Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free and transiting via Doha

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Duty Free and transiting via Doha

Hi, please can anybody confirm that if one was to buy duty free at Heathrow Airport (cosmetics etc. rather than booze!) it wont be confiscated at Doha if over 100mls and if it is in a Heathrow sealed bag? Many thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Hi, please can anybody confirm that if one was to buy duty free at Heathrow Airport (cosmetics etc. rather than booze!) it wont be confiscated at Doha if over 100mls and if it is in a Heathrow sealed bag? Many thanks.
Hi Charlotte,
I confirm, if it's in a sealed bag it won't be confiscated. I'm use to bring from CDG wine in sealed bag and had no problem when transiting at Doha.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Many thanks Abyssin - always worthwhile to check before you buy...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Hi Abyssin, many thanks for confirming that. Its always worthwhile checking before you buy. Charlotte
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC
What if you have STPC and are leaving the airport to go to a hotel for a few hours?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Two issues here:

- you would be importing it into Qatar and then re-exporting it
- the sealed bag rule generally applies up to 24 hours from purchase of the duty free liquids

You'd probably need to pack it in your checked bags before returning to the airport.

FWIW importing alcohol into Qatar is not allowed.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Transit security at DOH doesn't require that you take liquids out of you bags at all unless you are en route to the USA. I think they are more worried about metal objects rather than liquids.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Thanks both. This was an entirely theoretical question rather than something that I'm worried about - but good to know!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:41 pm

Ideas: Arrive 1 a.m., leave at 8 a.m.

Any ideas about the best way to spend the wee hours in the airport. Our flight arrives at 1:30 a.m. and we depart at 8:40 a.m.

We are flying business and are emerald with OneWorld.

Because there is a connecting flight earlier than ours, Qatar tells us we do not qualify for an overnight stay. Also, I had thought we could go to the new first class lounge and stay there, but now I have learned we don't qualify for it as we are not flying first. (Even though first isn't available on our flight.)

So, is one of the lounges open 24 hours where there are reasonable places to catch a few winks or would you recommend booking a few hours in the air-side hotel?

In advance, thanks everyone for your insights and help.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Take the hotel. Might be expensive but it is worth it. The lounge for 6 hrs is not too bad but there are hardly any sofas (all seats) and it is very boring. It looks nicer than it is.

You are correct that you do not qualify for an overnight stay and they protect their first class lounge ferociously, so you can forget about that. You don't even get access with an operational upgrade to F.

The HIA hotel has special 8hr packages. You can contact them directly for it. Still around €160, but just add it to the price of the ticket in your mind.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
As a J passenger, you would have access to the Al Mourjan lounge, which is better than the "First class lounge" you have access to as OWE. The latter is not the same as the lounge used by QR/OW passengers traveling in First.

I do agree with Henkybaby - the airside hotel is a good shout. Make sure you reserve in advance.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: The Embassy
I've done this three or four times flying BKK to LHR, with very slightly different times.

Airport hotel is excellent, quiet and comfortable. It only takes one time of seeing the people who didn't book in advance sat with red eyes, crying infants, and a general air of dejection, despair, and despondency to convince you never to join that category...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
I've done this three or four times flying BKK to LHR, with very slightly different times.

Airport hotel is excellent, quiet and comfortable. It only takes one time of seeing the people who didn't book in advance sat with red eyes, crying infants, and a general air of dejection, despair, and despondency to convince you never to join that category...
Last time I checked in at the Airport hotel it was a crowd trying to get a room, even security that only let people with reservations approach the check-in desk. Advance booking seems to be important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.