Search

Bad first impression

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Bad first impression

In May, I bonked a HKG-CDG ticket in J for me and wifey.
Flight in September was on A380 and assigned two nice seats. In June I noticed that the plane was changed to a A333 with antique seats. Furthermore, we were assigned seats in two different cabins. Website kept bugging so I called and got changed to adjacent seats. Early July, plane was changed to a 777 with 4 rows. Again seats in two different rows. I called and was offered row 4 which looks very bad with galley so I insisted that I did not want those seats and that we would trade in the plane. The agent confirmed. A few days later I saw that we were assigned seats in row 4. Last week I noticed that the plane was changed again to a 777 with 7 rows. This time I could get better seats on the website. I pray for no more changes.

I am waiting for the next change and more time lost to assign reasonable seats.
QR might be good in the air, but time-consuming and unpleasant first impression.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I understand your frustration and annoyance.

My first QR flight was changed from an A380 to an A333 from CDG to BKK, which was quite a disappointment, but at least they kept the two of us together!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by brunos
Flight in September was on A380 and assigned two nice seats. In June I noticed that the plane was changed to a A333 with antique seats. Furthermore, we were assigned seats in two different cabins. Website kept bugging so I called and got changed to adjacent seats. Early July, plane was changed to a 777 with 4 rows. Again seats in two different rows. I called and was offered row 4 which looks very bad with galley so I insisted that I did not want those seats and that we would trade in the plane. The agent confirmed. A few days later I saw that we were assigned seats in row 4. Last week I noticed that the plane was changed again to a 777 with 7 rows. This time I could get better seats on the website. I pray for no more changes.

I am waiting for the next change and more time lost to assign reasonable seats.
QR might be good in the air, but time-consuming and unpleasant first impression.
You know it's not 7 rows but 4+3 (two cabins)? I found the 777 delightful. I would agree that row 4 and 1 would be too close to the galley so really 2+3 are the best options.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by wavery83
You know it's not 7 rows but 4+3 (two cabins)? I found the 777 delightful. I would agree that row 4 and 1 would be too close to the galley so really 2+3 are the best options.
what about row 6?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:37 pm

There's another FT thread on this. Back row (3) is a lottery as is is generally quieter and less traffic but you could be unlucky be close to economy pa using the bassinet facility.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by brunos

Bad first impression indeed! Wasn't wifey upset?

Back on topic, I've had three QR J 777 flights this month - all in row 4 (two 4E, one 4F). Absolutely no complaints at all about galley noise.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
I very much prefer the 777 also which used to take us from JNB-DOH and DOH-MAD. Now, we get the 787 for both sectors. I would not mind flying the 777 again and you may not believe this, everytime on the 777 I chose Row 4 (on the side) for both of us. There is nothing wrong with it. I prefer that there is no window immediately next to my window seat as it feels very cosy that way. If I want to look out of the window, there are 2 or 3 more in front. I never find the proximity to the galley to be noisy.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:41 am

Fair enough to the folks backing row 4. I haven't been there but row 1 middle have to be the worst. Certainly on the a330. Guessing it's more disruptive up front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.