Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
The Comtes 2006 is excellent. IMHO much nicer then the Krug
Doesn't look quite as impressive to the general audience of the travel blogs, which is apparently all that matters these days
Old Jul 18, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
The Comtes 2006 is excellent. IMHO much nicer then the Krug
First world problem, I know. I just prefer Krug to Comtes 2006. But then I prefer Dom to both of them.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Got an Operational Upgrade on my way to Dubai, but was denied access to AL Safwa. The lady at the desk insisted it's been this way all along - which I know from my own experience it's not the case. Bummer.

Also tried to get to Al Mourjan, but same result.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by David_DLI
Got an Operational Upgrade on my way to Dubai, but was denied access to AL Safwa. The lady at the desk insisted it's been this way all along - which I know from my own experience it's not the case. Bummer.

Also tried to get to Al Mourjan, but same result.
The T&Cs do state no access for Op-Ups, I'm almost certain.

I just don't think it was aggressively enforced until now.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
The T&Cs do state no access for Op-Ups, I'm almost certain.

I just don't think it was aggressively enforced until now.
Agreed, I am aware. Just was hoping they'd keep the lax enforcement of the rule, but rules are rules so it's fair to not allowing me in. Was just reporting on the situation, not complaining
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:43 am

Programs: Qatar Gold
First Timer Opinion

Spent 9 hours in the lounge yesterday between the hours of 4am and 1pm.

Overall, I would say the experience was generally positive. However, much depends on the time of visit...post 11am being far superior than the early morning rush.

The Good

- An incredible layout and design for an airport lounge. Pictures don't do it justice.
- Helpful staff in the restaurant. Eager to offer top-up's for all beverages.
- The couches and lounge chairs are very relaxing.
- Quiet rooms are excellent. Bed was very comfortable.
- The shuttle bus connection from the lounge is useful.

The Bad

- Had to wait 2.5 hours for a quiet room.
- Only breakfast being served in the mornings. Found this terrible as breakfast had been served on the first flight from Manila. Body clock wanted some wholesome food, rather than eggs or pancakes. Very annoying.

Also, why there is a Sushi Table and Salad counter at the shuttle departure area I have no idea. Seems ridiculous when such a big restaurant 2 min walk away!

Will be happy to pass through again in the near future.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:41 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
How busy is Al Safwa in the early evening? Arriving in DOH from BOS (flying J) at 17:45, and departing to AUH (in F) at 02:15 --- what's like capacity usually at during this time? Looks like most of the USA flights arrive around that time, so I'm curious if the sleeper rooms will be fully booked when we get there.

I'm assuming we can reserve the sleeper room when we get there, and if they're full, be added to a waiting list until 1 opens up?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
Originally Posted by Ender4576
How busy is Al Safwa in the early evening? Arriving in DOH from BOS (flying J) at 17:45, and departing to AUH (in F) at 02:15 --- what's like capacity usually at during this time? Looks like most of the USA flights arrive around that time, so I'm curious if the sleeper rooms will be fully booked when we get there.

I'm assuming we can reserve the sleeper room when we get there, and if they're full, be added to a waiting list until 1 opens up?

Thanks in advance!
To follow up, we arrived on time at 17:40 and might have been the only people in Al Safwa at that time haha. No issues getting the sleep-room with 2 beds.

Spoke to waitress while dining and asked what "peak times" we're, she said it starts getting busy around midnight and is most full between 00:00-05:30. We left the lounge at 01:30, and it still felt very empty.

As expected, no Krug, but the Comtes was great. Waitress advised it was pulled from the lounge entirely 3 months ago, FWIW.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
How is this lounge compare with the EK F lounge which all OWE could access when flying QF.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:11 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ausriver
How is this lounge compare with the EK F lounge which all OWE could access when flying QF.
Assuming you are referring to the multiple EK F Lounges at DXB, I would say the Al Safwa is a nicer space and much larger - but the food was much better in the EK Lounge, and there were free Spa Treatments available to F passengers...not for OWE.

The EK F Lounges are simply J Lounges with fewer seats and fewer people.

The Al Safwa is a marble space with seats...opposed to a lounge!

M
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Assuming you are referring to the multiple EK F Lounges at DXB, I would say the Al Safwa is a nicer space and much larger - but the food was much better in the EK Lounge, and there were free Spa Treatments available to F passengers...not for OWE.

The EK F Lounges are simply J Lounges with fewer seats and fewer people.

M
I meant the massive new EK F lounge at T3 DXB, which you could only access when flying EK & QF.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:32 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I meant the massive new EK F lounge at T3 DXB, which you could only access when flying EK & QF.
Ok, so then my comments are relevant.

Nice but a different approach to the Al Safwa.

M
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
What a Marbleous way to describe Al Safwa!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Sadly Al Safwa had the potential to be the best airport lounge in the world. It has fallen short of that. But the hard product is there. An adjustment of the soft product, which is easier to accomplish, and it could be the great lounge it was supposed to be.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:22 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Am in Al Safwa now - very nice!

So......no access if arriving from DWC/DXB/AUH in F and connecting in J (because there is no F!) still...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.