Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Connection in BKK, QR F to RJ J, Which Lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum

Hello,

I searched the BKK thread and the lounges thread but didn't find a definitive answer to my question, so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I'm flying DOH-BKK in F (QR 836), arriving at 12:40 PM, connecting onto BKK-HKG on RJ in J (RJ 182).

Since I'm arriving off a "long haul" F flight, will I be granted access to the TG F lounge upon arrival during my connection, which doesn't offer F?

If I am granted access, is the general consensus this is better than the new CX lounge?

Cheers,
Cameron
Old May 2, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Flying on RJ ex BKK,you will never get TG F lounge access,as Emerald,or arriving/connecting from F,simply because RJ's contract does not include F lounges,so they can't issue invitations to the F lounge.

Also,the OW rules only oblige the airlines to provide access to the OW lounges and not to third party lounges,like TG. So they would have to let you in to CX,but not TG.(if you were connecting to RJ Y)

CX lounge is really good,and very close to where RJ normally departs,it is much much better than TG J,which you will be issued an invitation to (have never been to TG F,so can't compare with that".
Old May 3, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

So QR cannot issue invitations for the back end of a flight, similar to what CX would do in offering an F passenger an invitation to an F lounge in HKG before connecting to a regional J flight? I realize the difference that we're talking about third party lounges (in the case of QR and RJ) and in-house lounges (in the case of CX at HKG), but the overall premise is the same (Long Haul F to Short Haul J).

Nevertheless, I've heard great things about the CX lounge, and can't wait to try it out!
Old May 3, 2016, 8:35 am

Longhornmaniac8 QR has a similar offer for passengers coming off of Longhaul F and connecting to other QR flights. BUT as with CX it is only at their Home airport not outatations.

You should be able to use the Oneworld rules for lounge access https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access to gain entry to any OW First class lounge at BKK.

Please remember that QRs definition of a passenger appears to be very narrow. 'You are a passenger from when you enter the airside departure area until you disembark at the flight destination.'
Old May 3, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8
So QR cannot issue invitations for the back end of a flight, similar to what CX would do in offering an F passenger an invitation to an F lounge in HKG before connecting to a regional J flight? I realize the difference that we're talking about third party lounges (in the case of QR and RJ) and in-house lounges (in the case of CX at HKG), but the overall premise is the same (Long Haul F to Short Haul J).

Nevertheless, I've heard great things about the CX lounge, and can't wait to try it out!
Well,QR has a contract with TG F lounge (for their F pax departing BKK),so technically they have the ability to do that,but they would not.

Agree,CX lounge is extremely good and remind me of The Pier F a lot,it is also not too busy at 12-3pm prior to RJ flight.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:08 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
Well,QR has a contract with TG F lounge (for their F pax departing BKK),so technically they have the ability to do that,but they would not.

Agree,CX lounge is extremely good and remind me of The Pier F a lot,it is also not too busy at 12-3pm prior to RJ flight.
QR ended their Agreement for the 'proper' TG F Lounge in January of this year.

F passengers are now invited to a small area of one of the TG J Lounges.

The CX Lounge, as long as it is open, is the best option.
Old May 3, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Looks like I know where I'll be headed!
Old May 3, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
QR ended their Agreement for the 'proper' TG F Lounge in January of this year.

F passengers are now invited to a small area of one of the TG J Lounges.

The CX Lounge, as long as it is open, is the best option.
My bad,I did not know that.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:05 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
My bad,I did not know that.
It's all in anticipation of QR opening their own lounge at BKK.

I believe they have been given a space, and they are beginning their recruitment of staff (which is an odd order to do things).

The Lounge space is a total shell, but I'll do some digging on Thursday night when I'm there with a fellow FTer (who is pretty much Mr BKK).
Old May 3, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's all in anticipation of QR opening their own lounge at BKK.

I believe they have been given a space, and they are beginning their recruitment of staff (which is an odd order to do things).

The Lounge space is a total shell, but I'll do some digging on Thursday night when I'm there with a fellow FTer (who is pretty much Mr BKK).
Thanks,I knew about the upcoming QR lounge,but I just thought it would be more logical to open it first and then terminate the contract with TG F (and TG in general) and not vice versa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.