Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Mini-rant: QRs lunatic baggage check policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus

So: Flying BKK-DOH-OSL, with a 19ish hour connection in DOH. BKK-DOH arrives 11AM on day 1, DOH-OSL departs 7AM day 2. Obviously I'd appreciate to get my luggage in DOH?
Nope, not possible. Checked all the way to OSL, and weighed my hand luggage so I had zero chance to sneak in enough clothes to survive a day in DOH with +40C heat.

Is this really QR policy? I know with many other airlines it's not even possible to through-check luggage on overnight connections.

Sorry for the rant, BKK-DOH was a fantastic flight though. Spent most of it in the bar.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yep, sorry it caught you out though. If you check your fare rules it will likely say that baggage will be through-checked for connections of 24 hours or less (and that anything you need in Doha should be taken as hand luggage). At least you'll know for next time
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Yep, sorry it caught you out though. If you check your fare rules it will likely say that baggage will be through-checked for connections of 24 hours or less (and that anything you need in Doha should be taken as hand luggage). At least you'll know for next time
Yeah. Just silly that I can't enter the airport with my boarding pass, but my luggage will stay there. Will know better next time... @:-)
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:29 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
This is a pretty standard policy in the airline world. BA/AA/QF/EK/AF/LH all operate similar policies...just to name a few.

Frustrating I agree, but it's designed to prevent the people short-checking their baggage.

M
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
This is a pretty standard policy in the airline world. BA/AA/QF/EK/AF/LH all operate similar policies...just to name a few.

Frustrating I agree, but it's designed to prevent the people short-checking their baggage.

M
Last time BA/AA were unable to through-check bags on an overnight connection.
I know they don't like ex-EUers skipping the last leg, but on overnight connections BA has said a few times that they can't check the bag all the way through.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

QR actually has it stated in its fare rules ( on ones that I have checked )

Originally Posted by QR
IF THE STOPOVER IN DOHA BETWEEN CONNECTING
FLIGHTS IS LESS THAN 24 HOURS PLEASE NOTE THAT
THE BAGS WILL ALWAYS BE CHECKED THROUGH TO THE
FINAL DESTINATION.THE PASSENGERS SHOULD CARRY
EVERYTHING THEY NEED IN DOHA IN A HAND BAG.
-----------------------------------------------
IN CASE THE PASSENGER NEEDS THE BAGS IN DOHA
TWO SEPARATE TICKETS NEED TO BE BOUGHT.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:10 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I managed to get my bags in DOH via the nice staff at the transfer desk before getting to my hotel. Could pick it up at baggage claim about twenty minutes after they made some calls.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
QR actually has it stated in its fare rules ( on ones that I have checked )
Yeah, will know better next time. Good luck economy passengers with their one piece max 7kg rule...
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:20 am

Programs: Various
I've never seen this rule before on other carriers but I rarely check bags anyway.

Anyway,
if I can't access my bags in DOH this would surely mean I can bring back wine from CPT and not have to worry that importation of alcohol into Qatar is illegal. Have I understood this correctly?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by dera
So: Flying BKK-DOH-OSL, with a 19ish hour connection in DOH. BKK-DOH arrives 11AM on day 1, DOH-OSL departs 7AM day 2. Obviously I'd appreciate to get my luggage in DOH?
Nope, not possible. Checked all the way to OSL, and weighed my hand luggage so I had zero chance to sneak in enough clothes to survive a day in DOH with +40C heat.

Is this really QR policy? I know with many other airlines it's not even possible to through-check luggage on overnight connections.

Sorry for the rant, BKK-DOH was a fantastic flight though. Spent most of it in the bar.
Hm, 8 kg allowance (in Y, double in C) in hand luggage is not enough for you for 3/4 of a day in Doha? I just spent 4 days in Rome at 35 degrees just with carry on luggage and did not feel uncomfortable. How much baggage would you check in for a 14 day holiday? Extrapolating your posting I would assume close to 150 kg?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
if I can't access my bags in DOH this would surely mean I can bring back wine from CPT and not have to worry that importation of alcohol into Qatar is illegal. Have I understood this correctly?
Yes, correct
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toz100
Hm, 8 kg allowance (in Y, double in C) in hand luggage is not enough for you for 3/4 of a day in Doha? I just spent 4 days in Rome at 35 degrees just with carry on luggage and did not feel uncomfortable. How much baggage would you check in for a 14 day holiday? Extrapolating your posting I would assume close to 150 kg?
Nope, I have to carry 2 full size laptops for work, thats 5kgs of laptops alone.
To be fair, I could've made it work, had I known about it. And yes, it is in the fare rules (even though I think a rule like that is unique to QR and absolutely ridiculous).
But this is FT, and that means I can still rant about it.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:39 am

Nope, I have to carry 2 full size laptops for work, thats 5kgs of laptops alone.
To be fair, I could've made it work, had I known about it. And yes, it is in the fare rules (even though I think a rule like that is unique to QR and absolutely ridiculous).
You can have cabin luggage plus laptop bag (or handbag).

In my experience they sometimes weigh my cabin suitcase (mainly at LHR - and I haven't had a problem if I'm a kilo or so over) but never the laptop bag.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:43 am

Also, yes! Fair point well made
Old Jun 30, 2016, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
NO, it's not standard and in particular AF does NOT do it this day. When I have an overnight connection at CDG (IIRC the rule is something like between 8 and 24 hours), I ahve a choice at check in about whether my bag is checked through to the destination or only to CDG.

On DL, you are required to retrieve checked bags when you have an overnight connection, although there's a shorter period where it's your choce and a still shoorther threshold when the bag must be checked through to the destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.