Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
READ BEFORE COMMENTING IF YOU ARE NEW,

Hamad International Airport (HIA) offers passengers a number of different lounges.

This thread, is specifically for the Al Safwa First Class Lounge. Information on the other Lounge options at HIA, can be found here.

Does Al Safwa have a web page?
Yes: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...-al-safwa.page

Dining Menu
https://www.qatarairways.com/content...-dining-en.pdf

Where can I find Al Safwa Lounge?
The Lounge is located on Level 3 of the airport.

Can I use the Qatar Airways Al Safwa Lounge?

Access is based on your underlying fare bucket. This means that upgraded tickets, maybe except upgrades with QPoints (see post 2735), are not granted access.

Access is thus restricted to Qatar Airways First Class, and OneWorld First Class passengers :
- either holding a First Class boarding pass* for their next flight
- or holding a First Class boarding pass from their previous flight.

Additionally, Privilege Club platinum club travelling on any business-class fare are welcomed into the lounge. This is a facility introduced recently and one that could just as easily disappear.

- Guests are not permitted.
* Operational Upgrades to First do not give access. Upgrades with Qpoints may do give acces (see post 2735 - Sept 2022)

Arrival access on mid and long haul? (eg. coming from LHR in F)

YES

​​​​​
Ex. CAI-DOH-HEL
Arrival access regional F? (eg. coming from CAI in F)

Yes.
Caveat, if your underlying J fare is P, then the no lounge access for business light kicks in. And there is no access.

Privilege Club Platinum members are currently allowed in the lounge when travelling on any QR business-class fare: that could change. Other Oneworld Emerald members are directed to the Platinum lounge(s) when travelling in any class, and the Al Mourjan lounge when travelling on relevant business-class fares. Yup, it gets complicated.

What does the lounge look like?
Reports on the Lounge, can be found here and here. Photographs of the lounge, can be found here.

Is there a Spa?
Yes, there is a full Spa, but you will have to pay for treatments. A full list of treatments available can be found here

What about the sleeping rooms?
Stargold in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28199729-post1177.html suggests that access to sleeping rooms is as follows:
'* No reservations allowed - always first-come first-served
* Only available if the remaining time until the flight departure is more than 4 hours
* Passengers are allowed maximum six hours' usage - for any further usage, a fee of QAR 450 is payable for a second block of six hours.
* No F&B of any kind except bottled water in the sleeping rooms.'

What changes can I expect during Ramadan?
Ramadan affects QR and you in many ways so please look at ramadan to see how you are affected.

Updated: 19/11/2023

Print Wikipost

QR Al Safwa First Class Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz
I'm at the airport on Friday for a quick 1 hour transit, though seeing as my ticket is booked in Y, I can't upgrade it higher than C, so I will only be able to see whether they block the escalator.

edit: and even if I could somehow trick them into allowing me to upgrade to F, I wouldn't really want to waste the miles for 20 minutes in the new lounge
yes please!
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:18 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
What QR is saying is that we care more about intra middle east F flyers than long haul J flyers (which most routes do not have F). Makes little sense to thumb your nose at OWE dropping $5-6K on long haul flights. CX/BA/QF understand this.
I have never understood why these 1-2 hour flights which are actually J have been marketed as F.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:05 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by HB7
I have never understood why these 1-2 hour flights which are actually J have been market[ing] as F.
:-)
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by HB7
I have never understood why these 1-2 hour flights which are actually J have been marketed as F.
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Also I suspect there's a fair amount of aping what the US carriers do, which is marketing their regional premium offering as first. I remember the old safety videos from QR used to helpfully point out that smoking on the plane was a federal offence.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
That is a myth that OWE in Y are accessing F lounges in huge numbers. Most Oneworld programs require too much premium cabin flying to attain OWE for that myth to be true.

QR needed Al Safwa to be so large because they have all of these fake F flyers on these intra middle east flights. I'd expect Al Mourjan to become a ghost town after the fake Fs go to Al Safwa.

What QR is saying is that we care more about intra middle east F flyers than long haul J flyers (which most routes do not have F). Makes little sense to thumb your nose at OWE dropping $5-6K on long haul flights. CX/BA/QF understand this.
CX/BA/QF have different types of travellers than QR. First of all they have a much higher percentage of higher yielding O&D travellers.

The branding of the regional F is more to do with the local Qatari market, DOH-DXB-DOH fares in F are around $1350 or around US$ 1.80 per kilometre while you can book on QR.com a MUC-DOH-MEL-DOH-MUC fare in J (was able to price that for Mar 2016) for $2050 or $0.06 per km (That is less than European LCC average fares in economy on a per kilometre basis - not a fair comparison but just contextualises how cheap some of QR's premium fares are) or F class BKK-DOH-LHR-DOH-BKK for $2200 (US$0.10 per kilometre).

Not only are these passengers contributing much more revenue proportionally, they also cost less as the distribution costs are lower (e.g. no commissions in Qatar, while other markets rely on high TA commissions and consolidators) and the taxes on the airfares are lower. They also cost less because they use higher density seating, e.g. an A320 regional F seat takes the space of 2 Y seats while an A380 F seat takes the space of 6 Y seats.

To put things in perspective, 12 O&D pax in first will turn a profit on an A320 (roughly $10000 to 12000 all-in operating cost for an A320 DOH-DXB-DOH) without selling any other seat in Economy or any cargo, while if you fill a 777 with only connecting pax from the US with the typical fares the flight will be loss making even at 100% load factors.

What you label as the "Fake F" fliers are the actually the highest spending core frequent fliers for QR, as that is where the higher number of O&D premium passengers are. While the number of these fliers are small, they contribute a much higher share of revenue proportionally. These are the same passengers that book US$8000 fares to LHR/CDG on the same seats that would be sold for about $1100 (if you divide the $2200 for LHR-DOH-BKK equally). So it makes sense for QR to value them.

Not only is this market less price sensitive, the lounge is a much more important part of the product experience as in many cases more time would be spent in the lounge than in the flight itself. Also this adds more differentiation between regional Y and F to incentivise people to pay the difference between regional Y and F. A typical regional F fare for DOH-DXB-DOH is 8-9 times a typical economy fare on the same route, while your long haul J connecting pax will only pay around 3-4 times the economy price and get a much bigger product differentiation over all. On the other hand most of QR's long haul J class market is price sensitive and the lounge is much less of a factor in the decision making, and Al-Mourjan may not be the best but it certainly is very competitive when looking at other J lounges in the market place.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Oct 21, 2015 at 10:12 pm Reason: I blabbed on too much.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:49 pm

With regards to the OW lounges, remember that the planning for the airport and the space allocated for the lounges was decided way before QR joined OW.

Right now the Al-Mourjan lounge is roughly 10,000 sqm and Al-Safwa will be identical in size. The Gold and Silver lounges combined are about half the size of Al-Mourjan.

In the North Node there is 5000 sqm of lounge space coming up soon. The long term expansion will see another 25,000+ sqm of lounge space. Most of the that additional space will be accessible to OWE/OWS according to HIA personnel statements to the press at the Qatar Transport forum in September 2015, so QR are planning to remedy the OWE/OWS situation while still maintaining exclusivity for their passengers travelling in the premium classes. All in all the amount of lounge space that is yet to open is around 4x that of Al-Mourjan, and it is planned to open in stages over the next 5 years.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Oct 21, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Old Oct 21, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Al Safwa from an inside(r) - OPENING YES!!

Sitting at the bar in Al Mourjan waiting for my DOH-ORD flight and the bartender told me the first class lounge opens today so Al Mourjan shouldn't be as crowded. FWIW, When I asked about the Krug, he said it'll stay.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 11:49 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
Haha, yes you're correct zebrametalevel, I wonder why they are marketING these flights as F. Actually I cringed a little after I submitted the post and then couldn't be bothered changing it as my flight was boarding

In any case, well spotted
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: QR Platinum, EK-Silver, SV-Gold
Originally Posted by N1Rotate

What you label as the "Fake F" fliers are the actually the highest spending core frequent fliers for QR, as that is where the higher number of O&D premium passengers are.
Thank you!! couldn't have said it better.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by HB7
Haha, yes you're correct zebrametalevel, I wonder why they are marketING these flights as F. Actually I cringed a little after I submitted the post and then couldn't be bothered changing it as my flight was boarding

In any case, well spotted
My point was less spelling and more suggesting the answer you were looking for lay in your question...

Last edited by zebrametalevel; Oct 22, 2015 at 1:56 am Reason: missing ]
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Curious_George
Sitting at the bar in Al Mourjan waiting for my DOH-ORD flight and the bartender told me the first class lounge opens [b]today[b/] so Al Mourjan shouldn't be as crowded.
"Today" sounds pretty promising, of course subject to someone providing photographic proof
FWIW, When I asked about the Krug, he said it'll stay.
I'm not so sure, and even if that's what he has been told, QR can simply change its mind very quickly. Would be the only J lounge in the world that I'm aware of serving a prestige champagne on the ground, if this remains the case.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
It's true, I had booked Business from Del to Dubai, via Doha - and suddenly I had a First class ticket from Doh to Dxb. I thought maybe I was upgraded somehow - but only then did I learn they just changed the name from Business to First - it was just me and 3 other people in the entire front of the plane.

Side note, F regionally still gives you more Tier Points.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by jubbing
...Side note, F regionally still gives you more Tier Points.
A phenomenon most BAEC travellers are used to from their AA adventures..
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by HB7
Probably for the same reason the major US carriers market their premium cabin as F, rather than C, on domestic routes.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by stargold
"Today" sounds pretty promising, of course subject to someone providing photographic proof
Yeah, we need pics. After all some staff were saying the lounge was already open two days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.