Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

American Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald getting upgraded on Qatar Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Executive Platinum / oneworld Emerald getting upgraded on Qatar Airways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:21 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Hi NoviceFrqntFlyr and welcome to the QR Forum.

While your question has been answered by those on the AA and now QR Forum, by all means let us know if you have any queries - we're here to help.

Have a great flight to DFW, and sorry to compound the fact that AA SWU's aren't of any use on QR.

Safe travels,

M
Old Jul 8, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunnikrish2
I recently flew QR J (return to DFW) and was surprised to see only 50% full. Something I rarely see on AA..
On non USA airlines that is not uncommon. First/business class is not free upgrade class.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Well I would hope that a genuine QR Privilege Club Platinum would get upgrade preference over a OWE posting their miles to another ffp , if theres the slightest chance of anyone being upgraded ..............
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:31 pm

sunnikrish2 I agree entirely with Mwenenzi and i will add:
QR jealousy protect its premium classes. Except for a few upgrades for operational reasons free upgrades are as rare as 'hens teeth'.
One of the unwritten perks with the PC program is that wherever possible the seat beside a status PC/OW member is left empty. Unwritten because it depends upon demand for that flight and is by no means certain.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
sunnikrish2 I agree entirely with Mwenenzi and i will add:
QR jealousy protect its premium classes. Except for a few upgrades for operational reasons free upgrades are as rare as 'hens teeth'.
One of the unwritten perks with the PC program is that wherever possible the seat beside a status PC/OW member is left empty. Unwritten because it depends upon demand for that flight and is by no means certain.
This perk of blocking seats is very much unwritten and to me made up . Im QR Plat and flew to CMB in Y . The flight was by no means full but the seat next to me wasnt blocked . I moved to give myself and my previous seatmate the space . As for J flights on paired seats I usually have a seatmate even when there are free seats elsewhere .
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:57 pm

Extremely unlikely. Also sometimes when they do OP-UP you'll only receive the better seat, but only have economy food and beverage service.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:25 am

crombiestone the perk is real enough. Only once in the past two years has anyone occupied the seat next to mine. And that was on a very full flight.

There must be a reason, such as not supplying PC number at booking, why youhave not had it happen to you. I, and many others, enjoy the benefit frequently.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:39 am

pstation what you are describing is not an op-up but a cabin with J seats being designated as a Y cabin.
This happens a lot with QR. Regional F is just the J cabin re-designated as F.

You could, and probably do, have the situation where an aircraft arrives at DOH with the entire J cabin designated as F and it then departs DOH with the rear J cabin designated as Y.

The lucky passengers have J seats but everything else is Y
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
crombiestone the perk is real enough. Only once in the past two years has anyone occupied the seat next to mine. And that was on a very full flight.

There must be a reason, such as not supplying PC number at booking, why youhave not had it happen to you. I, and many others, enjoy the benefit frequently.
No I always book online . I get my miles . Im registered for globetrotter and this trip was for one of the themes . I was also given the at seat welcome and meal choice and she said oh you changed your seat . A bit condescending to say that I dont know how to make a booking that includes my PC number dont you think ?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by NoviceFrqntFlyr
I've booked (and paid cash) for an economy fare from DFW to Doha on a Wednesday night on Qatar Airways, and I would much prefer to save my system-wide upgrades if at all possible.
Even if QR took AA SWU's... my question is, if you don't want to burn them on one of the longest flights in the world, what exactly are you saving them for?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Axey
Even if QR took AA SWU's... my question is, if you don't want to burn them on one of the longest flights in the world, what exactly are you saving them for?

It is quite funny how AA EXPs think they are entitled to upgrades the world over, just because AA offer it was a perk domestically in the US.

I once saw an AA EXP at LHR T5 travelling BA vehemently demanding an upgrade to First - he was travelling on a Y ticket LHR-BKK. The gate agent was excellent, and put him in his place as only a British temperament could ^
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rossmacd

It is quite funny how AA EXPs think they are entitled to upgrades the world over, just because AA offer it was a perk domestically in the US.

I once saw an AA EXP at LHR T5 travelling BA vehemently demanding an upgrade to First - he was travelling on a Y ticket LHR-BKK. The gate agent was excellent, and put him in his place as only a British temperament could ^
Seeing as BA don't offer F on the LHR-BKK flight, and haven't done for a few years, I wonder if the chap wanted to fly the plane!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
In case of overbooking, and based on experience, upgrade would happen in the following order:
QR PLAT>OWE>QR GOLD>OWS>QR Burgundy>OW Ruby>Other pax
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
In case of overbooking, and based on experience, upgrade would happen in the following order:
QR PLAT>OWE>QR GOLD>OWS>QR Burgundy>OW Ruby>Other pax
See the thread here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ade-order.html
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:46 am

papyPiHi your list is missing PC Silvers.
I would suggest that you look at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ade-order.html thread and get together with msm2000uk to produce as accurate list as is possible, given that this is QR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.