Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: plunet
New destinations 2017.

Announced for 2017:-

AKL - Auckland started 5 February 2017
CNX - Chiang Mai starts 12th December 2017 4 times weekly 7th December 2017 31st October 2017 16 December 2016 Routes Online Qatar Press Release
DLA - Douala starts 3 times weekly (Date TBA)
DUB - Dublin started 12 June 2017
KBP - Kiev Borispi - starts daily. From 28th August 2017. Link
KNO - Medan starts 4 times weekly (Date TBA)
LBV - Libreville starts 3 times weekly (Date TBA)
NCE - Nice started 4th July 2017 Link
OHS - Sohar starts 8th August 2017 Link
PRG - Prague started at relatively short notice on 21st August 2017 Link
SJJ - Sarajevo starts 4 times weekly on 31st October 2017. Link
SKP - Skopje started 17th July 2017 Link
TUU - Tabuk starts 19th June 2017 Link never started and would be suspended as of 6th June 2017.
YNB - Yanbu started 9th May 2017 28th March 2017 Link but suspended 6th June 2017.

Announced for 2018:

CBR - Canberra daily Starts 12th February 2018 via SYD. RoutesOnline
GIG - Rio de Janeiro starts 4 times weekly. Starts 30 January 2018.
LAS - Las Vegas starts 8th January 2018 3x weekly on 1st June 2018 Link, RoutesOnline
PEN - Penang, Malaysia, starts three weekly 6th February 2018. RoutesOnline,Press Release, Thread
SCL - Santiago starts 4 times weekly. Starts 30 January 2018.
UTP - U-Tapao Rayong Pattaya, starts four weekly 28 January 2018 Qatar Press Release

Lisbon and Lusaka were not mentioned in http://www.qatarairways.com/be/en/pr...17destinations.

New destinations 2016 can be seen here
New destinations 2015 can be seen here
Print Wikipost

New Destinations 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Many airlines do or have done dual Oz destination flights, I've been myself on such flights with the likes of CI and KE and they'd disembark all continuing passengers in the international area including in the lounge until it was time to reboard
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by plunet
This depends on the regulations of that country, and from a very practical point, if new domestic passengers can board the flight at the intermediate stopping point before flying onto the final domestic destination. If passengers can board, you now have a mixture of domestic and international passengers on the same flight, how would immigration and customs be able to sensibly separate the passengers and ensure that international passengers do not pass items that may need duty to be paid to the domestic passengers to take through as domestic goods?

It's probably more common in these situations for all passengers at intermediate stop points before flying onto another domestic airport to have to disembark and clear immigration, so they fly onwards as a domestic passenger. Luggage may be a different issue and it could be that luggage is cleared customs at the final destination.
Yes I can fully understand if they were carrying domestic passengers. However, as the article states:

"And before you ask, Qatar won't be able to sell the leg between Sydney and Canberra for domestic flights"

So, it will only be the passengers on the international flights. With a 1 hour layover, to get all existing passengers off the plane would take 15 - 20 minutes at least, and boarding would be 30 minutes prior to departure at least, it seems counter intuitive to do so.

However, as orbitmic says it has been the case with other carriers, so maybe it is a legal requirement. It is just the first time I have seen it happen. Other flights like CPT-JNB-DOH or JNB-DKR-JFK or IST-GRU-EZE through passengers stay on board.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:13 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by wijibintheair

However, as orbitmic says it has been the case with other carriers, so maybe it is a legal requirement. It is just the first time I have seen it happen. Other flights like CPT-JNB-DOH or JNB-DKR-JFK or IST-GRU-EZE through passengers stay on board.
In fairness in my experience in Oz it actually goes quite quickly. Also note that if I remember correctly, unfortunately, it means taking all hand luggage and going through security before anything else. On the plus side, QF lounges are great and have fabulous espresso so eligible pax will certainly enjoy that little treat!
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by plunet
This depends on the regulations of that country, and from a very practical point, if new domestic passengers can board the flight at the intermediate stopping point before flying onto the final domestic destination. If passengers can board, you now have a mixture of domestic and international passengers on the same flight, .....

It's probably more common in these situations for all passengers at intermediate stop points before flying onto another domestic airport to have to disembark and clear immigration, so they fly onwards as a domestic passenger. Luggage may be a different issue and it could be that luggage is cleared customs at the final destination.
In Australia it is fairly simple process. The flight SYD-CBR is treated as an international flight, and goes between international terminals. Customs/Quarantine and Immigration clearance is done at final destination (and immigration outbound at initial port). As pointed out by other posters, passengers are required disembark and pass through security again, although as Australia is generally an end of line destination (except for NZ/SWP connections), the security for intl-intl transfers tends to be very quick.

Foreign airlines do not have rights to sell domestic tag sectors (not sure if they can even sell stopovers on the same service, ie. DOH-SYD, SYD-CBR, CBR-DOH). However Australian airlines do have the ability to sell purely domestic journeys on tag flights, so you do get mixing of domestic and international passengers.

Jetstar do so now and Qantas have done in the past, and will do again soon when they commence MEL-PER-LHR services. Passengers booking domestically are rewarded with a "D" sticker on their boarding pass and do need to present that and appropriate photo ID at immigration in both directions, and also can potentially have their bags x-rayed for customs & quarantine purposes. (nb: it is not uncommon for Qantas Platinums to have a "day out" by purchasing a cheap jetstar fare, then accessing QF first lounge for a few hours, taking flight before returning home on normal domestic flight although these sort of tags are becoming much rarer now).
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:20 pm

Las Vegas not happening?

Is LAS-DOH still happening, or is Al Baker just jerking us around again?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:52 pm

lazarus89 according to the Wiki at the top of this page, which I assume you have read, DOH-LAS starts 8th January 2018.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 11:59 am

LAS will not be happening. There are zero plans to ever start this route. SFO on the horizon and then not until 2019 until the next US route comes online.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by remdk
lazarus89 according to the Wiki at the top of this page, which I assume you have read, DOH-LAS starts 8th January 2018.
I would assume that flights that are less than six months out would be bookable. This isn't actually the case, so color me skeptical.

Originally Posted by Downunderdesert
LAS will not be happening. There are zero plans to ever start this route. SFO on the horizon and then not until 2019 until the next US route comes online.
I'm really confused about why they keep on bringing this route up if they have no intention of flying it. I'm assuming they're trying to keep someone off balance, but *who* that someone could be is beyond me.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:43 pm

lazarus89 I think you, quite understandably, are being a little unfair to QR in this matter.
The lists of new routes are intentions not firm dates. Sometimes they never happen!

For example 4-5 years ago QR quietly launched HEL but cancelled it due to lack of aircraft after they started taking reservations.
LIS is not on the list for this year even though it has appeared four or five timed previously!

Look at the problems QR created for themselves and their customers by delaying the start of AKL flights after they had started making reservations.

QR seem to have learnt their lesson from AKL and HEL and will no longer schedule a new route until they are certain they can operate it.

You could be right that QR are trying to confuse someone but I think that for once QR have learned a lesson and are trying to avoid further disasters such as AKL and HEL.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: QR Platinum, LH Silver
Qatar Airways yesterday (09AUG17) opened reservation for its new service on Doha – Sarajevo route, set to commence on 31OCT17. The oneWorld member will be operating this route 4 times a week, on board Airbus A320 aircraft.

QR293 DOH0600 – 1000SJJ 320 7
QR293 DOH0640 – 1040SJJ 320 235

QR294 SJJ1100 – 1815DOH 320 7
QR294 SJJ1140 – 1855DOH 320 235

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-oct-2017/
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by miro776
Qatar Airways yesterday (09AUG17) opened reservation for its new service on Doha – Sarajevo route, set to commence on 31OCT17. The oneWorld member will be operating this route 4 times a week, on board Airbus A320 aircraft.

QR293 DOH0600 – 1000SJJ 320 7
QR293 DOH0640 – 1040SJJ 320 235

QR294 SJJ1100 – 1815DOH 320 7
QR294 SJJ1140 – 1855DOH 320 235

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...from-oct-2017/
will be interesting how the northbound flights do. Those are terrible DOH departure times.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Downunderdesert
will be interesting how the northbound flights do. Those are terrible DOH departure times.
I wonder if there is a freight element which has helped make the route viable.

M
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I wonder if there is a freight element which has helped make the route viable.

M
not on a narrow-body scale
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by onlySIA
AusBT says no possibility to fly just the domestic leg
https://www.ausbt.com.au/qatar-airwa...-february-2018

I assume that one stays airside at the international terminal at SYD, and clears immigration at CBR.
Excellent. Transferring to the domestic terminal in Sydney for a connection to Canberra following a long international flight is one of the more annoying travel experiences. Glad Qatar will bring an end to that for me !
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Braniff
Excellent. Transferring to the domestic terminal in Sydney for a connection to Canberra following a long international flight is one of the more annoying travel experiences. Glad Qatar will bring an end to that for me !
Agreed! Especially as most of the time I go to Canberra, part of me already wishes I could stay in Sydney or Melbourne instead anyway! At least a bit of time in the QF F lounge will make the last sector far more palatable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.