Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sneaky change to 10-across B777

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by peterdudas
I am all for the slim seats in general, these are the result of advances in design and materials, not the airlines screwing you.

The legroom does look a lot. N1Rotate has mentioned the pitch would be one inch more than on the 787, plus we have the effect of the thinner seats in our favour.

BTW, is there a metric that us passengers would rather value over the misleading seat pitch? Due to the varying seat thickness (thinness?) of seats, we are comparing apples and pears.
I am thinking (seat pitch - seat thickness): we could call it pitchness, ha ha
http://cdn3.flight-report.com/photos/kTrPx0rZiG/sept%20(40).JPG
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:05 am

I am all for the slim seats in general, these are the result of advances in design and materials, not the airlines screwing you.

The legroom does look a lot. N1Rotate has mentioned the pitch would be one inch more than on the 787, plus we have the effect of the thinner seats in our favour.

BTW, is there a metric that us passengers would rather value over the misleading seat pitch? Due to the varying seat thickness (thinness?) of seats, we are comparing apples and pears.
I am thinking (seat pitch - seat thickness): we could call it pitchness, ha ha

Copy and paste that link. What part of this seat's legroom looks a lot to you? Looks horrid. I've not really got that much beef with the slimming of the seats but the legroom is a nonsense.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by wavery83

Copy and paste that link. What part of this seat's legroom looks a lot to you? Looks horrid. I've not really got that much beef with the slimming of the seats but the legroom is a nonsense.
Do you know how to tall the guy is? I know tall guys who's knees touch the forward seat at 34" seat pitch even, when today 32" is considered generous.

The seat pitch is exactly the same as the current 77W which is a minimum of 32", with even a little bit more legroom due to the seat being thinner than the previous seat around the knees. The row placement on the 3-3-3 and the 3-4-3 is exactly the same with rows running from row 10 to 43 on both with the exact same spacing.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Sep 4, 2015 at 10:21 am Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
Do you know how to tall the guy is? I know tall guys who's knees touch the forward seat at 34" seat pitch even, when today 32" is considered generous.

The seat pitch is exactly the same as the current 77W which is a minimum of 32", with even a little bit more legroom due to the seat being thinner than the previous seat around the knees. The row placement on the 3-3-3 and the 3-4-3 is exactly the same with rows running from row 10 to 43 on both with the exact same spacing.
Sure...I'm not denying the fact that QR is possibly more generous than the industry standard but shows how unbearable it is for anyone over 6ft! I certainly wouldn't say it looks like a lot of room!
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:40 am

That is a JAL 787 - photo from linked blog

Person on the left 6'1" person on the right 5'8", if I cropped out the person on the right someone would say the legroom is terrible, if I cropped out the person in the left someone might say legroom its amazing.

-

Next is the QR 787 at 31" seat pitch that people find a tight squeeze, look at how much legroom this guy has, economy on the 787 is amazing! (tongue in cheek/sarcasm: disclaimer in case I get skewered for saying this)

Same seat display this time with the tall Richard Quest. The 787 must be torture.

Basically what I am saying is that you can't judge legroom from a photo. I am just going by the facts which right now is the seat pitch metric, even though seat pitch isn't a great measure with varying seat depths.

Sure...I'm not denying the fact that QR is possibly more generous than the industry standard but shows how unbearable it is for anyone over 6ft! I certainly wouldn't say it looks like a lot of room!
Which major airline has a lot of room in economy where tall people enjoy being in economy?

Most airlines offer not more than 31" in economy and even this is reducing to around 30" in newer aircraft for example Air Canada has gone 30" on their 787. Short haul in Europe is commonly 28" to 30" even on mainline carriers (imagine 2-4 inches less"

Last edited by N1Rotate; Sep 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
N1Rotate said:
Next is the QR 787 at 31" seat pitch that people find a tight squeeze, look at how much legroom this guy has, economy on the 787 is amazing!

Whatever you might say: I have flown 500+ segments, 2x QR 787 in Y, a torture, worst flights ever. And is was not the legroom, I even was lucky enough to have 3 seats to myself, that saved the trip somewhat (lying down iso sitting).

2x QR A380 and 3x 787 in J, best flights ever, 1 QR A380 Y, excellent, better than the good ??? segments I had on 747 (200+ TATL's)

And I flew a few EY 777/300ER in their 3/4/3, no more of this please.

Next week travel will be QR A380 and 787 in J, no doubt it will be a very nice trip, but I will avoid 787 in Y whenever possible. Note I switched to QR precisely to enjoy J on A380 and B787.

Last edited by tartempion; Sep 4, 2015 at 2:42 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by tartempion
N1Rotate said:
Next is the QR 787 at 31" seat pitch that people find a tight squeeze, look at how much legroom this guy has, economy on the 787 is amazing!

Whatever you might say: I have flown 500+ segments, 2x QR 787 in Y, a torture, worst flights ever. And is was not the legroom, I even was lucky enough to have 3 seats to myself, that saved the trip somewhat (lying down iso sitting).

2x QR A380 and 3x 787 in J, best flights ever, 1 QR A380 Y, excellent, better than the good ??? segments I had on 747 (200+ TATL's)

And I flew a few EY 777/300ER in their 3/4/3, no more of this please.

Next week travel will be QR A380 and 787 in J, no doubt it will be a very nice trip, but I will avoid 787 in Y whenever possible. Note I switched to QR precisely to enjoy J on A380 and B787.
I suggest you re-read my post to get my jest (hint: that comment was sarcastic and it was not about the QR 787 rather than an explanation of my point that you can't judge a seat by a photo of someone's knees - a short person can make the tightest seats look roomy while a taller person can make the spacious seats look tight). BTW EY has 31" seat pitch on their 77W, QR has 32"+ so should be a little more room to stretch out, width is tighter than 3-3-3 of course.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Old Sep 5, 2015, 5:20 am

N1 - I believe we have built up a decent rapport now so I'm gauging the sarcasm I think .

I meant to add any airline to my post. Economy full stop is unbearable but perhaps my analysis is all wrong. I look back to the good old days but those good old days are when I was a ft shorter so things have only gotten marginally worse! I'm not criticising QR but not complimenting them either. They look no worse and no better and I can't cite an airline that does this better. I have mentioned before the old AA 777s. Early 2000s. And Oman air A330? Supposedly 34"?

The Richard Quest photo is hilarious. I think he might be as tall as me but also a tad wider - must be hell for that guy!

Thanks for pointing out the JAL pic though. Lolz.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: OWS, *A G
I meant to add any airline to my post. Economy full stop is unbearable but perhaps my analysis is all wrong.
I am 6' and a bit and barely find the legroom a problem. Surely prefer my recliner armchair at home, but I clearly can't bring that along when I travel
I could choose the whinge all day long about personal space, jumping over others to visit the lav, eating the rubbish plane food being uncomfortable; but then do I want to make my life miserable?

I haven't flown QR's A380 but I have very distinct visual memories of EK's A380 feeling extremely spacious in Y. I assume this largely has to do with the shape of the airframe, the overhead lockers and the lighting.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:03 am

May I just throw in an observation that I have made. It is not your overall height that is important when it comes to the seat pitch i.e. if you bump into the seat in front of you.

I have seen people of the same height. But with a different length of legs. And as your upper leg is almost horizontal when sitting, it is (as far as my observation goes) the important part that decides how good leg room is.

An inch in difference might not look much, but, it can be difference between having your knee in the seat in front of you. Or not.

Therefore two people with the exact same size might have a very different experience.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:17 am

I am 6' and a bit and barely find the legroom a problem. Surely prefer my recliner armchair at home, but I clearly can't bring that along when I travel
I could choose the whinge all day long about personal space, jumping over others to visit the lav, eating the rubbish plane food being uncomfortable; but then do I want to make my life miserable?

I haven't flown QR's A380 but I have very distinct visual memories of EK's A380 feeling extremely spacious in Y. I assume this largely has to do with the shape of the airframe, the overhead lockers and the lighting.
Peter - I am v. impressed with your positivity! Maybe my legs are abnormal and my glass is half empty. But it is nice to hear positive experiences. I have yet to fly the new models of aircraft so looking forward to that.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I'll be on HAN-BKK tomorrow and could investigate further. Please let me know if I should make the trek to the back. Roni's photos seem quite good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.