Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is "R" Class ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:55 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by G-BOAA
BA Executive Club just confirmed by pm that R will earn 125% avios, effective from 1st May.
R Class on BA is a different Fare Category to R Class on QR.

The information you have been given, as far as I am aware, may be incorrect.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 7:44 am

I specifically asked about R class on Qatar, and the answer was it would earn 125%, and that they had just been notified about it from Qatar.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I specifically asked about R class on Qatar, and the answer was it would earn 125%, and that they had just been notified about it from Qatar.
Interesting.

I spoke to the GGL line and asked, and they were adamant there were no TPs or Avios. That being said, I did call a week or so ago, so the info may now be out of date.

Did they advise the TP's situation?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:12 am

The tp's weren't mentioned. I asked, will report back when I here.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:56 am

It's been confirmed the tp's will be the usual amount for that route in QR in business.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:00 am

It's been confirmed the tp's will be the usual amount for that route in QR in business.
Very interesting, and thanks for posting the newly released info.

There will be a lot of relieved FTers.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:11 pm

Just had confirmation that class R only earns with British Airways post 1st May and for flights prior to this the avios can't be manually added.
This is from BA Executive Club via pm here.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
^^^ Thanks. Got a QR flight in R to CGK coming up in May.

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
There will be a lot of relieved FTers.
It is definitely welcome news. And it means that OW isn't going the way of *A just yet.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:35 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Matt4
IMO Avios are a better value currency than Qmiles
Originally Posted by escape4
What value do you approximately give to Avios vs Qmiles?
Just compare award charts.
For example, LHR-BKK return in biz costs 120,000 avios or 150,000 Qmiles.
Matt4, I was asking the question more in terms of generally how much do you think 1 avios is worth, for example 0.01 GBP? Versus the value of 1 Qmile. 0.008 GBP? so 20% less?

We can compare the charts, but I am not sure it will necessarily be conclusive. Based on one route I would not automatically conclude that Avios are worth 25% more than Qmiles because that route requires 120k Avios compared to 150k Qmiles. Different routes have different costs and that also ignores the cash amount you need to pay to fly that route. If I am not mistaken, the cash outlay to go along the 120k Avios would be greater with BA than the cash required with QR on top of the 150k Qmiles. However I do not have much experience with this so I might be wrong, which is why I was asking the question of the value of Avios vs Qmiles to begin with. I do not pretend to have the answer.

Also you are using a route which is a direct flight for BA but two flights for QR. If we compare a route that requires two flights for both airlines it might be more fair, for example BKK-JFK. Then it's 250k Avios vs 200k Qmiles and if you are QR Platinum then it's 190k Qmiles, almost 25% less than BA rather than 25% more. But that is still only one route and ignores the cash element so I would not conclude that Qmiles are worth 25% more than Avios (the opposite conclusion of yours).

Which brings me back to my previous question. Generally speaking how much do people value one avios relative to one qmile?

I realize this might be a bit off topic although this thread could trigger a rethink for some people on whether to accrue Qmiles vs Avios for R-class so not completely irrelevant.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Well, none of this has popped up about American's AAdvantage program. So far, R gets nothing. I am in the process of doing CDG-HKG on UL instead of QR. UL added advantage seems to be a free stopover in Colombo which is a MUCH nicer place than Doha.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Just noticed that Checkmytrip is confused about R as well, upcoming flight shows up as Economy - no surprise, really.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Hello

I have a flight osl-sin-osl in class R. On manage my booking and on my e-ticket receipt it says Business class. I have also choose my preferred seat in business class. Today I check in online. On the boarding pass it says economy, but I still have my business seat.

I guess i will get an business boarding pass on thei airport so I will not have any problem getting in on the premium lounge in Doha.

- Haavard
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by haavard77
Hello

I have a flight osl-sin-osl in class R. On manage my booking and on my e-ticket receipt it says Business class. I have also choose my preferred seat in business class. Today I check in online. On the boarding pass it says economy, but I still have my business seat.

I guess i will get an business boarding pass on thei airport so I will not have any problem getting in on the premium lounge in Doha.

- Haavard
Most of my Boarding Passes printed at home, show Economy...despite usually being in First.

Nothing to worry about, but make sure you get paper boarding passes at the airport.

Safe travels,

M
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:44 pm

I spoke yesterday with a senior QR manager who indicated that R is a paid business class fare to be rolled out to more markets (including, eventually, the Americas -- where it is not yet present). He indicated that QR intends it to get full loyalty credit in all partner programs. He said there's no sensitivity to sharing this information.

Of course there's also no guarantee of when the change will be made for each partner program, or whether/how R fares might be credited in the interim. But in the long run, QR's intent is clear.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
So the question is : what's the purpose of R booking class ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.