Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Hi from the new QR Ambassador - Time for a forum tidy-up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi from the new QR Ambassador - Time for a forum tidy-up

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by QatarA340
Congrats msm2000uk, Mr. Ambassador!

I will be happy to help you with this forum; as I am based here in Doha, within 1 mile of DOH. I used to live literally 300 meters from the runway; but Im glad the new airport is a bit further away.

I would love to get involved; please tell me if I can or what I can do!

Cheers!
Thanks for your post QatarA340.

I would like to make some changes to this forum, and have posted at the below link with a little introduction and ideas.

Lets talk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...m-tidy-up.html
Old Nov 4, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: The Embassy
Would be good to get a flowchart of "Which lounge can I use at DOH?". I started on it a little while ago, but realized I didn't know enough of the answers. Maybe I'll take another shot at it.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

For those who I haven't 'virtually' spoken to, I'm Max and I'm the new QR Forum Ambassador.
Max - fantastic, and if I'm honest, long overdue.

I've lost count of the number of repetitive two or three post threads on this forum on subjects such as equipment changes, DOH transit times, etc. Extremely frustrating, and messy for forum regulars to wade through.

Based, as I am, in CAI I know a thing or two about changing leaders . Knowing from previous personal experience that questioning a Moderator's actions is a sure fire way to get suspended, would it not make sense for the current QR forum Moderator to focus their attention and efforts on the forum they frequent (i.e. EK), and leave this forum to someone like your good self to act as Moderator?

Just a polite suggestion.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
Great! And thanks for volunteering for the post ^. Good luck

Regarding suggestions:
1) a wiki for QR Privilege Club - though lacking slightly in content, the JL one is quite good I think
2) QR mainly being a 'transit' airline (as in most people fly via DOH rather than to DOH), perhaps a specific section on transit tips other than lounges (e.g. flights to choose, etc.)?

3) this is mainly for all Ambassadors/Moderators or whoever is in charge of or high enough in the ranks to do this: seems like there are lounge meet up threads for most airlines - but wouldn't it make a little more sense to have an alliance lounge meet up instead (for guesting/requests)? It seems like the BA thread is most active for oneworld

But regardless, thanks anyway. Looking forward to a new and improved forum!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: The Embassy
Also, a single thread we can merge all Krug-related enquiries in to
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdtravels
3) this is mainly for all Ambassadors/Moderators or whoever is in charge of or high enough in the ranks to do this: seems like there are lounge meet up threads for most airlines - but wouldn't it make a little more sense to have an alliance lounge meet up instead (for guesting/requests)? It seems like the BA thread is most active for oneworld
You can start one yourself if you wish over at the oneworld alliance forum. But that place seems to get less foot traffic than the individual airline fora.

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
questioning a Moderator's actions is a sure fire way to get suspended
So moderators are supposed to welcome feedback—in private. http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules....deratoractions
It is acceptable to PM a moderator with questions. Or at least it is on the BA forum
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:36 pm

While the BA Forum is not perfect, <snip>
Understatement of the year.

I don't tend to read Wikis and skip to the thread content. Do others see value in Wikis?

Agree with stickies on the more frequently visited subjects.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
+1 for holding it in Bangkok...
obviousely....
Old Nov 4, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Congrats on the Ambassador role Max ^

Definitely agree it would be good to have an FAQs wiki (maybe at the top of the newbies questions thread - which could be renamed to indicate "start here" or similar?). Since QR joined oneworld there seem to be many more posters trying QR, which is great - but it does mean the forum can be taken over by the same repeated newbie questions. So yes, great idea to tidy it up!

Happy to help out where I can. Sadly (for me) corporate policy means I fly most of my flights in Y (although QR PC has been very kind to me over the years! ), but perhaps that means I can bring a different perspective at times to some questions / threads.

Also wonder if somewhere in the UK might be one possible place for a "do" as a few of us seem to be based here (BA defectors?!) or Europe - as well as BKK of course.

Good luck and hope you'll enjoy being our Ambassador
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Thanks to all for your kind messages and thoughts on new WIKI and Sticky's.

I have started the tidy up, and a number of threads have been merged to make it easier to find things.

I have requested a number of new WIKI's be created:

1) QR/CX to and from Hong Kong - you would be amazed at the number of threads over the past 6 months regarding HKG!
2) QR to and from Bangkok - As per HKG, many many threads regarding BKK
3) Current QR Sale

More to follow, and certainly there will be WIKI's regarding Connecting on QR, Which Lounge for me? and also QR Privilege Club.

In terms of the latter, would anyone like to volunteer to help create some basic information for QRPC? As a relative new member of QRPC, I am still learning!

M

Last edited by msm2000uk; Nov 5, 2015 at 1:47 am
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have requested a number of new WIKI's be created
Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can create a wikipost, no need to request it. The option is in the "Thread tools" menu at the top right of every thread.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calchas
Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can create a wikipost, no need to request it. The option is in the "Thread tools" menu at the top right of every thread.
Ah, didn't know that.

I'll wait for our forum Mod to make the changes I have requested, and I'll then create the WIKI's (unless the Mod is kind enough to do it for me )
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
If the intended humorous nature of my post wasn't sufficiently obvious, I apologise. It was made as a direct response to msm2000uk's comment about the lack of DOH-based FTers.

The chances of getting more than two or three FTers - let alone a more substantial group - to fly F out of DOH at around the same time are pretty slim.
Don't worry, I recognise toungues in cheek ... But others might not - so I wanted to deflect interest in DO-organisation along more practical channels.

Settling on a location is going to be difficult, and I think we might need to wait for sufficient FT-QR traffic and interest to build up before arranging a DO.

Less formal meet-ups through a "when I'll be passing through DOH" or "in Bangkok next week" Wiki might be a fun way of developing contacts among FTers, though there's always the danger that will be hijacked into a "guest me into a lounge" arena.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Don't worry, I recognise toungues in cheek ... But others might not - so I wanted to deflect interest in DO-organisation along more practical channels.

Settling on a location is going to be difficult, and I think we might need to wait for sufficient FT-QR traffic and interest to build up before arranging a DO.

Less formal meet-ups through a "when I'll be passing through DOH" or "in Bangkok next week" Wiki might be a fun way of developing contacts among FTers, though there's always the danger that will be hijacked into a "guest me into a lounge" arena.
Holding a DO is in my thoughts, but as a medium term goal. For now, I am focused on tidying up the forum and making it easier for people to find things.

The forum mod, Zol, has been very helpful in using his Mod Powers to follow my requests.

We now have a main BKK, main HKG, main Sale, and main HIA thread. The WIKI's within are a work in progress for me, but hopefully will be ready by the end of the weekend.

Again, I appeal to QR FTers for your help and suggestions of what you would like to see - not just in the short-term, but also further in the future.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:30 pm

We now have a main BKK, main HKG, main Sale, and main HIA thread. The WIKI's within are a work in progress for me, but hopefully will be ready by the end of the weekend.
First of all, congrats to your new role as Ambassador. I have read many helpful posts from you in the past. Therefore I believe you will do good in this role.

Secondly, and please all keep this in mind: readers on the mobile FT app are not able to see the the WIKIs. The post containing the WIKI is visible but the content of the WIKI is not.
This is sometimes a bit confusing when people are pointed to the WIKI to find the answer to a question they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.