Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar-world's 5* airline - seriously ???

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 1:31 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
I know that, and you know that. My post was a tongue-in-cheek comment to the OP who wishes to make a mountain out of a molehill.
To be fair to the OP, a truly customer-service oriented 5 star company would automatically route calls to an open service centre.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Use Skype, or another VOIP service, for cheaper calls to Qatar from the US.
Skype is actually a pretty expensive way to call Qatar for some reason (certainly from the UK, I'm guessing it will be similar from the US). It's 30p/min. I can use my UK mobile to Qatar for 15p/min.
Old May 19, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by nacho
It's 5 star if you fly QR C or F.
Let's say 4* since they "simplified" wine list and menu card ( gone is the Pol Roger, Taitinger, Meursault, Krug etc)

Flying C in a few days....
Old May 20, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: QRPC Silver, BA Silver
Whilst I agree the ground (i.e. pre-airport) experience with customer service is pretty hit and miss - the majority of your experience is actually at airport, and on board - for that, even with the changing /downgrading of drinks - it is 5* - compare them to the other big airlines out there - QR are top of the bunch, and as much as their CS annoys me at times - they are still the best!
Old May 20, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Just arrived in OSL J class- QR905 & QR175. Excellent service once again, although the Doha lounge Q for a shower at 45 mins was too long for me today or was that yesterday? due to a fairly short connection time at approx 2hrs chocks to chocks. Shall be interesting to compare with the AY product in 6 weeks which is 30% more expensive at its cheapest!

OF
Old May 20, 2016, 7:23 am

OldFruity Just arrived in OSL J class-
I hope you registered for your adventurous getaway badge before you took the flight
Old May 20, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by theox
Whilst I agree the ground (i.e. pre-airport) experience with customer service is pretty hit and miss - the majority of your experience is actually at airport, and on board - for that, even with the changing /downgrading of drinks - it is 5* - compare them to the other big airlines out there - QR are top of the bunch, and as much as their CS annoys me at times - they are still the best!
Do you fly QR Y? I'm interested in what other FTers think about QR Y being 5*

I'll be flying with them in Y in October for the first time, I normally fly TK which I really think their Y is 5*.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:08 am

I'd say 90% of my travel is Y - all for personal travel so no company budget unfortunately! If i'm in J it's an op up (v.rare from EDI) or using miles/points!

I'd definitely say its 5* in the air. You clearly won't get the lavish treatment of a premium passenger but when you compare the food, service, attention of crews, IFE (on most aircraft), baggage allowance (30kg in Y) to other airlines (especially outside the Gulf region) it really does deserve the 5*.

However, even as Plat, so very used to QR Cust Service I would say that the experience via email/phone can be very frustrating and really lets them down. But lets face it - the trip is what it's all about - and for me thats why it deserves 5* (or shall we say 5/5 - sounds better for Y rather than implying its going to be like a 5* Waldorf Astoria!)^^^
Old May 20, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's interesting. I'll try QR first time in October - so far no airline I flew with can beat TK Y. You get slipper, lip balm etc. in a proper amenity bag in Y.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Skytrax is a small, family run, private company. They make most of their "offical" income through consultancy work. They have no more authority to issue star rankings than the lad down the road.

Qatar have a long term contract with Skytrax to provide very frequent auditing, as do many other "Five Star" airlines. Even a casual glance at the list of "Five Star" airlines, and you'll be scratching your head as to how some of them got there. I mean, Hainan Airlines? Hello? One of the top 7 airlines in the world? I don't think so.

The ranking system is opaque, and clearly not free and fair. Those that think everything that Skytrax says/publishes is 100% reliable is seriously deluding themselves.

That said, QR is generally a good airline, and in some areas do deserve a top ranking. Whether that applies to telephone services in the US or not, I couldn't say.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho

I'll be flying with them in Y in October for the first time, I normally fly TK which I really think their Y is 5*.
In my honest opinion, QR used to be 5* in Y. Sadly I no longer think they are.

Still a good, solid Y product - but all of the things that used to make it extra special have slowly been eroded away by cost-cutting measures. Even on my most recent QR4 I noticed there was no pre-meal drinks service - which I'm guessing is the latest Y downgrade...

Over the past couple of years the following have all been removed from Y (which to my mind was what distinguished QR from everyone else):

- Choice of two white and two red wines (now just one of each)
- Snacks with pre-meal drinks run
- "Cinema" snack between meals
- Hot towels
- Sweets before take-off
- Champagne on flights over 6 hours
- Personal space (787 and new 777 layouts are cramped)
- Brandy with tea/coffee service
- High quality Y meals (now smaller and seem cheaper)
- Godiva chocs
- Less amenity kits (not seen one in Y recently)
- Pre-meal drinks service (??? - although based on just one flight)
- Decent lounge access in DOH (FF lounges are just ok)

As above, it's still a fair Y product but I no longer think it has the "wow" factor of days gone by.

However, the service and crew generally I find are excellent - and they place a lot of emphasis on looking after their frequent fliers (greetings, meal choice, etc). Pricing is competitive, so still good value for money, and IFE pretty good too - so it's not all doom and gloom!
Old May 20, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
theox

Re badge No wasnt aware of such a giveaway .
Second trip this year and one more booked in sept so shall investigate!

OF
Old May 21, 2016, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by OldFruity
theox

Re badge No wasnt aware of such a giveaway .
Second trip this year and one more booked in sept so shall investigate!

OF
You'll need to join and credit to QR Privilege Club to take part. Have a look at the GlobeTrotter 2016 thread for details of the offer
Old May 21, 2016, 6:53 am

You'll need to join and credit to QR Privilege Club to take part. Have a look at the GlobeTrotter 2016 thread for details of the offer
Definitely worth doing OldFruity!! 10,000 bonus miles plus 5,000 for the badge plus if you get any other badges then even more again!

Purple1addict - definitely agree the product is steadily getting worse. Massive erosion of benefits - the reason i still JUST rate them 5* is in comparison to other airlines products they are still up there! Although EK I'm undecided - better or worse than QR in Y...Hmmm...
Old May 21, 2016, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by purple1addict
In my honest opinion, QR used to be 5* in Y. Sadly I no longer think they are.

Still a good, solid Y product - but all of the things that used to make it extra special have slowly been eroded away by cost-cutting measures. Even on my most recent QR4 I noticed there was no pre-meal drinks service - which I'm guessing is the latest Y downgrade...

Over the past couple of years the following have all been removed from Y (which to my mind was what distinguished QR from everyone else):

- Choice of two white and two red wines (now just one of each)
- Snacks with pre-meal drinks run
- "Cinema" snack between meals
- Hot towels
- Sweets before take-off
- Champagne on flights over 6 hours
- Personal space (787 and new 777 layouts are cramped)
- Brandy with tea/coffee service
- High quality Y meals (now smaller and seem cheaper)
- Godiva chocs
- Less amenity kits (not seen one in Y recently)
- Pre-meal drinks service (??? - although based on just one flight)
- Decent lounge access in DOH (FF lounges are just ok)

As above, it's still a fair Y product but I no longer think it has the "wow" factor of days gone by.

However, the service and crew generally I find are excellent - and they place a lot of emphasis on looking after their frequent fliers (greetings, meal choice, etc). Pricing is competitive, so still good value for money, and IFE pretty good too - so it's not all doom and gloom!
Wow I think TK is much better, they have all the items you said except cinema snacks, pre-meal drink. The amenity kit in TK is a keeper - the bag is a solid one (like those you buy) with slippers, lip balm on top of the usual items. Plus their restaurant like IST lounge, I haven't been to a lounge that can beat the food offerings there. TK's 777 still has 3-3-3 config so it's less cramp than the 3-4-3 config and the 3-3-3 in 787s.

TK doesn't care about their loyal customers like us - upgrade is minimal (not sure it's because we normally travel in a group - we are all their Elite members (*G)).

My sis flew with QR many years ago HKG-CAI via DOH, she hated it - and the amenity kit she got was tiny compared to TK. She flew with TK once and she said TK beats QR in every way in Y.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by theox
Purple1addict - definitely agree the product is steadily getting worse. Massive erosion of benefits - the reason i still JUST rate them 5* is in comparison to other airlines products they are still up there! Although EK I'm undecided - better or worse than QR in Y...Hmmm...
Yeah, I agree. I'm whinging, but I still fly QR in preference to other airlines, so I guess it can't have gotten too bad (yet?!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.