Search

Best QR award redemptions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Best QR award redemptions?

Hi,

I recently earned a (at least in my book) significant chunk of Qmiles. I am now digging into the Privilege Club to redeem them. Here are a few things I learned.

First Class redemptions
Based on the QR website, you cannot redeem for LHR-DOH in F, but CDG-DOH and BKK-DOH.

QR Award charts
I found an outdated award chart that defined the regions and miles required per region here: http://www.milevalue.com/qatar-airwa...orld-alliance/
I could not find anything for QR on the current site but the Qcalculator works.

Partner awards
Partner awards are mileage-based and don't seem to be worth it.
chart: http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...0partners.page

Award offers
I noticed some award offers on http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...ys&mid=6&sid=1 and apparently every now and then there are easy deals with cheaper awards.

What do PC members typically consider good awards?
I've noticed that DOH-CPT is only 45k miles in C one-way.
Value for money on DOH-LAX and DOH-SYD might be good as well.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
IMO you'll do a better use of your Qmiles if buying an eco ticket and upgrade your red eyes flights to biz, especially if you are Gold or Platinum as you'll get the 75% or 100% flown Qmiles bonus on top of your Eco ticket earning (25% of flown miles for OQTW booking classes or 50% for GLNSV), and also get the Qpoints to help you maintain your status or try to reach the next tier.
A good deal is upgrading both segments at a time (A-DOH-B) instead of upgrading separate segments (A-DOH and DOH-B) as it usually requires less Qmiles (ex : CDG-DOH requires 30,000 Qmiles and DOH-NRT 42,500 but if upgraded together, CDG-DOH-NRT requires only 60,000 Qmiles). This Qmiles reduction only works for 2 segments connecting in DOH (it doesn't work for DOH-B-DOH).

As award space is usually low, you should look for availability (making a dummy award ticket booking) before buying your eco ticket and then request you award upgrade by calling QR immediately, before award space is gone (even though there was a report that method was not always successful).

If you only want to upgrade 1 leg at a time, you can count on airport upgrades as they almost accept Qmiles upgrades at airport for any biz available seat.
tropikey likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Originally Posted by Matt4
A good deal is upgrading both segments at a time (A-DOH-B) instead of upgrading separate segments (A-DOH and DOH-B) as it usually requires less Qmiles (ex : CDG-DOH requires 30,000 Qmiles and DOH-NRT 42,500 but if upgraded together, CDG-DOH-NRT requires only 60,000 Qmiles). This Qmiles reduction only works for 2 segments connecting in DOH (it doesn't work for DOH-B-DOH).
Great advice, Matt4, as always. I was able to upgrade PNH-DOH-MUC Econ T to Bus U last November as a through connection for 40 QCredits ex PNH. As opposed to 60 Q credits (30+30) PNH-DOH, DOH-MUC.

Little O/Thread. I received 40 QCredits dropping from Plat to Gold on 05 April and I anticipate a further 60 QCredits going back up to Plat on 15 May, due to the 2X, 3X, 4X promo.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by AVIATORPJ
Little O/Thread. I received 40 QCredits dropping from Plat to Gold on 05 April and I anticipate a further 60 QCredits going back up to Plat on 15 May, due to the 2X, 3X, 4X promo.
I'm Plat, and in Feb 2016 I earned enough qmiles to retain my plat status for another period. I contacted QR PC as I didn't see the 60 QCredits being loaded to my account, and was told that it is only at the end of the evaluation period that the status will be reviewed - and if platinum is retained the 60 Qcredits will be credited.

I have decided to try out Emirates for future flights to see if they have an overall better service experience than QR (I think QR fails badly on their ground services - however I do love their J service in the sky), but I could have used the 60 QCredits for an upgrade on a flight already booked on QR metal in May.... but my evaluation period ends in Aug2016, so I will got get the QR Credits before then acc. PC membership service staff.

If I remember correct, then I earned gold status for about 1.5 year ago, got the 40 Qcredits... a few months later I reached platinum and received another 60 Qcredits...
So if I understand the rules correct, then reaching a new level (i.e. from silver to gold... or gold to platinum) gives you instantly the associated Qcredits, but if you retain the status you will have to wait until end of the evaluation period.

I understand it, that if I had only earned for gold membership by Aug2016,
I would be credited 40 QCredits. And if I then earned enough to reach platinum in say Oct 2016, I would get another 60 QCredits... so total 100 Qcredits.

This I don't get now, because I earned "too much to fast" and will get the 60 Qcredits only for retaining platinum status.

A bit strange.... or is it just me?

Namlakhorn
Old Apr 13, 2016, 12:22 am

Namlakhorn Qcredits are awarded when your account is reviewed either at the date stated on your PC dashboard or when you achieve a new, higher, status. It is the review process that awards Qcredits.

If you became Platinum in November 2015 then you are Platinum until the review date in November 2016. thus at the end of the year you would be awarded 60 Qcredits if you have achieved the required number of Qpoints.

If you joined PC in January, achieved Silver in February, Gold in March and Platinum in April then your review date would change to the dates you changed status and Qcredits awarded as you achieve each status. In this case due to the many status changes you would earn up to 100 Qcredits.

But now you are Platinum. Your Qpoints have a limited validity (1-2 years) and expire at different times. You are Platinum but you need to earn enough Qpoints to retain that status. You will not change status until your review date. You would then receive 6o Qcredits if you retain Platinum. If your status falls then you would receive Qcredits appropriate to your new level.

It would be much better to discuss this on the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...-qmiles-6.html thread.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 1:35 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
I've found this seriously useful, cheers everyone.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, LH Silver
Hi, I am Platinum and spent my 60QCredits for upgrade MEL-DOH-FRA a few months ago.
Now I am trying to upgrade segment DOH-AKL via QR web (50.000 Qmiles). The award seats are still available, flight departure is December 2016. I just got this email from QR helpdesk. It seems that I have to try time to time to do " Award Upgrade request". Do you have any idea why the request doesn't work for a first time ?
Sorry for my english. Regards miro | http://my.flightmemory.com/miro776

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your Award Upgrade request. We value your business.

We have checked the availability for your journey from Doha to Auckland dated XX-Dec-2016 under booking reference XXXXXX.
Unfortunately, redemption seats for upgrade to business class are currently unavailable and hence, we are unable to process your request.

In some cases, seats may become available later due to booking cancellations.
We suggest that you keep checking with us from time to time should the seats become available.

To enhance your Privilege Club experience and extend best upgrade opportunities, we have introduced the facility
to upgrade your flight when departing from certain Airports, using QMiles or QCredits.

The list of Airports and more information is available on this link: http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...departure.page.

Redemption seats are limited and capacity controlled and hence, there are limitations on the number of seats available
for redemption on any given flight. Certain days/periods may have no award seat availability;
this is a global industry practice and is a function of flight forecast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.