Seat Preference based on Tier Level

Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
My personal experience as BA silver/OWS usually travelling Y:

- access to the A380 upper deck Y cabin
- adjacent seat blocked, unless the flight is full of course

This usually happens automatically once my BA number is in the booking, although I did have to call up once to get access to the A380 upper deck when it wasn't presented as a choice on the website.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Yep, as soon as I change seat selection I can normally see the adjacent seat is immediately blocked on ExpertFlyer ^^^

Interestingly, I can also choose seats when completing OLCI that show as blocked on ExpertFlyer, so guessing that is a status perk (I've only really noticed this since turning Platinum but may well apply to Gold too, not sure).
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Yep, as soon as I change seat selection I can normally see the adjacent seat is immediately blocked on ExpertFlyer ^^^

Interestingly, I can also choose seats when completing OLCI that show as blocked on ExpertFlyer, so guessing that is a status perk (I've only really noticed this since turning Platinum but may well apply to Gold too, not sure).
As a humble Gold, I am pretty certain that the adjacent seat blocking benefit only applies to Platinum's. I said this in an earlier post on this thread, and the quote from your's that I have highlighted in bold seems to bear this out. I have often seen the seat next to me blocked out on Expert Flyer, only to find it taken in reality, even when there were other seats vacant on the upper deck.

My first flights as a Platinum are in a few weeks time, and I will be interested to see if this benefit on under-subscribed flights really applies. It will be nice if it does.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Do we think this applies to J too? I generally find the seat on the 777 next to me is empty unless the plane is packed to the gills.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I've been a platinum since that level got introduced, and I've not really noticed any soft-blocking going on. Sample size is 20-30 flights.

-A
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:06 pm

>> Do we think this applies to J too? I generally find the seat on the 777 next to me is empty unless the plane is packed to the gills.

Not according to the FAQ. Only mentions Y. http://support.qatarairways.com/hc/e...referred-Seats
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:54 pm

Preferred seating has nothing to do with blocking the seat beside a Gold or Platinum member. Preferred seating is for the front rows of the Y cabin only.

Seat blocking applies to all classes provided there is space.
On Friday the seat beside me in J was blocked but there was one other seat available. I am Gold and this privilege is almost always given.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Flew Y on A380 and B787 a few days ago.
I booked 27D upper deck hoping to get 4 seats, no luck 27G was taken.
I don't see any advantage to have 4 seats for two unrelated passengers.
Window sides most rows had 2 seats occupied, I got the gold FA welcome speech with food pre-selection. Upper deck not full. Seems any one can book upper deck with OLCI, status holders have next seat blocked until high load I guess.

Choose window seat on the B787, middle seat was free, aisle seat other gold passenger (we both got the FA welcome speech and food selection). Again no luck: middle row had 1 pax for 3 seats, behind me also 1 pax for 3 seats.

Any way, return flight in J a few days from now, I am not a Y aficionado...
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by tartempion
I am not a Y aficionado...
Who is? I'll be flying up to your neck of the woods in January, and MrsZebrametalevel has booked us on Nok from DMK, which I am dreading.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nuff Said
I have often seen the seat next to me blocked out on Expert Flyer, only to find it taken in reality, even when there were other seats vacant on the upper deck.
Yeah, it doesn't always stick if the flight is moderately busy. I guess when staff are checking people in at the airport they're more concerned about allocating seats quickly to all pax. I think I've generally fared better on average with empty seats than if I had no status though.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:35 am

>> Preferred seating is for the front rows of the Y cabin only.
And the A380 upper deck Y cabin, which is definitely more important to me than where I sit a 35 min intra-Gulf hop (Al Maha substitutions apart ... ).

Choosing a B777 operated flight intra-Gulf is often good for op-ups when there is a down gauge, but less good if you've paid for J and want to avoid a cabin full of interlopers. I've had a pretty good success rate this year on B777 to A330 substitutions.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Who is? I'll be flying up to your neck of the woods in January, and MrsZebrametalevel has booked us on Nok from DMK, which I am dreading.
Nok is fine, new planes, sweet FA's, never had a problem, just purchase extra weight online if needed, max 40kgs.

I guess you stay down town Bangkok some nights? Otherwise Thai Smile is your only choice BKK-UTH.

QR836 lands 12.10 WE6 departs 14.35, I am usually checked in by 13.00 no need for taxi to DMK.

As for flying J most farangs here shake their head, they don't get it why I spend my hard earned cash on expensive tickets, up to them....

Last edited by tartempion; Nov 29, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Lifetime Bonvoy Platinum, HHonors Gold , TK Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
As a platinum that does 3-4 QR flights a month in business, I have never experienced any seat blocking...perhaps only in coach? I have had flights where empty rows were available (BRU-DOH equip swap to 330) and they seated a paxing FA beside me; when flying to Houston on a weekday, flights are sometimes lighter, with a few seats empty, yet there is still someone beside me...perhaps it says somewhere in my profile "afraid to be alone?"
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Seat blocking is definitely something manual, not a benefit I could see written in their seating policies and applied automatically.
Typically, airlines would also create a "preferred seating" area in the aircraft and book that for their FQTVs(e.g. exit rows, leg space seats), or prevent them from sitting close to certain seats (stretcher or deportees, etc)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by freddo
As a platinum that does 3-4 QR flights a month in business, I have never experienced any seat blocking...perhaps only in coach? I have had flights where empty rows were available (BRU-DOH equip swap to 330) and they seated a paxing FA beside me; when flying to Houston on a weekday, flights are sometimes lighter, with a few seats empty, yet there is still someone beside me...perhaps it says somewhere in my profile "afraid to be alone?"
Indeed, flying CPH-DOH-BKK in J tomorrow experflyer shows 2 bulkhead seats blocked in J, don't see why other seats should be blocked anyway.
Y all free seats blocked except 25, low load I guess.

DOH-BKK J 3 seats blocked (unassigned sold seats?) + 20 free, upper deck only 2 seats chosen, next one blocked, all others free, lower deck all blocked, many middle seats first section blocked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.