Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar and their ridiculous lack of communication

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR

Why is it when Qatar changes the details of a flight they don't inform their passengers?

On two occasions before this Qatar has changed the schedule of one of our flights. This change is normally insignificant i.e. it changes a departure time from 19:00 to 19:05. However what does irritate me is that it resets all your seat choices for that leg.

We are departing in about 8 weeks to Europe and I checked our flight out of curiosity. The flight had changed and all our choices had been reset. On trying to reallocate my seat I discovered that the cabin is now full. We now have to sit in the two remaining seats in the cabin, on opposite sides of the aircraft. Highly highly unacceptable, when our original choice was perfect.

Compare this to my upcoming Emirates flight in December that was also slightly altered today. They sent me an email informing me of the change. Such a small yet major thing.

Wake up Qatar
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:42 pm
Suspended

hmm, that's odd, I recently got an email for a schedule change on one of my flights

check your junk email?
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:03 pm

Changes ntification

Easiest way to ensure you are notified of any changes to your flights is to download the "Myflights" app which automatically warns you of any changes to your upcoming flights no matter how insignificant . Great little app.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by SAtraveller
On trying to reallocate my seat I discovered that the cabin is now full. We now have to sit in the two remaining seats in the cabin, on opposite sides of the aircraft. Highly highly unacceptable, when our original choice was perfect.
You still have a chance to get better seats at check-in : QR online check-in is supposed to be opened 36h before your first flight but the last time I did it, 1 month ago, it was opened 48h before and all previous blocked seats were opened (I don't know if it had something to do with my new Gold status or just a normal thing for everybody) : exit rows and, depending on aircraft model, the last 3 rows of the plane (which where blocked in case they need to carry a wounded person on a stretcher). So just set a reminder 48h prior to your flight and be the first to check-in to get the best seats !
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Matt4
You still have a chance to get better seats at check-in : QR online check-in is supposed to be opened 36h before your first flight but the last time I did it, 1 month ago, it was opened 48h before and all previous blocked seats were opened (I don't know if it had something to do with my new Gold status or just a normal thing for everybody) : exit rows and, depending on aircraft model, the last 3 rows of the plane (which where blocked in case they need to carry a wounded person on a stretcher). So just set a reminder 48h prior to your flight and be the first to check-in to get the best seats !
Why would the last rows of the aircraft be desirable? So close to either the galley or the bathrooms...? Am I missing something?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Originally Posted by mpkz
hmm, that's odd, I recently got an email for a schedule change on one of my flights

check your junk email?
Thanks mpkz... I have checked my Junk mail and there is nothing there. This has been a recurring problem for me.

Originally Posted by Ronel
Easiest way to ensure you are notified of any changes to your flights is to download the "Myflights" app which automatically warns you of any changes to your upcoming flights no matter how insignificant . Great little app.
Thanks Ronel, I'm going to look into the app!

Originally Posted by Matt4
Thanks Matt4... we are lucky enough to be flying business class. When we originally booked our seats we were in 2A and 3A (787 layout) but after this mess we are in 3A and 4K. The route is apparently very popular.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Miami305
Why would the last rows of the aircraft be desirable? So close to either the galley or the bathrooms...? Am I missing something?
Most likely to get an empty seat next to you, or even a row to yourself.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Hi SAtraveller!

In my experience, calling your nearest QR office would probably help you out with matters at this "level". I did so with a couple of issues last week, and it was all solved within minutes. They are realy improving!😊

On my last two cases of changes in dep.times, i have also been duly noticed by email. So when calling, raise the issue and ask them to check out you emailadress.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by ft101
Most likely to get an empty seat next to you, or even a row to yourself.
Drat! i wish you'd kept quiet about that little trick
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:54 am

Another vote for the my flights app. Informs you quicker than the airlines 100% of the time (when the airlines bother to inform you at all it seems!).

It will also alert you for things like aircraft swaps and seats being changed, stuff that you would never get a notification from the airline for.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Why is it when Qatar changes the details of a flight they don't inform their passengers?

On two occasions before this Qatar has changed the schedule of one of our flights. This change is normally insignificant i.e. it changes a departure time from 19:00 to 19:05. However what does irritate me is that it resets all your seat choices for that leg.

We are departing in about 8 weeks to Europe and I checked our flight out of curiosity. The flight had changed and all our choices had been reset. On trying to reallocate my seat I discovered that the cabin is now full. We now have to sit in the two remaining seats in the cabin, on opposite sides of the aircraft. Highly highly unacceptable, when our original choice was perfect.

Compare this to my upcoming Emirates flight in December that was also slightly altered today. They sent me an email informing me of the change. Such a small yet major thing.

Wake up Qatar
Had this happen recently. Have a flight reservation a couple of months out and was checking out the reservations online again only to find out that the aircraft has changed. Was randomly assigned two seats that were apart (even though the aircraft is empty). No email from QR. Not sure how the seat assignment algorithm works.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It seems that the lack of notification is origin based. South Africa it appears that they never advise of time changes (as I have discovered on numerous flights originating from South Africa). Yet others who booked from say the UK, Scandinavia, France etc do seem to get advised. Someone mentioned it was the responsibility of the office in the origin country to make the notification....
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Armodeen
Another vote for the my flights app.
Thank you Just to say for anyone that hasn't been able to use My Flights App due to not being on an Apple device, you can now sign up and use the web version if you want at https://myaccount.myflightsapp.com
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: PC(QR), IB, CX Marco Polo, SAA Voyager
Fully agree that QR does not inform us of changes at all. We are based in Johannesburg and whether this is the reason, I do not know. Having read in Flyertalk about Checkmytrip.com, we gave it a try and have never looked back. Register on that website and everytime you have a new trip, add it on. It will send you an e-mail if there is any change.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by BlueEgg
Fully agree that QR does not inform us of changes at all. We are based in Johannesburg and whether this is the reason, I do not know. Having read in Flyertalk about Checkmytrip.com, we gave it a try and have never looked back. Register on that website and everytime you have a new trip, add it on. It will send you an e-mail if there is any change.
Check my trip tells you about changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.