Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chiang Mai (CNX) shelved

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Chiang Mai (CNX) shelved

Thought there was a New Routes Thread, but can't find it, so a bit of disappointing news.

CHIANG MAI ( CNX ) Flight Postponement

Due to operational constrains on start of operations, flights to/from Chiang Mai ( CNX ) has been postponed until further notice.
Rebooking for ticketed bookings available via RGN or BKK.

Shame - but I thought the add-on from RGN removed a lot of the commercial benefits of the route.

Still, I hear that Krabi is doing better than expected?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
QR's fares to Phuket have always been significantly higher than Bangkok, to the extent that it has always been much cheaper to get a separate ticket for the domestic hop from/to BKK. Competition, or lack thereof, I assume. I didn't look at Chiang Mai fares but I guess the same would have applied.

I've just spent a couple of weeks in Chiang Mai, which has now become my favourite part of Thailand. So much friendlier and chilled than any other city I've visited.

Lounges at DOH are currently rammed
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Blue
Does anyone know what this will mean for the new timetable for RGN?

Currently the 3x weekly service lands at c. 6am and departs at c. 8am.

With the CNX add on the proposal was 5x weekly, an arrival into RGN (from Doha) at c. 11am and departure from RGN (to DOH) at c. 7pm.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

This is what I can see (havn't checked every period - this is next Jan / Feb

QR 918 DOH RGN 0230 1200 .23.567
QR 919 RGN DOH 1840 2215 .23.567

on a 332.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: QRPC-Silver & Star-Alliance
I'm disappointed to hear of this potential change, since I have a confirmed-booking CNX-DOH-LHR-DOH-CNX in May, hopefully QR will get round to contacting paid/confirmed-passengers like myself whether they'll be offering flights on Bangkok-Air to connect via Bangkok instead, and of course at no extra cost !

I agree that the one-hour stop in Rangoon en-rote was unwelcome, but not a deal-breaker since we still avoided having to connect via BKK, so long as the CNX-LHR fare was similar to the BKK-LHR fare, which it was when I booked.

Prices for this new route have been all-over-the-place over the past few months, between B31k-B38k, perhaps if they had stuck with something sensible (like the B27.5k at which I booked) there might have been more interest ? And more publicity in northern-Thailand might also have helped sales !

Last edited by Richard Bell; Aug 6, 2016 at 1:38 am
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Richard Bell
I'm disappointed to hear of this potential change, since I have a confirmed-booking CNX-DOH-LHR-DOH-CNX in May, hopefully QR will get round to contacting paid/confirmed-passengers like myself whether they'll be offering flights on Bangkok-Air to connect via Bangkok instead, and of course at no extra cost !

I agree that the one-hour stop in Rangoon en-rote was unwelcome, but not a deal-breaker since we still avoided having to connect via BKK, so long as the CNX-LHR fare was similar to the BKK-LHR fare, which it was when I booked.

Prices for this new route have been all-over-the-place over the past few months, between B31k-B38k, perhaps if they had stuck with something sensible (like the B27.5k at which I booked) there might have been more interest ? And more publicity in northern-Thailand might also have helped sales !
It is not a matter of interest or demand. It could be related to issues with their proposed schedules at CNX vis-a-vis availability of aircraft stands for wide body aircraft. The airport authority could have approved a proposed schedule and then requested changes later on. There were similar issues at HKT. The key words are here "Due to operational constrains on start of operations" and I understand CNX has aircraft stand shortages at certain times of the day.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by N1Rotate

It is not a matter of interest or demand. It could be related to issues with their proposed schedules at CNX vis-a-vis availability of aircraft stands for wide body aircraft. The airport authority could have approved a proposed schedule and then requested changes later on. There were similar issues at HKT. The key words are here "Due to operational constrains on start of operations" and I understand CNX has aircraft stand shortages at certain times of the day.
QR are more than welcome to substitute CEB for CNX.

I've got a QR F/J CAI-DOH-MNL and v.v. itinerary coming up. I've got to transfer terminals and airlines at MNL for my onward MNL-CEB flight; I'm dreading the experience.

It used to be the case that I could fly CAI-DOH-HKG-CEB (thereby avoiding MNL) with QR/CX, but since CX dropped DOH-HKG QR have made some alterations to the timing of their own DOH-HKG flights, as a consequence that particular itinerary isn't available for booking at present.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:02 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Richard Bell

Transferring at BKK is not particularly traumatic.

Yes, there is a fair bit of walking, but that is comparable to most major airports in Asia - the difference being that there is only 1 terminal fortunately.

I presume this route will commence later in the year, but by all means contact QR proactively to ask about your options - no point waiting any longer than necessary, just to then whinge that QR haven't been in touch (as seems to be popular on FT in general!).

Do let us know how you get on, as there may be quite a few for whom the information would be useful.

Safe travels,

M
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer

I've got a QR F/J CAI-DOH-MNL and v.v. itinerary coming up. I've got to transfer terminals and airlines at MNL for my onward MNL-CEB flight; I'm dreading the experience.

It used to be the case that I could fly CAI-DOH-HKG-CEB (thereby avoiding MNL) with QR/CX, but since CX dropped DOH-HKG QR have made some alterations to the timing of their own DOH-HKG flights, as a consequence that particular itinerary isn't available for booking at present.
AAB already dropped hints to the press recently of resumption of the non-stop CEB route pending aircraft deliveries.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:22 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
AAB already dropped hints to the press recently of resumption of the non-stop CEB route pending aircraft deliveries.
MrsPtF (who I think is from the Philippines) will be delighted at the news...as will PtF who will be able to get back quicker!

As for me, I'll be thrilled when it's announced as I can then start planning a trip to the Philippines - which looks like heaven!
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC
Shame to see CNX being delayed. QR is becoming the carrier with most variety of Thai destinations. I guess the runway at USM is too short for a longhual flight?

Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
QR's fares to Phuket have always been significantly higher than Bangkok
I flew into HKT last month as the fare was much cheaper than BKK! YMMV

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Didn't QR fly into CEB years ago? One stop via SIN? How come they dropped it?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Poster

QR definitely used to have a CEB service - i've a sneaking suspicion prior to a MNL service as well?

Anyway, with regards to rebooking, i'll plonk this here if it helps. Of course it's only for ticketed passengers.
Rebooking/ Re protecting options are free of charge, under the following conditions:

Rebook using Qatar Airways services to/from BKK or RGN then onward flight to/from CNX using one of our partner Airline TG/PG/8M and following the respective classes listed in chart below.

Airline
PG via RGN G / T / K / M / Y -
PG via BKK G / T / K / M / Y -
TG via BKK S / K -
8M via BKK L Z
So those in Business you will only be rebooked in Business as far as BKK as I don't think 8M fly RGN-CNX?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
In my experience, both PG and TG are fine BKK-CNX and vv. PG push their boutique thing and it's nice to have a 'lounge' at both BKK and CNX, if only for a comfy seat, free soft drinks and wifi. They use a one-class A320 on this route.

I choose TG if I want to fly in a larger aircraft - B777 or A333, both of which have a business class cabin.

Both could teach US and European carriers a lesson in operating short domestic services ... hot meal, drinks and coffee in under an hour.

The so-called CIQ transfer process at BKK works well if somewhat counter-intuitively. You do not pass customs and immigration until arrival at CNX, despite boarding a domestic flight. Smokers should not rush to the BKK domestic terminal (A & B gates) as there are no airside smoking facilities.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Transferring at BKK is not particularly traumatic.

Yes, there is a fair bit of walking, but that is comparable to most major airports in Asia - the difference being that there is only 1 terminal fortunately.

I presume this route will commence later in the year, but by all means contact QR proactively to ask about your options - no point waiting any longer than necessary, just to then whinge that QR haven't been in touch (as seems to be popular on FT in general!).

Do let us know how you get on, as there may be quite a few for whom the information would be useful.

Safe travels,

M
Thanks, I'll give it a couple-of-weeks to see if they do proactively contact me, then start trying to speak to them down in their Bangkok-office.

Hopefully they will still commence before May, in which case no problem, for me at least.

Direct-flights from Chiang Mai will save us all time, as its a relatively-small & quieter airport (only several million PAX pa, but growing !), just ten or so Gates compared to Swampy, easier Security and Immigration too.

It is certainly not necessary to check-in so early as when transiting through BKK, especially now that one needs to buy a (more expensive) single-ticket or allow significant extra time to inter-line on two PNRs.

I'll definitely provide an update, when there's anything to report.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:17 pm

OK, so having left it for a week or so, no email or attempt to contact me by Qatar re the flight-cancellation, I've now contacted the nearest Qatar-office in Bangkok, who confirm that they needed to rebook me as the CNX-DOH won't operate in May.

This was done efficiently, Bangkok Airways to Suvarnabhumi, then QR835 to Doha, which is unfortunately on a 3-4-3 seating B773, I'd been trying to avoid that experience !

And the same on the return trip, although they did try to put me on the B773 LHR-DOH as well, I held out for the A380 running 45-minutes earlier, and was given it without problem.

One can only hope for the airline to eventually start this route, I'd tend to use them by preference in that case, otherwise I'll definitely look at cheaper alternatives since I'm forced to fly via BKK anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.