Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2016, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month in the Muslim calendar where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset.
Ramadan is a holy month to Muslims and also a joyous and spiritual time. I am concentrating upon that which most affects Non-Muslim QR passengers during Ramadan.

When is Ramadan?
Because the Muslim´calendar is a lunar calendar the date in the Gregorian, or solar, calendar changes every year. Each year it is about 11 days earlier than the previous year.
Ramadan 2017 was 27 May to 25 June.
Ramadan 2018 was16 May to 14 June.
Ramadan 2019 was 6 May to 4 June.
Ramadan 2020 was 24 April to 23 May.
Ramadan 2021 was 12 April to 11 May.
Ramadan 2022 was 2 April to 2 May.
Ramadan 2023 wss 22 March to 23 April.
Ramadan 2024 is 10 March to 9 April.
Ramadan 2025 is 1 March to 30 March.
Ramadan 2026 is 18 February to 19 March.
Ramadan 2027 is 8 February to 9 March.

When does Ramadan actually start?
The Muslim day starts at sunset and continues to sunset. Sightings for the new moon are taken at sunset and when sighted the month of Ramadan has started. Fasting begins later in the Muslim day at sunrise. Thus if Ramadan starts on June 6th then it is the sighting of the new moon at sunset on June 5th that marks the official start. Tha actual start date may be different due to the fact that we live on a globe and it takes 24 hours to rotate on its axis! The dates quoted are for Qatar.

Are there exceptions to the rules?
There are exceptions to fasting rules such as the aged, sick, pregnant women, travellers, etc.
Some branches of Islam demand payment of a fine or a penance, such as feeding the poor, for breaking the fast whilst other branches do not. In some branches of Islam travellers may voluntarily choose to continue fasting whilst other branches forbid fasting whilst travelling.

When does Fasting take place?
Most agree that the times of fasting are from Sunrise to Sunset. Others use Dawn and Dusk. The latter could cause serious health problems for those who live at latitude 48.5 or greater. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight for an explanation.

How does Ramadan affect QR?
QR adheres to the rules of Ramadan as required by the State of Qatar.
Food is always available inside the airport and on all flights. This is because of the traveller rules.
Non alcoholic drinks are always available both in the airport and on all flights.
Alcohol is NOT available at Hamad International Airport either inside or outside the airport buildings, even at the Airport hotel. However in 2023 alcohol was being served in at least the Al Safwa and Al Mourjan airport lounges. At the moment it is not known if this also applied to other lounges. Pleas look at this years postings to see other lounges also served alcohol.

Alcohol is not available on most flights to/from muslim countries. Certain muslim countries, such as Malaysia, are regarded as multicultural countries and the in-flight alcohol ban does not apply. On all other flights to/from DOH alcohol is available after departure. The cabin crew decide when departure is. For some it is when you board the aircraft, for others closing the doors, others pushback and yet others after take-off. Where alcohol is permitted on the flight then it will be served by the glass, the bottle remaining in the galley. Pre departure alcoholic drinks as well as in flight drinks will normally be served on flights to/from DOH where alcohol is permitted. There may be exceptions. In 2023 AMM, AUH and SHJ served alcohol, on flights, at least some of the time. The AMM lounge also served alcohol. (See post 382)
In every respect, other than alcohol, service is unchanged throughout QR. BUT where alcohol is available it is not normally on display, but served by the glass from the bar or galley and sometimes needs to be requested..
Duty free alcohol is available at QDF. But there may be restrictions such as delivery to the aircraft door.

How does Ramadan affect The State of Qatar?
If you leave the airport during Ramadan please remember
1) the sale and public consumption of Alcohol is banned by law during Ramadan. In several, but not all, hotels alcohol may be obtained by residents from room service.
2) It is extremely offensive, and in some Muslim countries, including Qatar, a criminal offence, to be seen eating, drinking, smoking or chewing gum in public during the period of fasting.
According to https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...madan/overview
"If you need to drink or eat, please do so in the privacy of your own room or in a place where you won’t be seen."
If you need to eat or drink please do it discretely and out of sight of others.

Want to know more?
If you want more information then http://marhaba.qa/ramadan-dos-and-donts-in-qatar/ is specific to Qatar. If you are also interested in health issues then A_guide_to_healthy_fasting is worth looking at, not only for health issues.

This Wiki and thread is about how Ramadan affects QR passengers.

Thanks are due to IAN-UK, Lobengula, RUN4FUN, sharp5flat9, SullyofDoha, VH-RMD and others for help in making this as accurate as possible.

Print Wikipost

Ramadan Master Thread - 10 March 2024 to 9 April 2024

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Justin Case
For those who are transiting through Doha between the 27th of May and the 24th of June, please be aware that it is then the Ramadan period!

From what i understand there is no alcohol being serviced in the lounges, and when the plane is on the ground. Next to that the bottle's are not being brought out, and drinks are being poured out of sight in the galley.
Of course i fully respect the Muslim culture, but I am still a little bit disappointed that on my 3h and 4h layover, I have less opportunity to really sample the Al Mourjan lounge
Thanks for bringing this to my attention here ^

I'd not thought about this. It rather puts a downer on things.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Originally Posted by Calchas
Thanks for bringing this to my attention here ^

I'd not thought about this. It rather puts a downer on things.
Guess we have to really come down to Earth from our continious dillerium! How do we cope... ! ! ;-)

Looked at some reviews of the Al Mourjan lounge. Guess we won't be missend out on that much special liquore? 3 nice reds, and 3 whites, together with gin, rum and wodka. And of course the bubly stuff! Or did i mis something and is there a full cocktail bar going on?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Guess we have to really come down to Earth from our continious dillerium! How do we cope... ! ! ;-)

Looked at some reviews of the Al Mourjan lounge. Guess we won't be missend out on that much special liquore? 3 nice reds, and 3 whites, together with gin, rum and wodka. And of course the bubly stuff! Or did i mis something and is there a full cocktail bar going on?
Well the other thing is I was planning to spend a long layover walking around Doha. But in the height of summer with no water I think I will get a hotel room instead.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.

There is a full cocktail bar upstairs in the dining room.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:44 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Dissapointed

Reading this am rather dissapointed that for my upcoming trip, my first time to use the Al-Safwa lounge I will not be able to enjoy the upgraded alcoholic list over there.

Old Mar 19, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Someone just mentioned that alcohol is not served on flights to TUN and other Muslim countries. Well, based on my experience, I took a DOH-BEY flight on 19th June 2016 and was served with 3 different kinds of alcohol throughout the flight. The crew had no problem with my request, even on the ground at DOH. Obviously Lebanon should be included in the restriction list. I was pretty sure with this experience because I finished my second glass of bubbles while passing the Saudi airspace...
Old Mar 19, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Bombardier welcome to the QR forum.

Lebanon is regarded as a multicultural country and is apparently excepted the alcohol ban. The same applies to Malaysia.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:19 pm

Connecting through DOH and leaving DOH at 2am on 26 May and flying EK on the return. Phew.....
Old Apr 12, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I will be flying with QR to the Maldives during Ramadan. I note the point that alcohol is not served on regional flights to Muslim countries (ALG and TUN are mentioned) but wondered if anyone knows whther this also includes flights to and from MLE?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I will be flying with QR to the Maldives during Ramadan. I note the point that alcohol is not served on regional flights to Muslim countries (ALG and TUN are mentioned) but wondered if anyone knows whther this also includes flights to and from MLE?
pomkiwi http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-maldives.page says 'The Maldives is an Islamic nation, but it is progressive and culturally diverse so visitors should not encounter any noticeable cultural nuances. Most of the tourist resorts are self-contained and separated from the inhabited islands, but it is important to be respectful of the cultural and religious beliefs of locals who work in the resorts.'

in his post last year http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26734388-post48.html tboons says 'This is going to be a big problem in male!'

So i would say that alcohol is not served on flights during Ramadan.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Let's be honest. Qatar Airways will use Ramadan as cover to limit beverages where they think they can in order to save some Riyals. Case in point would be Dxb-doh and Dwc-doh flights. Qatar goes dry in the air and in the Concourse D lounge while the Dubai owned and operated lounges serve beverages in DXB and DWC. It's four weeks people, live with it!
Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Let's be honest. Qatar Airways will use Ramadan as cover to limit beverages where they think they can in order to save some Riyals. Case in point would be Dxb-doh and Dwc-doh flights. Qatar goes dry in the air and in the Concourse D lounge while the Dubai owned and operated lounges serve beverages in DXB and DWC. It's four weeks people, live with it!
SullyofDoha it may also have to do with Qatari law! I do not know for certain but it needs to be considered.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
...Qatar goes dry in the air and in the Concourse D lounge while the Dubai owned and operated lounges serve beverages in DXB and DWC.
Different countries, different owners, different approaches to tourism. And as Remdk says, different commands from on high.

four weeks people, live with it!
I try to stay away from drink when I'm travelling: so though I resent prohibitions, I quite welcome dryness on board.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Will it be less crowed during rush hours in the Lounges, because of Ramadan?
Can imagen that local people will travel less to keep close to family.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Will it be less crowed during rush hours in the Lounges, because of Ramadan?
Can imagen that local people will travel less to keep close to family.
Justin Case it is correct that fewer Qataris travel during Ramadan and this is reflected in a number of flight cancellations, mostly regional. As far as I recall the morning flights all fly, it is the daytime and early evening flights that appear to be cancelled.
However most passengers are in transit so you may not notice much difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.