More schedule changes

Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
More schedule changes

Is it just me, or is there a whole plethora of schedule changes going on at the moment?

I have one particular journey, which is now only 2 months away, ARN-DOH-KUL, which has probably had 6-7 time changes in the last month. Some of these are 10-20 minute changes, and now the outbound departure time has been brought forward by almost 2 hours. Good thing I had booked a massive 6 hour cushion for my connecting flight in from LHR, especially with oneworld's no-notice luggage check-thru policy change...

What's going on? Equipment changes and selective cancellations is one thing, but can't QR keep to a published schedule?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:51 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by kt74
Is it just me, or is there a whole plethora of schedule changes going on at the moment?

I have one particular journey, which is now only 2 months away, ARN-DOH-KUL, which has probably had 6-7 time changes in the last month. Some of these are 10-20 minute changes, and now the outbound departure time has been brought forward by almost 2 hours. Good thing I had booked a massive 6 hour cushion for my connecting flight in from LHR, especially with oneworld's no-notice luggage check-thru policy change...

What's going on? Equipment changes and selective cancellations is one thing, but can't QR keep to a published schedule?
It is likely that the Winter 2017 timetable has just been loaded in, hence the thread posted earlier about flights to and from DEL.

All airlines do this, and I have had around 20 (yes, TWENTY) schedule changes from AA over the past 3 days because they too, are playing with the timetables.

It is perfectly normal, and comes down to a host of factors.

Sixth Freedom (I think) has commented on the reasons behind the changes previously, and in some detail.

Nothing to worry about though, but do keep an eye on your bookings - or use an App like MyFlightsApp to keep on top of things.

Safe travels,

M
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
50 minutes connection

I've just received notification from Checkmytrip.com I am flying AMS-DOH-HKG and my connection time is now just 50 minutes. I know QR publish a 45 mins MCT, but I arrive at Doha at 1:30am and depart 2:20am. Will the 50 minutes connection be do'able without having to sprint (I'm in biz class)?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Slotski
I've just received notification from Checkmytrip.com I am flying AMS-DOH-HKG and my connection time is now just 50 minutes. I know QR publish a 45 mins MCT, but I arrive at Doha at 1:30am and depart 2:20am. Will the 50 minutes connection be do'able without having to sprint (I'm in biz class)?
While I can imagine a situation with gates at extreme opposite ends of the terminal, thus requiring you to walk at a fairly brisk pace, 50 minutes should be fine.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:07 pm

Slotski unless your connection is very late there should be no problem. I have a similar connection to HKG next Tuesday and I am not worried. Prior to landing the IFE usually shows the departure gates for all connections. Be prepared and note the gate number. That alone can save several minutes!
You have the advantage of fasttrack security so just relax, don't rush and it will be no problem.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I know it sounds obvious but as long as your inbound is on time, You should make it. Back in May, My AMS->DOH flight was delayed in AMS by a broken down tug. We were 15 minutes late into DOH and trying to make a 50min connection to BKK, I thought they might have had a rep with a buggy ready to go but alas no. There was a cs rep there but his job was to take us to ticketing and get us rebooked onto the later BKK flight. We were well taken care of by QR and had lots of nice food and drink in Al Mourjan. There are worse places to spend 6 hours.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Will the 50 minutes connection be do'able without having to sprint (I'm in biz class)?
As the others have said, it is doable, provided you are on time. However, as little as 10 minutes delay will make it tight, and having done it in business before, I certainly wouldn't want to do it again, and would not dream of suggesting it in economy

In fact, knowing DOH, I would never have booked anything as foolish as that - it was a schedule change that made my planned 90-120 minute connections all 45-50 mins. The problem with DOH is there are so many bus gates, all bus arrivals are re-screened, and the bus departures happen from the other end of the terminal (genius design!)

This is my other issue with the QR scheduling at the moment. When there used to be one main East-West bank in the morning, connections were typically a sensible 1.5-2.5 hrs. After the banks were split about a year ago, 45-60 minute connections are all too common, and really unpleasant. Has anyone seen the rescreening security area look anything other than a zoo?! It's not as if they look at the x-rays or check when the scanners beep...

Anyway, my tips would be: be prepared to push into the security queue, have running shoes, and travel light in clothes you don't mind sweating in
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your tips and advice. It is annoying that my original booking had a connection time of 1 hour 25 minutes.

I have connected through Doha quite a few times, always in Business and with a long connection time. The security appears to be a joke, none of the staff seem to be taking the beeps and x-rays seriously.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
kt74 +1

kt74 +1

I have a 55min connection after a schedule change for early oct coming from AMS and don't like it at all.

Last change was from BRU to BKK reduced to 50 min.
Plane departed 10 min late due to ATC although ready to go 15 min early, stress starts at point of origin. Landed DOH 10 min late also. Booking mentioned help required at DOH, was a bus connection, no one from QR to see at arrivals, security check a mess.
Had to run like crazy, had problem boarding gate closed.
Finally flight to BKK left 30 min late waiting for OSL pax and my bags did not make it, adding more stress at BKK, had connecting domestic flight, nearly missed connection also and had to return UTH airport next day to pick up bags.

No more of this for me, less than 60 min is unacceptable.

I do have 6 DOH connections booked, only one with less than 60 minutes, it's one too much...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
I've had some changes forced on me...

Flying:
CPT-DOH QR1370 13/NOV 13.20-23.20
DOH-OSL QR175 14/NOV 06.45-11.40 changed to 08.25-13.25

So, now we qualify for the transit hotel where we did not before, as we are traveling to a valid destination and 8hrs+ transit, and there is no earlier direct connection.

But, this was one of the supersaver fares from Oslo, OSL-DOH-CPT for ~700, and not all fares are valid for the transit hotel offer.

Do you guys think I'll have any luck getting the hotel offer?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:16 pm

BA038_Passenger I doubt that STPC will apply.
You need to have spent USD 400 on a sector before STPC is even considered

This is how you can calculate it:
Your basis for calculating STPC is half the Ticket fare plus the YQ fuel surcharge divided by two for a return journey and converted to USD

Using the extract of a fare breakdown from an E-ticket shown below as an example
Ticket fare plus
Fuel surcharge (YQxx)
divided by two for a return ticket
and converted to USD
i.e. 7768 + 2660 = 10428/2 = 5214 DKK
5214 /6.58 = USD792.40

"Ticket Fare: DKK 7768.00
Total paid: DKK 10774.00
Taxes and Carrier imposed Fees: DKK 2660.00 Fuel Surcharge (YQAC) , DKK 56.00 Fiscal Tax (YRVB) , DKK179.00 Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) (ZOAE) , DKK 8.00 Passenger Service Charge Departures (PZSE) , DKK 103.00 Air Passenger
Departure Tax (HKAE)"
1 USD = DKK 6.58

In the above EXAMPLE calculation the fare qualifies You need to do the arithmetic on your ticket yourself. GBP 1.00 = USD 1.32
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
I've had some flight changes imposed which means I now have a 35 min connection time from my OSL flight arriving to my flight to SIN departing. Is this doable or should I push Qatar to rebook either the OSL or SIN flight?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by gorps1
I've had some flight changes imposed which means I now have a 35 min connection time from my OSL flight arriving to my flight to SIN departing. Is this doable or should I push Qatar to rebook either the OSL or SIN flight?
MCT at HIA used to be 35mins, but it then moved to 45mins around 15 months ago.

I'm surprised that QR have booked you under the MCT, so I'd definitely give them a ring to check things.

Make sure that your connection is 35mins...and not 1 day and 35mins!

Safe travels,

M
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
MCT at HIA used to be 35mins, but it then moved to 45mins around 15 months ago.

I'm surprised that QR have booked you under the MCT, so I'd definitely give them a ring to check things.

Make sure that your connection is 35mins...and not 1 day and 35mins!

Safe travels,

M
Thanks M. I've just double checked and it is a 35 min connection - good call though. I'll ring Qatar and see if they'll transfer me to a LHR to DOH outbound service as all the other Scandinavian/Dutch flights I've checked all arrive at around the same time.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gorps1
Thanks M. I've just double checked and it is a 35 min connection - good call though. I'll ring Qatar and see if they'll transfer me to a LHR to DOH outbound service as all the other Scandinavian/Dutch flights I've checked all arrive at around the same time.
Good luck with that! But seriously, let us know how you get on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.