10 kg over weight

Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

10 kg over weight

To whom it may concern in my last flight I paid 65$ for 10kg excess weight. Why ?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Because you were flying to/from Argentina, Brasil, Canada or the US. For an overweight piece of baggage (between 23 and 32 kg) they "only" ask for 65$ (50$ if booked online). An extra checked bag would've been 250$ (200$).

On all other routes, you have to pay every additional kilo. On LHR-DXB, you would have to pay 10x 30$ =300$ (or 250$ online).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: QR Plat
What class were you travelling in?

-A
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

pourasadm welcome to FlyerTalk and to the QR forum.

Your baggage allowance is based upon industry wide rules and regulations and are very complicated indeed. A brief introduction can be found in the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...allowance.html.
Your basic baggage allowance is shown on your E-ticket. To this you can add any bonus weight that you have via status in Oneworld and Privilege Club. There are other possible extra bonus allowances but they are rare and I will ignore them here.

Before a precise answer can be given you need to tell us your flight numbers and cabin class for the flights on your itinerary so we can apply the rules to your ticket. The answer we get should be no different from that on your E-ticket.
If there is more than one airline involved it is important to recognise that allowances differ from airline to airline.

If you exceed that allowance then you will have to pay excess baggage charges. See http://www.qatarairways.com/dk/en/ex...age-rates.page for details of QRs charges.

This answer is very general because the information you provide is too vague for a more precise answer.

But again what did your ticket state your allowance was?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:42 pm

When I read the title of this thread, I was sure it would be about me.

But anyway, are jou acrtually surprised that excess weight costs money? It's not just a ripoff, airlines actively try to deter people from taking more than their allowed weight.
Take off weight is a very relevant factor for airlines. If they would be more lenient this would mess up a whole lot of things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.