Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: msm2000uk
Welcome to the best place to discuss your issue or complaint about QR.

Here on the QR Forum, we have seen and helped FTers with many different complaints, issues, and problems with Qatar Airways.

The official QR Contact line do not tend to show too much creativity in problem resolution, and can be a little slow.

The best options, are either through Twitter, or by email below.

So, before messaging QR directly ([email protected]), why not share your problem here, and see if we can assist?
Print Wikipost

Complaints / Rants / Problems with QR

Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by obduro
Blimey, that is an awful experience. What steps have they taken to sort it?

...was the F upgrade worth it at least?!
They did sort the F-mess in Doha, but with me having an unforseen delay with net 500 USD out of pocket (1 day hotel at destination paid and not used, one night in Doha on my expense).

Seeing I still have no luggage, I don't see getting 6 hours of F as worth compared to just doing it all in business. Factor the money and inconvenience into it and I'm likely to say I will just save the money and hassle and let the QCredits expire. My experience with QRPC thus far is 50-50 in terms of what goes well and what ends up in a involuntary safari, based on 5 years as a platinum member.

For me wether or not I drink Krug, or how nice the F cabin is, is not really a huge point. I might as well just let the QCredits lapse (my travel pattern makes them unusable for me for anything else).

All in all, the whole way the culture in Doha works, with everything being a negotioation, and seeing how willing people are to pass the buck, the time spent chasing an organisation that is more focused on bling than getting basic processes to work, I see extremely low value in being a platinum, as it is at the end of the day either time and/or money out of my side of the equation.

All I want now is my luggage so I can settle in and get my work done.

-A

Last edited by ph-ndr; Apr 21, 2017 at 3:04 am Reason: Edit for clarity and speeeling.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:02 am

One positive thing, the Al-Safwa lounge did serve V-C 2006 Ponsardin Brut, which I found to be extremely drinkable. It's noted on my shopping list at home.

-A

Last edited by ph-ndr; Apr 21, 2017 at 3:08 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:37 am

Just got word the luggage would be here some time tomorrow.

-A
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:34 pm

Luggage is aparently in a car being delivered now, but the fun part seems to be that the bag got here with TG from OSL. That means that QR actually offloaded my bag in OSL whilst trying to sort the ticket, and then noone in Doha did anything on this either while claiming my luggge was OK at checkin in Doha for BKK.

Fantastic piece of coordination.

-A
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by ph-ndr
All in all, the whole way the culture in Doha works, with everything being a negotioation, and seeing how willing people are to pass the buck, the time spent chasing an organisation that is more focused on bling than getting basic processes to work, I see extremely low value in being a platinum, as it is at the end of the day either time and/or money out of my side of the equation.
In my experience, it's generally like this once you get away from first-world levels of business and customer service. What is 'just passing' to us is usually what is considered 'great service' in those parts of the world. (You should hear about the food disaster at my wedding reception in Bangalore India--really great when your guests miss your wedding because of food illnesses from the hotel's food.)

This being said, I've generally found QR economy service to be on par with economy offerings from other carriers on the same legs, but at a lesser fare--so a good value.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
In my experience, it's generally like this once you get away from first-world levels of business and customer service. What is 'just passing' to us is usually what is considered 'great service' in those parts of the world. (You should hear about the food disaster at my wedding reception in Bangalore India--really great when your guests miss your wedding because of food illnesses from the hotel's food.)
I work in both rural East Africa and some cities there, as well as parts of Asia, I am very familiar with what to expect in various locales, and know that can all lead to both fun and consternation.

On the other hand, as for QR, the moment their marketing people start calling it a three star airline I will adjust my expectations to that level. Right now I've following their lead on this being a five star operation.

-A
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite

On the other hand, as for QR, the moment their marketing people start calling it a three star airline I will adjust my expectations to that level. Right now I've following their lead on this being a five star operation.

-A

My main problem apart from the EC compensation (see up-thread) was the fact that in LHR the Check-in supervisor and the Ticket desk Manager told me the Entebbe flight would be held but in the unlikely event it was not, I would be routed on the flight to Nairobi and then to Entebbe arriving about three hours late. My gut reaction was to insist on a reroute from LHR but these two senior staff were adamant that everything would work well. I believe that I was deliberately lied to just to get me on the plane and out of their sphere of responsibility.

Of course it didn't work as they insisted it would. All Doha were originally offering was a 24 hour delay until the following day which would have got me in hours after I was meant to make the keynote speech at a conference. It was only through my insistence that they do something that I even got a different offer.

I shall remember the souk analogy if ever travelling on QR again.
Certainly the BAEC comments built up expectations that were not reached.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:35 am

I work in both rural East Africa and some cities there, as well as parts of Asia, I am very familiar with what to expect in various locales, and know that can all lead to both fun and consternation.

-A
So then you know the '5 star rating' is also something that one needs to accommodate based on the region.

India has a bunch of hotels that boast '7 stars'. I've yet to find one '5 star' that exceeded your normal US Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn--and this is after being in the hospitality industry myself for the better part of 3 decades.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by SamirD
So then you know the '5 star rating' is also something that one needs to accommodate based on the region.
It doesn't stop me from using their words against them as needed. You market your wares to me, and make bold claims, then I measure your claims to my expectations. As a global business I expect them to not behave as a local company. Do I hold the IT department I run for a hospital so far out in the bush in Tanzania that we barely see tourists to the same standard? No.

On the other hand, it is only fair dues to say that their cabin product is very good. The problems are almost exclusively related to the folks running the shop and how it is run on the ground.

-A
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:33 am

It doesn't stop me from using their words against them as needed. You market your wares to me, and make bold claims, then I measure your claims to my expectations. As a global business I expect them to not behave as a local company. Do I hold the IT department I run for a hospital so far out in the bush in Tanzania that we barely see tourists to the same standard? No.

On the other hand, it is only fair dues to say that their cabin product is very good. The problems are almost exclusively related to the folks running the shop and how it is run on the ground.

-A
That's true--if they talk the talk, they should walk the walk. But as you know that is sometimes an arduous task. It's so bad, that most people from the west walk away with their losses.

I too have found the cabin product to be good and the ground staff and communications areas to be the areas lacking.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
On a recent flight, I asked to be served a light meal 3 hours into the flight as I wanted to rest a bit first.
After 3 hours nothing happens. Well, it is not like I am going anywhere so I decide to wait and see. Half an hour passes and then one FA approaches me:
- Do you want to eat now?
- Yes please!
- OK, give us 20 minutes to heat your meal.
That last part is rather silly as it is a cold meal option but at least now I know food is in the works. I continue to wait. 45 minutes later my cold meal arrives, without the drink ordered. I actually have to call to get it.

When '3 hours' turns into '4 hours 15 minutes' it seems rather pointless to set a dining time in advance.

Am I expecting to much when I think the dine-on-demand concept should deliver the ordered food within say 10 minutes?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by intuition
Am I expecting to much when I think the dine-on-demand concept should deliver the ordered food within say 10 minutes?
No, but you are expecting too much when you don't make allowances for oversights. No one is perfect; and I expect that that includes you. More to the point, you are, IMO, somewhat responsible for your own situation due to your choosing to "wait and see" instead of being proactive. Were you more interested in eating or conducting some type of customer service experiment?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:27 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Platinum, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Like I said I had no better place to be so indeed I made it into a customer service benchmark.

At the 3 hour mark, the FA was busy serving customers in another row, and it felt unnecessary and DYKWIA to call for attention. It was absolutely no big deal, and I assumed they would get to me in due time. They did at the 3.30 mark which I felt was still within reason.

However, by not being ready to serve anything by then and needing another 45 minutes to "heat" a cold pre-plated meal makes me think the crew on this flight was not experienced or trained well enough to fulfil reasonable expectations on the dine-on-demand concept.

They approached me in the beginning of the flight asking when and what I wanted to eat, and as it was a 16 hour flight, timing on meal service was going to make a difference for jetlag management. What is why I opted for a specific time, instead of just call when I want to eat which I usually do.

Now, I did not at all imply that oversights could not happen nor that staff needs to be perfect. I am just checking to see what expectation one can have on the dine-on-demand concept. If a 1.15 delay is within the standards then so be it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
... as it was a 16 hour flight, timing on meal service was going to make a difference for jetlag management.
As I'm aging, I find jetlag getting increasingly severe on my bi-monthly commutes between UTH and BOS. For me, managing jetlag would be far more important than conducting a customer service experiment to see how good/bad the onboard service is. I would have been much more proactive.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
...I asked to be served a light meal 3 hours into the flight as I wanted to rest a bit first.
After 3 hours nothing happens. Well, it is not like I am going anywhere so I decide to wait and see. Half an hour passes and then one FA approaches me:
- Do you want to eat now?
- Yes please!
- OK, give us 20 minutes to heat your meal.
...I continue to wait. 45 minutes later my cold meal arrives...

When '3 hours' turns into '4 hours 15 minutes' it seems rather pointless to set a dining time in advance.

I think a ten minute margin on a planned dining slot is over enthusiastic - unless you are willing to intervene with some polite chivying. Remembering the sequence of service, three hours into the flight could be in the awkward time when the regular meal service is being cleared away, and the galley is a busy place.

In your case the crew missed the three hour "wake-up" call, and then spent 25 minute longer than planned preparing your meal.

Either the timing was important to you (in which case you'd want to remind crew of your request after three hours was gone), or it wasn't important (in which case .....).

The clue might be in the label dine-on-demand: rest, sleep, read ..whatever, then press the call button when you want to eat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.