Wiki Posts
Search

DOH-ZNZ route: any experience or tip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
DOH-ZNZ route: any experience or tip?

Me & Husband will fly AMS-DOH-ZNZ first week of July, back 8 days later (and it's our 2nd time with QR, the 1st was AMS-DOH-BKK last Nov).
I was wondering if there is anyone with a recent experience of the DOH-ZNZ-DOH route?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: QR Plat
Have you tried the search function?

-A
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:40 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ph-ndr

-A
I'm in a good mood for once - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-zanzibar.html

The Search facility works well off-site, especially through this site. I know it looks dodgy because of the colours, but it does work. Try it - www.google.com

M
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
-A
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm in a good mood for once - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-zanzibar.html

The Search facility works well off-site, especially through this site. I know it looks dodgy because of the colours, but it does work. Try it - www.google.com
M
My mistake. I was thinking more about ground services (lounge,check-in,etc) experience, and didn't search/look well. Sorry.
msm2000uk would you be so kind to delete or maybe to merge this thread, please?

Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / MM
Just returned from JRO and ZNZ. Old 320 on the way down (no AVOD) and new on the way back (AVOD and free wi-fi).

Extremely limited pitch in economy, very tough for a 7.5 hour flight to JRO. The flight goes to ZNZ first (5.5 hours), an hour ground stop where continuing passengers cannot deplane, then an hour to JRO. Another ground stop then 5.5 hours back to DOH. We got the full 7.5 each way by going to JRO first then returning from ZNZ.

In-flight service was fine, nothing special. The ground stop is a fiasco with passengers trying to stretch and cleaning crew trying to tidy up.

It leaves DOH from ~C29, downstairs gates then bus to the plane. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

ZNZ was incredible, our new favorite beach destination!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by tomanova
Just returned from JRO and ZNZ. Old 320 on the way down (no AVOD) and new on the way back (AVOD and free wi-fi).

Extremely limited pitch in economy, very tough for a 7.5 hour flight to JRO. The flight goes to ZNZ first (5.5 hours), an hour ground stop where continuing passengers cannot deplane, then an hour to JRO. Another ground stop then 5.5 hours back to DOH. We got the full 7.5 each way by going to JRO first then returning from ZNZ.

In-flight service was fine, nothing special. The ground stop is a fiasco with passengers trying to stretch and cleaning crew trying to tidy up.

It leaves DOH from ~C29, downstairs gates then bus to the plane. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

On alternating days it operates DOH-ZNZ-JRO-DOH and on others DOH-JRO-ZNZ-DOH
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tomanova
(...)

Thank you How are ZNZ QR check-in and lounge? How much early better be at the airport?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
On alternating days it operates DOH-ZNZ-JRO-DOH and on others DOH-JRO-ZNZ-DOH
I'm heading to JRO in a month.
How will i know if i get DOH-JRO or DOH-ZNZ-JRO?
Arriving QR1355
Returning QR1357

As far as i know, it will be DOH-JRO-DOH? Lists 5:50h both ways.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:46 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by kimnkk
I'm heading to JRO in a month.
How will i know if i get DOH-JRO or DOH-ZNZ-JRO?
Arriving QR1355
Returning QR1357

As far as i know, it will be DOH-JRO-DOH? Lists 5:50h both ways.
What are your specific dates of departure?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
I flew JRO ZNZ DOH in J this month. No AVOD at seat or amenity kits in J. We had iPads provided with a (poor) selection of movies. The IPads were not charged and the in seat power did not work at a single seat. My provided iPad had 20% power and the second one had just over 50% for the flight from ZNZ to DOH. It seemed you needed a special seat adapter and the flight attendants knew nothing about it (an iPad plug didn't sit flush against the plug to stay connected) and there was no USB charging ability. The FAs were apparently trying to charge one iPad at a time. Drink service was fine on JRO ZNZ and during ground time but no snacks until ZNZ to DOh.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
I'm reading this thread with great interest as I'm doing MUC-DOH-JRO in December in J. Aircraft aside, how did you find the quality of food/drink/service as compared to QR long-haul which I've always quite enjoyed. My only alternative to this routing is LH, LX, OR EK in F to NBO and then change to another carrier to JRO which carries risk I'm not inclined to take!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by wfiring12
I'm reading this thread with great interest as I'm doing MUC-DOH-JRO in December in J. Aircraft aside, how did you find the quality of food/drink/service as compared to QR long-haul which I've always quite enjoyed. My only alternative to this routing is LH, LX, OR EK in F to NBO and then change to another carrier to JRO which carries risk I'm not inclined to take!
If switching carriers in NBO is a big concern, have you considered flying KLM via AMS? They fly directly to JRO on a widebody and then return via DAR. KLM is never among my top choices for flights but in this case I think it might be a good option vs. 7.5 hours on a narrowbody.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Originally Posted by kq747
If switching carriers in NBO is a big concern, have you considered flying KLM via AMS? They fly directly to JRO on a widebody and then return via DAR. KLM is never among my top choices for flights but in this case I think it might be a good option vs. 7.5 hours on a narrowbody.
Yes, good suggestion. I considered the KL flight (and still may) though for some reason it's super expensive (expertflyer showing only 2 seats not taken this far in advance). As of now I'm ticketed on the QR routing but an almost fully-refundable fare. Also, I'm hoping the DOH-JRO is only 5 hrs and not 7.5! :-)

My return is out of NBO, and EK are offering a super inexpensive OW fare in F. As they often do....

Last edited by wfiring12; Jun 23, 2016 at 1:28 pm Reason: addition
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
What are your specific dates of departure?
8/24 QR1355
9/01 QR1357

I thought i read somewhere that a few days a week is direct DOH-JRO service? Might be mistaken though!
Old Jun 24, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by wfiring12
Yes, good suggestion. I considered the KL flight (and still may) though for some reason it's super expensive (expertflyer showing only 2 seats not taken this far in advance). As of now I'm ticketed on the QR routing but an almost fully-refundable fare. Also, I'm hoping the DOH-JRO is only 5 hrs and not 7.5! :-)

My return is out of NBO, and EK are offering a super inexpensive OW fare in F. As they often do....
We flew AMS-JRO in J. It was an easy flight and probably better than the QR flight from JRO to DOH Because we didn't have the ground stop and we had TV at each seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.