Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum connection time Doha airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:40 am

Misconnects do happen of course, but so rarely that they haven't felt the need to adjust the MCT. It would cost them too much if the schedules regularly didn't work. It's only happened to me once in over ten years passing through DOH, and then only because of very extreme weather which messed up all the schedules.

If I were in your shoes, I would book the HKT flight if that is where you want to end up. You are offsetting a tiny risk of misconnection against the certainty of a longer journey via BKK, probably at higher cost and with an additional connection to risk.

If by misfortune you are seriously delayed on the inbound from LHR, they may well be able to reroute you via BKK anyway rather than hanging around in Doha for 24 hours.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:02 am

qwest01 I do not think you have any need to worry. A certain allowance for take off delays is built into the schedule and at present all arrivals from LHR are +- 5 minutes. Usually if a flight is late arriving then there are QR staff to help you make your connection. Should you miss your connection due to late arrival QR will look after you and try ensure that the delay to you is as short as possible. A missed connection due to a late incoming flight is expensive for QR so they will try and help you make the connection.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
My flights from LHR - DOH typically land early - sometimes up to half an hour early (as they pad the timings to guard against delays) and only once have I ever missed a connection at DOH despite many short transits from LHR. On that occasion I was travelling on a cheap Y fare code and was proactively offered either a reroute on another airline or a STPC until the next QR flight to my destination. I chose the stopover and had a great time
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Decision made for me.

Well, they say money talks and in this case it did. Whilst trying to decide, I came across two bus returns for my dates to BKK at Ł1500 each so since the flights to HKT were going to be Ł3000 each, the difference in price was decisive. So, problem solved and Ł3K to spend on vacation and return flights fro BKK to HKT and a couple of nights in the BKK Novotel to ensure safe connections.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:28 am

what does flying J mean?

Originally Posted by brunos
Flying J, it never took me more than 20 min from gate to gate.
And the supposed closing of the gate 20 minutes early is just a warning to have pax speed to the gate.
i am considering booking a flight with just a 1 hr 5 min connection in Doho never been there before and worried.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:49 am

Heather Hughes Ferdinand welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the QR forum. You may fine the QR dashboard useful when looking for answers.
I strongly recommend that you look at the dashboard widget http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html especially the 'Short connections' link.
Follow the advice there, relax and enjoy your QR flights.

J is the term used on this forum for Business class.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Heather Hughes Ferdinand
i am considering booking a flight with just a 1 hr 5 min connection in Doho never been there before and worried.
Hi, Heather Hughes Ferdinand. 1:05 is generally enough time for a connection at Doha airport. It's a large, spread-out airport, so you won't have time to dawdle and shop. If you can give us some additional details, we may be able to add info for you. Things like arrival and departure times (the airport is definitely more crowded at certain times of the day), origin city of the inbound flight and destination of your outbound flight, and class of service will be helpful. Also, will you have checked baggage?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:02 am

Hi - Am looking at flying from Dublin to Bangkok via Doha next month and the layover is 1hr10mins. I've never been to Doha before so don't know the layout and looking to know if it is sufficient? We will have checked baggage.
The Doha inbound flight is QR 0018 and the outbound one is QR 0834.
Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:40 am

David Mannion welcome to Flyertalk and to the QR forum. You will find the QR dashboard a useful tool.
All the information you are looking for can be found on the dashboard widget about DOH airport and its links. Especially the short connections link.
Follow the advice given and you will have a comfortable transit.
Your luggage will probably be onboard your onward flight before you board!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Rather than making you look it up, David Mannion, I can tell you from my own experience of a couple of dozen DOH transits in the last year or so that 70 minutes is enough time. Keep in mind, however, that DOH is a spread-out airport. So while you'll have sufficient time to make your connection with no problem, you won't have time for dawdling in a lounge or for shopping. You should go directly to the departure gate after you clear transfer security.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
40 Min Connection Time

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but its seemed the closest to my situation.

My family QR booking with a 45 min connection has just changed to 40 mins

Arriving on QR006 LHR-DOH at 16:50 and transferring on to QR964 DOH -DPS departing 17:30 in May

Having read through this old thread, should I be worried if the landing is on time or do QR still arrange assistance to make the connection (I appreciate that if the first flight is delayed its out of their control).

Only once previously have I transited in DOH, but I cant remember much about that apart from that was a F to J DMM-DOH-ICN.

This this trip is a Y and seats have been selected at the front of the cabin, wife and daughter have been told to not pack liquids etc and wear running shoes.

Its also noted from other threads about fast transfer baggage tags at LHR T4.

Are the arrival and departure gates usually the same (unless its a bus which I think will give no chance of making the connection).

Am I missing anything else?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
If QR IT does the right thing it will within a few days notice that you have an invalid connection time and do something to your itinerary. What it will do is not certain but once it does you can call in and get it adjusted to your satisfaction, probably shifting to an adjacent LHR departure so you maintain the time of your current onward flight from DOH. Make sure when you do call in is that you are certain of what you want, because you will get one free change.
Engineering Travel likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
QR has ground staff meeting every flight holding signs for flights with tight connections. They will expedite your connection but you'll still have to make the flight before the gate closes. If the connection is impossible on the day (eg. delayed inbound flight) then approach one of the transit desks or QR information counters for assistance.

Security is very efficient. The departing and arriving gates depend on where you flight comes from/departs to and what equipment it is (eg. It's highly likely that A380s use jetbridges). All A and B gates are jetbridges. Additionally, C1-13, D1-4 and E1-4 gates are jetbridges. All other gates are remote stands. Do note that sometimes they bus passengers from a jetbridge to a remote stand because the aircraft at the jetbridge is for another flight.

If I remember correctly, QR has tags with 'Minimum connection time' written on it.

Last edited by realgaga; Jan 8, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by plunet
If QR IT does the right thing it will within a few days notice that you have an invalid connection time and do something to your itinerary. What it will do is not certain but once it does you can call in and get it adjusted to your satisfaction, probably shifting to an adjacent LHR departure so you maintain the time of your current onward flight from DOH. Make sure when you do call in is that you are certain of what you want, because you will get one free change.
45 minutes is not an invalid connection time for QR in Doha to non-US destinations so realgaga's response is closer to the mark.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...ecting-flight-
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ft101
45 minutes is not an invalid connection time for QR in Doha to non-US destinations so realgaga's response is closer to the mark.

https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...ecting-flight-
The OPs query was because their previously scheduled 45min connection had now narrowed to 40min and was now below MCT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.