Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR Flights to Krabi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:17 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
The slots for KBV are being negotiated to be updated and as such KBV is currently suspended for sale until the slots are confirmed.
Thank you for the update. I'm trying to read between the lines here. I mean surely an acceptable charge would be have been decided on when they started the route (unless QR are going back for 'marketing funds'?).

It's the times that get me. I'm on a 02:20 DOH-KBV flight, so a normal flight time for west bound flights that connect with Europe flights, yet I see rest of the year the flights leave Doha at 05:30.

From LHR this leaves from 00:45 to 05:30 in Doha Airport - completely sub-optimal for anyone (better off routing via BKK). The majority of European flights arrive 11:00pm-01:30am (from 01:30 - 5:00 it's mainly cargo arrivals) - and no-one wants to hang around the airport at this time.

So I can only hope for the future of the route QR is negotiating better slots at KBV, and surely KBV would be mad not to work something out - they have bugger all decent long all scheduled airlines, and managed to lose MI & MH amongst others recently.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Thank you for the update. I'm trying to read between the lines here. I mean surely an acceptable charge would be have been decided on when they started the route (unless QR are going back for 'marketing funds'?).

It's the times that get me. I'm on a 02:20 DOH-KBV flight, so a normal flight time for west bound flights that connect with Europe flights, yet I see rest of the year the flights leave Doha at 05:30.

From LHR this leaves from 00:45 to 05:30 in Doha Airport - completely sub-optimal for anyone (better off routing via BKK). The majority of European flights arrive 11:00pm-01:30am (from 01:30 - 5:00 it's mainly cargo arrivals) - and no-one wants to hang around the airport at this time.

So I can only hope for the future of the route QR is negotiating better slots at KBV, and surely KBV would be mad not to work something out - they have bugger all decent long all scheduled airlines, and managed to lose MI & MH amongst others recently.
Its the times that are problem, they connect with exactly nothing of relevance in either direction.

Essentially what happened, as the story goes, KBV was announced then delayed but in the intervening months slots for were forgotten to be applied for then when it was realised they were missing all slots were refused and one of the big boy bosses had to fly to bangkok for 3 days to 'negotiate' (Ie dinner and soi cowboy) with the slot coordinator and the schedule that was on sale is the result... they accepted to the bad timings (including only a 60min turn in KBV) in the hope of improvement. This improvement has not been forthcoming at the moment so sales have been suspended until a solution has been found.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:07 am

Thank you, not one word you say surprises me. I can only presume the person is responsible for slots in Thailand rather than just Krabi as QR should be their most treasured tenant.

Not sure TAT will be overly impressed if the above is true, especially after supporting the short lived CNX route (short lived in terms of being on sale rather than actual flying). DOH-KBV-CNX - now there would be a route!
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:46 am

The schedule for S17 has been updated with the new timings
DOHKBV 2020/0710+1 x157
KBVDOH 0855/11:50 x126

W16 remains with the crap times.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
The schedule for S17 has been updated with the new timings
DOHKBV 2020/0710+1 x157
KBVDOH 0855/11:50 x126

W16 remains with the crap times.
Looks like QR are updating my booking today, as have confirmed and not confirmed flights in MMB for our trip at the end of May.

I'll see what we have been left with once the route is back up for sale but it's not looking good at the moment. The times don't really work out as good.

Are QR usually reasonable about a reroute from an airport within 500miles?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Looks like QR are updating my booking today, as have confirmed and not confirmed flights in MMB for our trip at the end of May.

I'll see what we have been left with once the route is back up for sale but it's not looking good at the moment. The times don't really work out as good.

I checked MMB and they expect me to time travel to connect to my onward flight to KBV from DOH. I arrive at 0040 from MAD, and the next flight was supposed to leave at 2000. Transit time of negative 4 hours 40 min
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jgp777
I checked MMB and they expect me to time travel to connect to my onward flight to KBV from DOH. I arrive at 0040 from MAD, and the next flight was supposed to leave at 2000. Transit time of negative 4 hours 40 min
same here, I have a negative 3hr25 connection for the MXP-KBV leg. For some reason at the moment our KBV-DOH is now on the 02/06 but DOH-MXP remains the 04/06. So 36hrs in DOH....
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by MHendo84

Would BKK be a reasonable re-route?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jgp777
Would BKK be a reasonable re-route?
i was kind of hoping to do only 1 connection, as I'm already positioning from/to LHR on the day of the QR flights.

But judging QR's current offering these would work out better/closer to what was booked originally.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:21 am

Bejesus - my PNR doesn't look good today. TImes and days of the KBV flights have changed.

Only 36 hours in Doha on the way out, 12 on the way back. I'm going to fight for a reroute via BKK on the QR codeshares from BKK-KBV. What do you reckon my chances are?

HKT is 2nd choice, let's wait and see. I'm sure they won't cover the extra costs of getting to Koh Lanta
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
HKT is 2nd choice, let's wait and see. I'm sure they won't cover the extra costs of getting to Koh Lanta
KBV to Koh Lanta is not a quick transfer. It takes over 1 to 2 hours by car/boat, depending on where your hotel is.

HKT to Koh Lanta you can do by ferry. It does take 4 hrs, but it is a very enjoyable start (and end) to your holiday. It makes a stop at Koh Phi Phi as well.

You can also do a private speedboat transfer from Phuket but you need your sea legs for that. I can be very bumpy and people find it scary sometimes. More information here: http://amazinglanta.com/phuket-to-ko...boat-transfer/
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold
I have the same problem - now suddenly a 36 connection on the way out and a 12 hr on the way back. Has anyone had success yet in an appropriate reroute ie. via BKK or HKT?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Gold
Good news - in a way. Took a couple of goes to get through and a 30 min wait on the phone and then a very helpful and flexible agent. Rerouted via BKK on the way there no problem.

On the way back it was more problematic. There are only 12 J seats DOH-HEL and I'd already booked 4 of them. Slightly kafkaesque moment in that they couldn't reroute me onto the same plane (on which I already had 4 J seats) because there weren't another 4 available. So instead they've rerouted me via IST on Turkish which actually gives better flight times (ie. a long overnight from BKK to IST).

Last question (maybe need to post on the BA forum :-) ), with an involuntary reroute like this, do you think BA will still credit the tier points/miles from the original itinerary. They have in the past when flying on BA metal and I've had involuntary reroutes onto other airlines.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Your question is indeed answered on the BA forum. If crediting to BAEC, you need to contact them in the first instance. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...r-s-guide.html

There was a similar question over on the board about this today and there was talk of "double dipping" which may be of interest. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-my-avios.html
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by andyedinburgh
I have the same problem - now suddenly a 36 connection on the way out and a 12 hr on the way back. Has anyone had success yet in an appropriate reroute ie. via BKK or HKT?
Offered a re-route via BKK - havn't accepted, considering HKT or possibly a full refund and alternate airline. KBV is still operating but poor connections from MAN. Presume EDI is the same.

Thanks Henky - done the ferry before, if it was just me I couldn't care less, but a few of us!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.