QR J Oslo Departure Question

Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
QR J Oslo Departure Question

I am booked on a QR departure in J from Oslo at 9:15 a.m. on a Saturday morning flight.
If any forum member has experience of Oslo as a long haul departure point, I would appreciate your advice on how long before the flight you think I would need to arrive as I am travelling with carry-on baggage only, so no need to check in a hold bag.
Presumably I can just print off my boarding pass and go straight through security but not sure how long I should plan for as I have not used Oslo before.
Many thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm currently in the lounge in OSL. Security was a breeze with fast-track (other than getting pinged due to camera equipment looking funny). We were warned that passport control is very busy today - but we don't appear to come across that until we make our way towards the gate.

I can report back later!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I am booked on a QR departure in J from Oslo at 9:15 a.m. on a Saturday morning flight.
If any forum member has experience of Oslo as a long haul departure point, I would appreciate your advice on how long before the flight you think I would need to arrive as I am travelling with carry-on baggage only, so no need to check in a hold bag.
Presumably I can just print off my boarding pass and go straight through security but not sure how long I should plan for as I have not used Oslo before.
Many thanks.
Oslo airport is quite small. Security is usually quite fast , but passport control might take a bit longer. 2 hours before the flight is ok if traveling in J (as you are).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Poster

That would be most appreciated, thank you.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
Oslo airport is quite small. Security is usually quite fast , but passport control might take a bit longer. 2 hours before the flight is ok if traveling in J (as you are).
That's great, many thanks. (Don't want to get up at silly o'clock if I can avoid it)
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:19 am

Just took us 45 mins to clear passport control on the way to the gate. Queue of 400 people, I reckon.

People missing flights left, right and centre; mothers with babies crying and zero structure to help prioritise those in danger of missing flights.

Apparently there are strikes today, hence this issue. But do be wary. Lady at checkin told us of possible issues but it was worse than I imagined.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrvincent
Just took us 45 mins to clear passport control on the way to the gate. Queue of 400 people, I reckon.

People missing flights left, right and centre; mothers with babies crying and zero structure to help prioritise those in danger of missing flights.

Apparently there are strikes today, hence this issue. But do be wary. Lady at checkin told us of possible issues but it was worse than I imagined.
Thanks for the feedback and sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Hopefully the strike issues will be over by the time we travel in a month or so. Enjoy your trip!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
They board very early

We were lucky when we went passport was 10 minutes or less

Surprised when we got to gate, they had almost finished boarding one hour before departure time, they like to get away fast
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: QR Plat
A quick not about passport queues at OSL:

The local branch of the police that is in charge of manning the passport screening for non-Schengen flights are using this as a pressure point to get more resources.

Basically they tend to close the queues for EU/EEC passports, then herding it all into one or two queues for all passports. This past friday they had even given warnings that they would possible have to close passport queues all togehter, as they had so much pressing work that this function could not have been done.

I've been passing through while this has been bubling away for a few weeks, and you might get anything from no queue to 2 hours, at random.

It's even ended up with ministerial visits to OSL and all kinds of fun.

Basically the local constabulary that is now putting the squeeze on is coming off as a group of over-entitled functionaries that seem to be somewhat out of touch with reality, however the staff you meet manning the queue is always polite and curteous.

I have some QR flights coming up, but I'll likely book them so that I transit ARN or CPH, just to avoid the fun altogether.

-A
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:13 pm

Security is normally pretty quick in OSL, especially in the Fast Track lane. The lounge (which is ok) is before immigration. Then, as others have mentioned, you need to go through to the non-Schengen area. The last time I passed through it took about 15 mins in the EU line.

I would arrive at the airport a minimum 90 mins before the flight, and check what the immigration line is like as soon as you get airside. If it looks long, then get queueing! There is pretty much nothing to do in the non-Schengen side, just a shop and cafe.

The OSL building is nice architecturally, but it really isn't fit for purpose. Even excluding the potential immigration lines, the very linear and narrow layout means that a lot of gates are a very long walk (and it's so cramped and busy, there is no room for travelators). I wonder if the new pier will be better? Really instead of the "two very long thin sticks" layout, they should have gone with a "central bubble with numerous short sticks"! Baggage reclaim area is also a mess....so busy and dark! I hate OSL!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:47 pm

I've flown QR to/from OSL a couple of times recently. Maybe I'm more reckless/ averse to early mornings, but I would aim to be at check-in or entering security (if hand baggage only) just over 60 mins pre-departure.

Industrial action aside - a major consideration I have not experienced - security and passport control are quick. Got caught out once by the lounge (good, especially the "Premium" section) being pre-passport control, and, yes, they do board early. Make certain to be at the gate >20 mins pre-dep.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Just read on a Norwegian news website that the airport police/security have been given the go ahead to employ an extra 14 new staff. If correct, this will help to alleviate the problem.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:37 am

One of the management just announced to the check in queue that we were to proceed directly through passport control due to the ongoing delays

30mins in the J check in queue as one desk didn't have working boarding pass printer and there was a complete lack of urgency in obtaining my boarding passes from anywhere else !!

Now in the lounge drinking "red wine" a la tap.

Not impressed so far... will update on the passport situation
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:38 am

Well I'm not sure of the situation really!

When I got to the booths there was a long queue for "all passports " but a signed route for EU that was empty. So I pottered down there and got seen to immediately, then people started jumping out of the queue to follow me. So either a) people were all in the wrong line or b) the EU segregation was just coming back online and I got lucky
Old Sep 14, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Sounds like a bit of a shambles, doesn't it ?

Last edited by TheOldMan; Sep 15, 2016 at 6:40 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.