Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting in J through Doha on Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I fly CMB-DOH-BOS fairly regularly. The 346s do not have an F section. I've never arrived at DOH at a bus gate. Doesn't mean that you won't; but I believe it unlikely.
Oh cool! This will be my first time flying this route. I usually take BA as I'm Gold with them have have been upgraded to F about 80% of the time all the way to Boston. QR's biz rate however, is cheaper than BA's economy and since I'll be in CMB for work, I thought I'd give it a try.

Anything I should look out for/do to maximize comfort for these sectors? Also, will there by PJ's on both legs?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bostan
Anything I should look out for/do to maximize comfort for these sectors? Also, will there by PJ's on both legs?
I think so. And they are reasonable comfortable. I mean, I liked wearing the top.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by bostan
Oh cool! This will be my first time flying this route. I usually take BA as I'm Gold with them have have been upgraded to F about 80% of the time all the way to Boston. QR's biz rate however, is cheaper than BA's economy and since I'll be in CMB for work, I thought I'd give it a try.

Have a look for your Flight Number in the WIKI of the thread here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-pyjamas.html
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:02 am
Suspended

And I hope you have a more pleasant DOH-BOS flight than I had last Saturday: screaming kids in J and a surly crew.
Not surprised QR is not sending me a survey...
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
I love how this thread has instantly transformed into a BOS local thread haha!

A little off-topic, but there's an earlier flight to MLE from DOH than I am scheduled on (2AM departure vs 8AM that I am on) --- has anyone been able to get on an earlier flight when you land in DOH by talking to the agents in the Al Mourjan lounge? I called QR and they said there is no same-day-change possible, but then I read other reports on FT saying some people have been successful.

As a follow-up to my original post, I've been in contact with the Airport Hotel and @ $240/night (or $217 for 8 hours), I think I've convinced my wife to roll the dice and hope a sleeper pod opens up in the lounge. 7 nights in the Maldives, she can't be toooooooo upset, right?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ender4576
7 nights in the Maldives, she can't be toooooooo upset, right?
I hope for you the weather is good in the Maldives. I flew with QR to Bali last week and the humidity was horrible.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Gold, SQ PPS Solitaire
^
Originally Posted by Ender4576
I love how this thread has instantly transformed into a BOS local thread haha!

A little off-topic, but there's an earlier flight to MLE from DOH than I am scheduled on (2AM departure vs 8AM that I am on) --- has anyone been able to get on an earlier flight when you land in DOH by talking to the agents in the Al Mourjan lounge? I called QR and they said there is no same-day-change possible, but then I read other reports on FT saying some people have been successful.

As a follow-up to my original post, I've been in contact with the Airport Hotel and @ $240/night (or $217 for 8 hours), I think I've convinced my wife to roll the dice and hope a sleeper pod opens up in the lounge. 7 nights in the Maldives, she can't be toooooooo upset, right?
Haha agreed! We should have a BOS meet up sometime!

I'm actually in the Maldives now. The weather is not too bad - thunderstorms in the morning (till about 9 or 10am) but bright and gorgeous sunshine in the afternoon. Lots of rainbows in the evening too! Don't despair of you see rain; it's mostly passing showers and it'll definitely clear up!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by remdk
carat22 45 mins is the MCT (Minimum Connection Time) for DOH so there should be no problem but it may be a bit of a rush if QR10 is late arriving.
QR10 arrives from a 'Secure' airport (LHR) so unless selected for a random security check you will exit the aircraft directly into the departure concourse. Most versions of the IFE display departure gates for connecting flights prior to landing so it is just a case of getting to the departure gate. should you be late arriving then there will be staff on hand to get you through to the new departure gate.
Even with security checks it is possible to make the connection.
Baggage handling in DOH is excellent and your luggage will most likely be onboard the aircraft before you are!
Thanks remdk, much appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:15 am
Original Poster

I can confirm that transfer was indeed a doodle in both directions. Thanks all.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I just want to verify, as oneworld Emerald traveling in paid Business class:

Outbound:
  • Arriving DOH on QR 740 from LAX in J (Ar. 1800, seat 2F for uncomplicated aisle access, 777-200LR)
    Arrive airside departure area directly
  • Overnight Airport Transit Hotel (bookings confirmed)
  • Depart to CMB on QR 656 (Lv. 0800, seat 4K for window access, A340-600 - but given no seat map is currently displayed, I'm wondering about a possible equipment change)
Return:
  • Arriving DOH on QR 665 from CMB (Ar 1330, seat 2A for window access, A340-600)
    ??? Arrival, process through security for airside access?
  • Overnight Airport Transit Hotel
  • Depart to LAX on QR 739 (Lv. 0805, seat 3E for uncomplicated aisle access, 777-200LR)
I'm planning to probably use a 20" carryon for the RON stop (I see QR allows 20" maximum length carry-on, but have no idea how strict they are or might be with 22" - I'd prefer using my 21.5", a bit less on the other two dimensions than QR maximum - your guidance appreciated).

I'm planning to through check one bag LAX-CMB and return, understanding it must be through-checked if the connection is under 24 hrs.

I'm planning to use Al Mourjan lounge for any dining needs.

I was originally thinking of using DoubleTree near DOH on the return, but the 0805 departure makes me hesitate.

Any further suggestions much appreciated. Shukran.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 22, 2016 at 4:37 pm
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:35 pm

Hi,

Interesting to hear about the "safe" airports. I am travelling through DOH soon from CDG - is this classed as a "safe" airport?

Thanks,
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:56 pm

AndyGFLees at times there is overcrowding at security in DOH so QR have an unpublished list of airports they regard as the security checks are safe enough to allow transfer passengers in DOH go directly to the departure areas without further security checks.

For obvious security reasons the list is unpublished and changes very frequently. An almost constant member of the list is LHR with BHX, EDI and MAN appearing frequently. Until the attacks last year and this CDG was a frequent member of the list. But not any more.

For obvious security reasons we do not know the capabilities of equipment at the different airports so some choices may appear surprising.

There are random checks on excepted flights.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I just want to verify, as oneworld Emerald traveling in paid Business class:

Outbound:
  • Arriving DOH on QR 740 from LAX in J (Ar. 1800, seat 2F for uncomplicated aisle access, 777-200LR)
    Arrive airside departure area directly
  • Overnight Airport Transit Hotel (bookings confirmed)
  • Depart to CMB on QR 656 (Lv. 0800, seat 4K for window access, A340-600 - but given no seat map is currently displayed, I'm wondering about a possible equipment change)
Return:
  • Arriving DOH on QR 665 from CMB (Ar 1330, seat 2A for window access, A340-600)
    ??? Arrival, process through security for airside access?
  • Overnight Airport Transit Hotel
  • Depart to LAX on QR 739 (Lv. 0805, seat 3E for uncomplicated aisle access, 777-200LR)
I'm planning to probably use a 20" carryon for the RON stop (I see QR allows 20" maximum length carry-on, but have no idea how strict they are or might be with 22" - I'd prefer using my 21.5", a bit less on the other two dimensions than QR maximum - your guidance appreciated).

I'm planning to through check one bag LAX-CMB and return, understanding it must be through-checked if the connection is under 24 hrs.

I'm planning to use Al Mourjan lounge for any dining needs.

I was originally thinking of using DoubleTree near DOH on the return, but the 0805 departure makes me hesitate.

Any further suggestions much appreciated. Shukran.
JDiver, I too am on a QR656 this Sunday and it is now meant to be a 777 instead of the a340, so that is what your's could be too, this change happened about a month ago I think
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by JDiver

Overnight Airport Transit Hotel

If I'm not staying at the airside Airport Hotel the DoubleTree is now my hotel of choice in Doha (I'm Lifetime HHonors so prefer to use Hilton properties - it's much closer to the airport than than the Doha Hilton).

The only downside of the airside Airport Hotel is the cost - it's expensive for what it is although, as you have identified, it does enable you to use Al Mourjan lounge dining facilities. However given that your body and brain will still be on CMB time I see no issue at all with using the DoubleTree vis-a-vis an 0805hrs DOH departure time. At that time of day it's probably only a 15 minute, QAR30, taxi ride to the airport. Leave the hotel at 0600hrs and grab some breakfast in Al Mourjan.

Incidentally, wise choice of seats for your QR 777 flights.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
If I'm not staying at the airside Airport Hotel the DoubleTree is now my hotel of choice in Doha (I'm Lifetime HHonors so prefer to use Hilton properties - it's much closer to the airport than than the Doha Hilton).

The only downside of the airside Airport Hotel is the cost - it's expensive for what it is although, as you have identified, it does enable you to use Al Mourjan lounge dining facilities. However given that your body and brain will still be on CMB time I see no issue at all with using the DoubleTree vis-a-vis an 0805hrs DOH departure time. At that time of day it's probably only a 15 minute, QAR30, taxi ride to the airport. Leave the hotel at 0600hrs and grab some breakfast in Al Mourjan.

Incidentally, wise choice of seats for your QR 777 flights.
Thank you for your valued feedback.

I've cancelled the DoubleTree for my outbound (LAX-DOH <RON> DOH-CMB as I'll still be catching up from Pacific time, but will cancel the Airport transit hotel on the return based on your advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.