Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unattended kids screaming in J QR714

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by mikeef

I don't want to blow your trip to Tokyo, but the Bose headsets tend to make high-pitched sounds worse, not better. Having said that, I've really had very few problems with kids acting up on long-haul flights. The situation seems to get discussed a lot more frequently than it actually occurs.

Mike
Thanks for the info .I wasn't using Tokyo as an example of a noisy flight. Its just my next flight in J and I was going to treat myself to the headphones as they're cheaper to buy there anyway .

Ill agree long haul flights aren't so bad ,however my journeys always start and end with CAI-DOH and in Y they're are almost guaranteed to be 3 hours of hell
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:42 am

I wouldn't have relied on the FAs. I would have woken the parents up, every five minutes if necessary. I also would have spoken firmly to the children and told them to get quiet and stay in their seats. And the kid next to me watching a video without a headset? That would have lasted about 15 seconds.
On the other hand, I always praise children, and their parents, for good behavior, whether on a plane, in a restaurant, or at church.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I wouldn't have relied on the FAs. I would have woken the parents up, every five minutes if necessary. I also would have spoken firmly to the children and told them to get quiet and stay in their seats. And the kid next to me watching a video without a headset? That would have lasted about 15 seconds.
On the other hand, I always praise children, and their parents, for good behavior, whether on a plane, in a restaurant, or at church.
Haha. Love this post. This is why keep putting off the kids and I insist we fly QR J while we can. Having kids in there makes the £££ a little lower in value.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by crombiestone
Thanks for the info .I wasn't using Tokyo as an example of a noisy flight. Its just my next flight in J and I was going to treat myself to the headphones as they're cheaper to buy there anyway .

Ill agree long haul flights aren't so bad ,however my journeys always start and end with CAI-DOH and in Y they're are almost guaranteed to be 3 hours of hell
Off topic - Bose cheaper in Japan? Cheaper than UK? I need to look at my shopping list and electronics were an obvious thought. Don't QR provide NC headphones anyway or are they c**p?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by wavery83
Off topic - Bose cheaper in Japan? Cheaper than UK? I need to look at my shopping list and electronics were an obvious thought. Don't QR provide NC headphones anyway or are they c**p?
Sorry Off topic
I didn't find QR NC headphones very comfortable and no my ears aren't particularly large

Bose QC25 price in UK £270 (including taxes ) Price in Japan £170 (tax free and BIC Camera 6% shop discount or £172 with 5% visa card discount ) . They are £225 in Doha Airport Duty Free.

Last edited by crombiestone; Aug 20, 2015 at 10:54 am Reason: Additional info
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
^
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Spoddy
I'm pretty sure that if the parents are reminded that the captain could divert because of their children's behaviour (what would happen during an emergency?), they'd get them straightened out ASAP.

However, I for one are all for cabins with no kids. Not all flights, just flights where the airline has more than one flight, and then offer that cabin with just adults. Also, where there are more than one F or J cabin available on a single aircraft (747/380), arrange for one that is child free.
As a parent of kids who have flown transatlantic J many times without incident, I find this a terrible idea. It limits my choice as a paying customer because someone is afraid that someone else may not have control over their kids. I've been in J frequently on very long hauls and have seen a lot of well behaved kids of all ages. Frankly, this behavior is not very common so no need to change schedules and flight rules, etc.

Reminding parents of their responsibility should be part of the FA's job, just as it is to stop serving intoxicated passengers or to handle any obnoxious jerk. Asking passengers (regardless of age) to respect others is reasonable, so kick them off (or threaten to do it), but don't punish the rest of us with kids when we want to travel in comfort by limiting our choices.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by crombiestone
Sorry Off topic
I didn't find QR NC headphones very comfortable and no my ears aren't particularly large

Bose QC25 price in UK £270 (including taxes ) Price in Japan £170 (tax free and BIC Camera 6% shop discount or £172 with 5% visa card discount ) . They are £225 in Doha Airport Duty Free.
Sorry off topic

Just bought a pair of QC 25's at Changi. Normally i wouldn't stump up that much for headphones but they are fantastic, the NC is very very very good.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Doug Walston
As a parent of kids who have flown transatlantic J many times without incident, I find this a terrible idea. It limits my choice as a paying customer because someone is afraid that someone else may not have control over their kids. I've been in J frequently on very long hauls and have seen a lot of well behaved kids of all ages. Frankly, this behavior is not very common so no need to change schedules and flight rules, etc.

Reminding parents of their responsibility should be part of the FA's job, just as it is to stop serving intoxicated passengers or to handle any obnoxious jerk. Asking passengers (regardless of age) to respect others is reasonable, so kick them off (or threaten to do it), but don't punish the rest of us with kids when we want to travel in comfort by limiting our choices.
Anyone can fly just about anywhere in a cabin, or even an entire plane, without children. The industry has made extraordinary advances in private jets.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.