Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fbruno
Wiki Updated 2017-09-13 to include #610

QR fare rules for this one can be found here.

I have created a travel trips thread in the Japan forum. A good place to discuss hotels, trips, restaurants and maybe even arrange meet ups: The QR week(end) HND/NRT travel thread (2017)

Sorted by departure month:

November

Outbound
CPH-HND : 03/11/17 : denkigroove
LHR-HND : 03/11/17 : Cymro +1
BRU-NRT : 08/11/17 : mad_rich
AMS-NRT : 08.11.17 : jordie
AMS-HND : 13.11.17 UAPremierGuy
BRU-NRT : 15/11/17 : xtommox
AMS-HND : 15/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
AMS-NRT : 17/11/17 : polochick
BRU-NRT : 17/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-NRT 18/11)
LHR-HND : 18/11/17 : justatourist
AMS-HND : 19/11/17 : Tennislover9
AMS-HND : 20.11.17 : travellingjake +2
LHR-NRT : 23/11/17 : Pilot37
LHR-HND : 23/11/17 : Carofos
AMS-NRT : 24/11/17 : island82

Inbound
HND-AMS : 05/11/17 : toastedcafe
HND-AMS : 11/11/17 : Cymro +1
NRT-AMS : 12.11.17 : jordie
HND-AMS : 19.11.17 : UAPremierGuy
HND-AMS : 21/11/17 : phoneticduck +1
NRT-BRU : 22/11/17 : mad_rich
NRT-BRU : 23/11/17 : Asserti+1 (DOH-BRU 25/11)
HND-AMS : 25/11/17 : denkigroove
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : Tennislover9
HND-AMS : 26/11/17 : polochick
NRT-BRU : 26/11/17 : fbruno
HND-LHR : 27/11/17 : Pilot37
NRT-AMS : 28/11/17 : island82
NRT-BRU : 28/11/17 : xtommox
HND-LHR : 29/11/17 : Carofos
NRT-MAN : 30.11.17 : travellingjake +2

December

Outbound
BRU-HND : 04/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
AMS-NRT : 10/12/17 : NikaK +1

Inbound
NRT-AMS : 04/12/17 : justatourist
HND-AMS : 12/12/17 : jlisi984 +2
NRT-AMS : 14/12/17 : NikaK +1
Print Wikipost

The 'Sake Fare' Meet-Up Thread: AMS/BRU-DOH-TYO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:42 pm

Pochama I might give it a try, once I figured out what I want. Since I would likely get to AMS by car, it would only make sense if I could also relocate the outbound leg.
QYG from FRA would be my preferred option. It's not closer from HAM, but better train access (4h vs. 6h), better lounge and better plane.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by exeu2017
Data point: changed to LHR on both first and last sectors after consulting with supervisor, very little persuasion needed - got QR7/8 for both sectors. Very happy - even changed the outbound leg to 1 day earlier!

Hopefully the Q Suite sticks on this flight between now and October.

Only minor point is I'm stuck with only middle seats available for revised sector 2 DOH-HND on A358. I understand row 1 is reserved until 'check in' - when do you think it would be possible to try and snag one of those seats, at physical check-in at LHR? When I arrive at DOH for transit?

Thanks again.
Damn. I accepted change on the outbound only, but didn't press for a supervisor. Any idea if I'll have any luck calling back and pushing them for the other change now that it's been changed once?

[I did ask, but was told that it was not possible - so I may play the 'you misinformed me' card]

Last edited by etiene; Jul 24, 2017 at 4:21 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:36 am

Just tried to change my ticket. As I'd already booked a connecting flight to AMS the change is not ideal. Willing to change outbound to LHR, however said won't make any changes to the return [to LHR]. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, told they handle alot of these changes at the moment and they won't be able to change it any further. Changing to London was a 'goodwill' gesture. Agent was bordering rude however he was just trying to remain firm.

HUCA approach however anyone else getting the same message? Guess I should have called last week.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Just tried to change my ticket. As I'd already booked a connecting flight to AMS the change is not ideal. Willing to change outbound to LHR, however said won't make any changes to the return [to LHR]. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, told they handle alot of these changes at the moment and they won't be able to change it any further. Changing to London was a 'goodwill' gesture. Agent was bordering rude however he was just trying to remain firm.

HUCA approach however anyone else getting the same message? Guess I should have called last week.
I didn't escalate, but that's exactly what I was told [last Thursday]. I may try shortly and point out that others have been changed and that my agent obviously made a mistake. Be interested to hear how HUCA goes for you before I spend an hour on hold though...!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by etiene
I didn't escalate, but that's exactly what I was told [last Thursday]. I may try shortly and point out that others have been changed and that my agent obviously made a mistake. Be interested to hear how HUCA goes for you before I spend an hour on hold though...!
I tried escalating but he was adamant it wasn't possible. However will try again shortly and revert.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sorry, but for the inbound where there have been no schedule changes I still don't understand the logic for pressing QR to allow a change of destination?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Sorry, but for the inbound where there have been no schedule changes I still don't understand the logic for pressing QR to allow a change of destination?
Because for those with broken return positioning flights due to the 6 hour time change the inbound positioning is void when the outbound is not flown. Since the schedule change precludes flight of the first leg of the positioning ticket, the necessity of rebooking the second is thus QR's fault regardless of the unchanged inbound schedule.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BA gold, Hilton Diamond
Because for those with broken return positioning flights due to the 6 hour time change the inbound positioning is void when the outbound is not flown. Since the schedule change precludes flight of the first leg of the positioning ticket, the necessity of rebooking the second is thus QR's fault regardless of the unchanged inbound schedule.
Sorry, but I cannot see why QR should allow you a free of charge change because of your choice to book positioning flights? Your positioning flights are simply irrelevant to QR, and they have every right to deny a free change on your ticket when your schedule for one part of your QR trip is unaffected. QR's willingness to change flights affected by a change of schedule from AMS to LHR is as good as it gets.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:17 am

Who forced you to change the starting point in the first place? It's your choice to move the starting point to LHR for your convenience - something which I am very happy about of course.

Your positioning flights are your own business and nothing to do with QR, this is the case for any exEU booking you may have. QR is not responsible for your positioning issues.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Who forced you to change the starting point in the first place? It's your choice to move the starting point to LHR for your convenience - something which I am very happy about of course.

Your positioning flights are your own business and nothing to do with QR, this is the case for any exEU booking you may have. QR is not responsible for your positioning issues.
I agree entirely.

M
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:30 am

I disagree - by changing the flight schedule by a full six hours QR take ownership of the consequences which they clearly acknowledge by allowing a change of departure. Having to rebook the repositioning flights is a consequence of this change by QR, and they have allowed others to revise their destination too - implicitly taking responsibility for the inconvenience caused by their schedule change.

If the change were merely on the order of an hour or two I would agree - this is the risk we take with ex-EU itineraries and that's what we build large margins in for. When the airline changes the schedule by such a large amount within months of departure it is only right that they own the consequences. I had arranged an eight hour gap in AMS on the way back, but that is immaterial because neither the changed AMS flight or the revised LHR one allow me to fly the outbound.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:38 am

I disagree - by changing the flight schedule by a full six hours QR take ownership of the consequences which they clearly acknowledge by allowing a change of departure. Having to rebook the repositioning flights is a consequence of this change by QR, and they have allowed others to revise their destination too - implicitly taking responsibility for the inconvenience caused by their schedule change.

If the change were merely on the order of an hour or two I would agree - this is the risk we take with ex-EU itineraries and that's what we build large margins in for. When the airline changes the schedule by such a large amount within months of departure it is only right that they own the consequences. I had arranged an eight hour gap in AMS on the way back, but that is immaterial because neither the changed AMS flight or the revised LHR one allow me to fly the outbound.
You may disagree but there is no basis for what you suggest. The simple fact is that QR are not responsible for your postitioning full stop.

When booking an exEU you are solely responsible for positioning at the start and end. Now if there is a radical change in itinerary and you are using the same airline to position and do the exEU there are the occasional reports of that airline allowing a free change to the positioning flight. However clearly that isn't the case here.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Another way of thinking about this exchange. Something like:

Qatar: "Hi. We've retimed your flights, bringing them forward by six hours."
FlyerTalker: "Well, I'm not going to be in Amsterdam at that time."
QR: "Oh. Where will you be?"
FT: "London. Can you pick me up there instead?"
QR: "Okay, fine."
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:48 am

But to some degree, I can sympathize with etiene's point. QR messed up his positioning plans, if they would have just upheld their end of the bargain, there wouldn't be any problem (cost by cause principle).
I'm in a similar position (though there are plenty of ways around it in my case): What if I get to AMS by car and would now have to depart/arrive from a different airport? Of course you can say that positioning is my responsibility, but none the less, I won't be getting what was agreed and what might have been the reason for many arrangements I made.
I am not talking about legal entitlement rather than the ethical perspective (which likely won't give you much when dealing with airlines). In this particular case, the silver lining is that the flight was dirt cheap anyway. But if it would be about a full price ticket, I could understand anyone who's not too happy about such a change.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by armouredant
Another way of thinking about this exchange. Something like:

Qatar: "Hi. We've retimed your flights, bringing them forward by six hours."
FlyerTalker: "Well, I'm not going to be in Amsterdam at that time."
QR: "Oh. Where will you be?"
FT: "London. Can you pick me up there instead?"
QR: "Okay, fine."
Quite - a renegotiation of the contract between traveller and airline is triggered by the schedule change. Departing from London is one proposed solution to the renegotiation - departing and returning London is another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.