Transiting in J through Doha on Qatar

Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Transiting in J through Doha on Qatar

Hi,

A quick last minute question. Tomorrow I'm flying QR in J from BHX-DOH-SIN.

Normally when transiting I just follow the transfer signage. But a brief bit of googling today I see references to Premium buses, a (separate?) Premium Transfer terminal and purple wallets needed to access those. I've checked in on-line today so I just have a couple of b&w sheets of A4!

I think a lot of what I have seen may apply to the old airport? How easy is it, and do I need to think about checking in in person at BHX if I do need that purple wallet?

TIA,
Bulkhead.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:37 am
Suspended

Transiting at DOH is super easy. Very nice airport. Just follow the signs. However, I suggest going to the lounge first if you have time.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bulkhead
Hi,

A quick last minute question. Tomorrow I'm flying QR in J from BHX-DOH-SIN.

Normally when transiting I just follow the transfer signage. But a brief bit of googling today I see references to Premium buses, a (separate?) Premium Transfer terminal and purple wallets needed to access those. I've checked in on-line today so I just have a couple of b&w sheets of A4!

I think a lot of what I have seen may apply to the old airport? How easy is it, and do I need to think about checking in in person at BHX if I do need that purple wallet?

TIA,
Bulkhead.
You may have stumbled across some old info;

The bit about Premium buses will be correct if your flight doesn't park up at a jet bridge.
The Premium terminal bit is referring to the old airport (unfortunately).
The purple wallets are still given out if you're transferring through DOH as somewhere to keep your onward boarding passes. Access to the lounge is obtained when your boarding cards are scanned at the entrance.

As mentioned, if you put aside some of the distances involved, the airport is relatively easy to get around, though some of the signage could be improved.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 10:19 am

bulkhead DOH has contact gates and remote stands. For contact gates you may arrive from a 'secure' origin and will be directed directly into the departure area. I think BHX is often on the secure list. Otherwise you have to follow the signs to Transfer and go through Security to enter the departure area. For remote gates a dedicated J bus will take you to the transfer area. Since you appear to already have your onward boarding pass just go through security and enter the departure area. There are dedicated F and J Fasttrack lanes in the middle of the security area.

Departure is always from a gate but if the aircraft is remotely parked you will be taken from a so called Bus gate to the aircraft by a dedicated J bus. Bus gates are one floor below the main concourse. C-gates halfway down and D and E at the end of the C wing. Bus gates are numbered 20-30 for C, D and E wings.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
I'm going to be transiting DOH as well, coming from BOS and then out to MLE the next morning --- we are planning on heading to the lounge and staying at "The Airport Hotel" for 6ish hours, so can somebody advise on what our process is?

Do we follow the signs for transit passengers, clear passport control, back into the departure hall? Then, the lounge and Airport Hotel are located in that area? So we can wake-up the next morning and just walk to the gate, no security or check-in needed?

Also, our plan is to head to the lounge when we land, hang out there for dinner/drinks, then head to Airport Hotel to sleep and back to the lounge in the morning for breakfast before we leave for MLE.....just clarifying, this all will be done after we clear the transit-passenger security when we land in DOH that day?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:32 pm

Ender4576 just follow the signs for Transfer. If you have your onward boarding passes then go through security and into the airside departure area. There is no passport control for transfer. The Airport hotel and lounges are all airside.

A word of warning: the airport hotel, which is airside, is usually fully booked a long time in advance. So unless you already have a confirmed reservation you are unlikely to get a room.

You give no information as to flight numbers, cabin class or OW status so my reply must be as vague as your question.

If you are traveling in J then you will have access to Al Mourjan lounge. The lounge has a number of private sleeping rooms which are on a first come first served basis.

If you are not in J then any lounge your OW status gives you access to has no sleeping rooms.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know how I got on from SIN.

Bulkhead.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Just been reading some of the responses and another question. Is 45 minutes sufficient time to transfer?

I'm in J from LHR qr 0010 then transferring to SIN on the 0942.

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:46 pm

carat22 45 mins is the MCT (Minimum Connection Time) for DOH so there should be no problem but it may be a bit of a rush if QR10 is late arriving.
QR10 arrives from a 'Secure' airport (LHR) so unless selected for a random security check you will exit the aircraft directly into the departure concourse. Most versions of the IFE display departure gates for connecting flights prior to landing so it is just a case of getting to the departure gate. should you be late arriving then there will be staff on hand to get you through to the new departure gate.
Even with security checks it is possible to make the connection.
Baggage handling in DOH is excellent and your luggage will most likely be onboard the aircraft before you are!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
Originally Posted by remdk
Ender4576 just follow the signs for Transfer. If you have your onward boarding passes then go through security and into the airside departure area. There is no passport control for transfer. The Airport hotel and lounges are all airside.

A word of warning: the airport hotel, which is airside, is usually fully booked a long time in advance. So unless you already have a confirmed reservation you are unlikely to get a room.

You give no information as to flight numbers, cabin class or OW status so my reply must be as vague as your question.

If you are traveling in J then you will have access to Al Mourjan lounge. The lounge has a number of private sleeping rooms which are on a first come first served basis.

If you are not in J then any lounge your OW status gives you access to has no sleeping rooms.

Sorry for not providing more detail, I am traveling in J so was planning on using the Al Mourjan lounge for dinner when we land. The Airport Hotel we were looking to book for the 6 hour stint if we couldn't find 2 open "sleeping rooms" in the lounge --- that's good information that it's usually sold out in advance. I'll send them an e-mail now to ask about getting the room for 6 hours (they require e-mail for the hourly rate it seems). I'm on an AA Award ticket, so unfortunately I don't qualify for the STPC.

Thanks for the input!!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remdk
DOH has contact gates and remote stands. For contact gates you may arrive from a 'secure' origin and will be directed directly into the departure area.
I think that there may be some other system. When I arrive from CMB pax are directed right into the departure area with no security; but no way is CMB a particularly secure airport.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Al Mourjan private sleeping rooms

Hi all, just came across this thread and wanted to see if I could get some clarification. I've transited I'm DOH twice, but each time I had 1.5hrs so only had time for a snack and shower. Will be flying in J from CMB-DOH-BOS with a 7hr layover in DOH.

- I was under the impression that only the Al Safwa (F) lounge had private sleeping rooms. Does Al Mourjan (Biz) lounge have them as well?
- Does anyone know if flights from CMB arrive at a gate location or an apron location where I will need to wait for the buses?
- The CMB-DOH flight is operated by an A340-600, which according to seat guru has a F section. On QR's website, I can only book business fares and it's says no F class is available. Is it one of those flights where F seats are reserved for elites but served as Business class?

Apologies if these questions have already been answered. I couldn't seem to find it in any of the threads. Many thanks in advance!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I fly CMB-DOH-BOS fairly regularly. The 346s do not have an F section. I've never arrived at DOH at a bus gate. Doesn't mean that you won't; but I believe it unlikely.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by bostan
Hi all, just came across this thread and wanted to see if I could get some clarification. I've transited I'm DOH twice, but each time I had 1.5hrs so only had time for a snack and shower. Will be flying in J from CMB-DOH-BOS with a 7hr layover in DOH.

- I was under the impression that only the Al Safwa (F) lounge had private sleeping rooms. Does Al Mourjan (Biz) lounge have them as well?
- Does anyone know if flights from CMB arrive at a gate location or an apron location where I will need to wait for the buses?
- The CMB-DOH flight is operated by an A340-600, which according to seat guru has a F section. On QR's website, I can only book business fares and it's says no F class is available. Is it one of those flights where F seats are reserved for elites but served as Business class?

Apologies if these questions have already been answered. I couldn't seem to find it in any of the threads. Many thanks in advance!
Hi Bostan,

The A340's used to have an F class, but they have since been refurbished to offer a much better product in J - with the loss of the seats that were in F.

In terms of whether you will have a remote-stand, it is totally random. That being said, it would be rare for an A340 to be parked away from the main Concourses, so I would probably assume a parking stand with a jetway into the Terminal.

While the Al Mourjan does not have specific sleeping rooms, it does have Sleeper Pods with comfortable sleeper chairs - located to the right hand side as you enter the Lounge. Note that there is also a Quiet Section with lounge-chairs, but the room is not that quiet when you factor in snoring, whispering, etc.

Safe travels,

M
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Hi Bostan,

The A340's used to have an F class, but they have since been refurbished to offer a much better product in J - with the loss of the seats that were in F.

In terms of whether you will have a remote-stand, it is totally random. That being said, it would be rare for an A340 to be parked away from the main Concourses, so I would probably assume a parking stand with a jetway into the Terminal.

While the Al Mourjan does not have specific sleeping rooms, it does have Sleeper Pods with comfortable sleeper chairs - located to the right hand side as you enter the Lounge. Note that there is also a Quiet Section with lounge-chairs, but the room is not that quiet when you factor in snoring, whispering, etc.

Safe travels,

M
msm2000uk, thanks so much, that definitely clears things up. Since sleeping rooms are only in Al Safwa, I think I'll book a flight with a shorter connection, or get a hotel somewhere downtown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.