CAI turnaround is it possible?

Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
CAI turnaround is it possible?

Hello QR flyers

I have a few questions to ask before I purchase my ticket. I would to know if the following turnaround is achievable at CAI airport with QR.

Day 1 arrive from LHR get multi entry tourist visa stay the night.

Day 2 CAI to SIN via DOH ticket already purchased.

DAY 5 SIN CAI via DOH arrive at 1200 with checked in luggage in A/j class first/business. Now I want to return on the same aircraft that departs at 1330. So is it possible to arrive from DOH clear immigration and customs already have visa, pick up my checked in bags then get to departures to re-check in for the 1330 flight.

I know there is a flight that leaves at 1840 but the ticket price is double so I can’t do that. So its either spend another night in CAI or try for the 1330 departure to DOH.

Can QR provide meet and greet service at CAI. Is it worth emailing the QR station manager and asking them if it can be done?

Any ideas and thoughts would be great.

Cheers

Captainc747
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
With checked baggage it could be difficult. You need a visa and to clear immigration to access the baggage carousel to claim your baggage.

With current security in Cairo, I'm not sure the ground staff will do that for you. There is a transit option to bypass immigration, but then what about your checked luggage?

Check in for QR closes 1 hour before departure, so you might just make it in 30 min. But I'm not sure about your plan. From the EK forum I know people have successfully done what you propose, but without checked baggage. I've only done it with checked baggage and I took the morning arrival and evening departure, which is what you say costs double.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
I concur with UAworldwide.

It's entirely pot luck if you breeze through CAI T1 immigration at that time of day, or whether you're in a queue for 30 minutes. Within the space of approximately 90 minutes there are scheduled EK, QR, KU and EY flight arrivals, and with no guarantee as to which flights will arrive early or late on any given day you might experience immigration heaven or hell.

Delivery of checked bags to the conveyor belt is generally surprisingly quick in CAI, and once you exit T1 arrivals it's literally a left turn and 20 paces to the QR T1 departures entrance (which can be a bit of a rugby scrum).

The other factor working against you is that runway 05L/23R (the runway closest to CAI T1) is currently non-operational, and the taxi time from either 05C/23C or 05R/23L can easily take 15 minutes.

Although you can book a car from the steps of the aircraft to the terminal it's hardly any quicker than taking the QR F passengers only bus - so save your money there.

I'd get yourself a room at a hotel in close proximity to the airport, and fly QR CAI-DOH the following lunchtime, relaxed and ready for a few more glasses of champagne.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Another nail (or two):

Unless you're James Bond cool, you'd be in a state of some stress waiting for your bags to be spat out onto the carousel (T1 is a bit of circus). You'll then have to get through the customs inspection. The agent will likely sniff out your anxiety and misinterpret it. More delay.

As for requesting assistance from QR at CAI. These are difficult times. I wouldn't draw attention to the oddness of your itinerary.

Get a good night's land-based sleep before you start another QR trip through Doha: you'll enjoy it more.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Simply not doable. With carryon only - yes maybe, but with checked baggage, no.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Also worth noting is you cannot get a multi entry visa on arrival, they are single visit only and cancelled once you depart . You would need to get one from the Egyptian consulate in London before travel
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Why not leave your luggage in DOH and pick it up there (assuming you have a longer layover there on the return)?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:51 pm
R2

Why not leave your luggage in DOH and pick it up there (assuming you have a longer layover there on the return)?
Assuming the OP's flight SIN-DOH-CAI is on a single PNR, QR will not allow him to short check his luggage to DOH only.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for all the great info. I had a gut feeling it was going to be hard to do. However with some more research from the depths of IATA Matrix I was able to find a flight leaving CAI on the later flight the same day. This now means more time in DOH and maybe a free city tour.

Cheers

Captainc747
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by captainc747
Thanks for all the great info. I had a gut feeling it was going to be hard to do. However with some more research from the depths of IATA Matrix I was able to find a flight leaving CAI on the later flight the same day. This now means more time in DOH and maybe a free city tour.

Cheers

Captainc747
There is the 13:30 and 18:30 connection to DOH. Maybe that is indeed your best option.

Apart from that maybe the most serene way of doing it is staying a night at the Le Meridien CAI. Will do the same this Friday.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crombiestone
Also worth noting is you cannot get a multi entry visa on arrival, they are single visit only and cancelled once you depart . You would need to get one from the Egyptian consulate in London before travel
But I think single-entry visa stickers are available from the banking guichets for each entry. They usually take up only a few minutes to arrange - filling some of the time you'd wait for the bags

But I guess all that's moot now..
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
But I think single-entry visa stickers are available from the banking guichets for each entry. They usually take up only a few minutes to arrange - filling some of the time you'd wait for the bags

But I guess all that's moot now..
In theory you could get two visa stickers and use the second one the next time, no?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
In theory you could get two visa stickers and use the second one the next time, no?
Sure you can. Sticker sellers are not required to test your compliance with regulations, or anything else.

I've given up on multi-entry visas because in my current situation they are 6-monthly and a bit of a faff to arrange, either at home or in Cairo. I had considered buying a small stock of stickers for any time i'm in a hurry, but really it's so easy, and fast, to buy them on arrival. Or perhaps i'm just fortunate.

The downside is that stickers fill passport pages!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Sure you can. Sticker sellers are not required to test your compliance with regulations, or anything else.

I've given up on multi-entry visas because in my current situation they are 6-monthly and a bit of a faff to arrange, either at home or in Cairo. I had considered buying a small stock of stickers for any time i'm in a hurry, but really it's so easy, and fast, to buy them on arrival. Or perhaps i'm just fortunate.

The downside is that stickers fill passport pages!
Interestingly enough I just checked in for my LH flight to CAI tomorrow and the app said that multiple entry visa on arrival is available. I shall see (not that I need it).
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Interestingly enough I just checked in for my LH flight to CAI tomorrow and the app said that multiple entry visa on arrival is available. I shall see (not that I need it).
please do .. ad please report. If the multi-entry visa is any more than the multi-sticker option you suggested, I'll be thrilled!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.