Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar announces Adelaide (ADL)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Qatar announces Adelaide (ADL)

QR will begin daily non-stop A350 flights to Adelaide, Australia (ADL) from May, 2016

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-1...elaide/6850868
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Schedule

QR 914 DOH – ADL 2055 1625+1
QR 915 ADL – DOH 2130 0450+1
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
This is good, increasing options.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
And I thought that the new SYD service had fully used up their increased entitlements under the bilateral air services agreement...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by irishguy28
And I thought that the new SYD service had fully used up their increased entitlements under the bilateral air services agreement...
Australia's standard bilateral air services agreements only limit flights or seats to PER, BNE, MEL and SYD. Other ports, such as ADL, OOL or CNS, have no limit.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 2:36 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
I think this is great for Adelaide. Considering it is an A350 flying this route, I think it gives Adelaide an advantage over both Melbourne and Sydney.

Personally, I'm based in Melbourne, however I would rather fly to Adelaide and fly out of there to Doha IF I happen to be flying QR.

That is my preference and I believe many others would prefer the A350 over the 77W.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Himeno
Australia's standard bilateral air services agreements only limit flights or seats to PER, BNE, MEL and SYD. Other ports, such as ADL, OOL or CNS, have no limit.
Yes indeed...now that you point that out, it does sound familiar.

^

(You've put that 2 Unlimited track in my head now, though!)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HB7
Personally, I'm based in Melbourne, however I would rather fly to Adelaide and fly out of there to Doha IF I happen to be flying QR.

That is my preference and I believe many others would prefer the A350 over the 77W.
I've previously flown from SYD to MEL to take my QR flights back from Australia. Despite being in the same alliance, Qantas refused to check my bags through.

There may be some enthusiasts who, indeed, take such a detour in order to try a new plane type [I am one, for example] - but in general, it's not going to displace all that much traffic from other hubs, particularly when there are no single-ticket itineraries available. And I can't see these enthusiasts doing it regularly/habitually - it's probably something most people would be happy to try just once.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:22 am
HB7

And I can't see these enthusiasts doing it regularly/habitually - it's probably something most people would be happy to try just once.
Yeh I tend to agree with you there. Even though it is a short hop, generally only an hour or so - it is annoying.

Although for those traveling in J - I'd say the J seat on the A350 is far superior to the 77W, considering it is a great hard product and all seats have aisle access. Do you think this would push a lot more J flyers to prefer this flight?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HB7
Do you think this would push a lot more J flyers to prefer this flight?
Yes, it is crazy that the 77W still doesn't allow aisle access from all J seats.

That is something that would definitely push me towards flying to/from ADL. And if ADL comes in at a lower price than SYD/MEL, then it would be a further incentive.

Actually, it's 13 years since I was last in ADL, so maybe my next trip will include the Festival City...
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:58 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... amazing... ADL - I would never think QR would start flights there... Great city. At least EK will not have the monopoly of flights to Europe via ME.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:45 am
HB7

Actually, it's 13 years since I was last in ADL, so maybe my next trip will include the Festival City...
Haha - I guess it is time for a visit.

Having been there 4 days ago, a tip - eat BEFORE you get to the airport if you want a decent meal
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dislike being held captive by limited, over-priced airport food selections so I never eat in airports anyway - and Adelaide itself is not short of great restaurants!
Old Oct 13, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Originally Posted by Himeno
Hope QR consider flying an" add-on" to HBA-ADL.

VA dropped direct flights a few years ago.. Could be brilliant wedging for 2-3 add-ons to HBA (or to OOL, alternately).... No other domestic AUS domestic carrier currently fly this route HBA-ADL directly, to my knowledge? QR are good in SEAsia with " add-ons".. to HAN, to PNH
Old Oct 13, 2015, 4:01 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
3rd One World connection from Europe to try! (excluding EK - QF Codeshare)

Benefit over MH is full flat beds all the way to Europe. Sleeping on that angle flat on the A330 on a redeye flight from KUL is difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.