Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar airways pnh to cdg what is the best way to upgrade ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Hey so i have a flight in 15 days or so and i really want to be in business class.
I have two different options : using a complicated qmiles transfer or trying to buy one at the check in counter... But i m not sure if they let that happen much. If it can help im a silver privilege club member, and hit the status just a week ago...
If you have any advice, let me know please !

Thanks
PS im not sure if this topic is in the right place in the forum, im new sorry about that

Last edited by cporte; Jul 20, 2015 at 11:28 pm Reason: Adding ps
Old Jul 21, 2015, 12:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moving to Qatar Airways forum.

NewbieRunner
Co-Moderator, CommunityBuzz
Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:11 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Hello cporte and welcome to FlyerTalk!

As far as I know, they don't let you pay for upgrades at the counter. However, at many airports you can upgrade at the counter if you have miles with QR. Last I checked, those were only one-segment upgrades though (not sure how it is handled at PNH since it is a tag-on)

Alternatively you can request an upgrade beforehand (again with QMiles), but success is not guaranteed there, even if the business class cabin is almost empty.

Lastly, there are sometimes upgrade offers sent by email a few days before the flight. If you are lucky, you will get one of those and can pay for it then. And if you are one of those really really very lucky people, you get an opup. But don't count on it

So if you REALLY want to be in business class, your safest bet would obviously be to change the ticket to a business class ticket.. Depending on the route and availability, you might even get away cheaper than when paying for an upgrade via mail-offer.
If you want to go the miles route, be sure to check beforehand if an upgrade is even available for the whole route (call them for that). Would be a pity if you paid for a miles transfer (i think you have to pay with QR?) and then the upgrade didn't go through..
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zehbra
Hello cporte and welcome to FlyerTalk!

As far as I know, they don't let you pay for upgrades at the counter. However, at many airports you can upgrade at the counter if you have miles with QR. Last I checked, those were only one-segment upgrades though (not sure how it is handled at PNH since it is a tag-on)

Alternatively you can request an upgrade beforehand (again with QMiles), but success is not guaranteed there, even if the business class cabin is almost empty.

Lastly, there are sometimes upgrade offers sent by email a few days before the flight. If you are lucky, you will get one of those and can pay for it then. And if you are one of those really really very lucky people, you get an opup. But don't count on it

So if you REALLY want to be in business class, your safest bet would obviously be to change the ticket to a business class ticket.. Depending on the route and availability, you might even get away cheaper than when paying for an upgrade via mail-offer.
If you want to go the miles route, be sure to check beforehand if an upgrade is even available for the whole route (call them for that). Would be a pity if you paid for a miles transfer (i think you have to pay with QR?) and then the upgrade didn't go through..
Ok thank you for answering !
The best solution is to transfer the qmiles to my account and then wait at the counter ?

I checked with the company i bought tickets from and the upgrade is 1500€ so not worth it i Think.
According to expertflyer there still are many seats available in business class so i think id better wait.
Also i have one last option, not very honest though : i have crutches and maybe i could arrive with it and they probably would treat me differently? With airasia i had better seat and offered a wheelchair lol
Old Jul 21, 2015, 5:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by cporte
Also i have one last option, not very honest though : i have crutches and maybe i could arrive with it and they probably would treat me differently?
Almost certainly not. You may well risk being offloaded from the flight if you claim that due to your condition you cannot travel in economy. Or depending on your condition they may require confirmation from a doctor that you are fit to travel.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
Almost certainly not. You may well risk being offloaded from the flight if you claim that due to your condition you cannot travel in economy. Or depending on your condition they may require confirmation from a doctor that you are fit to travel.
Ahah it was more of a joke, I probably wouldn't have dared anyway when flying air asia I actually really needed the crutches
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:18 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by cporte
Ok thank you for answering !
The best solution is to transfer the qmiles to my account and then wait at the counter ?
It would definitely be worth trying to upgrade beforehand, rather than at the counter. If that doesn't work, you can still try at the counter.
The problem with upgrading at the counter is that it is only for one segment (last i checked), not for the whole itinerary. I don't know how this is handled in PNH, or if it is at all possible (does just the stretch PNH-DOH count? or do they split it as PNH-SGN-DOH?). Not all airports allow upgrading at the counter, so there's more risk still.

Maybe someone on here has experience on this particular route.

Also to note: IF it is possible to upgrade at PNH, you could of course also upgrade the next segment once you arrive at DOH, too. However, in total this will cost you more miles than an upgrade prior to your flight for the whole route.
I never succeeded in getting an upgrade for the whole route though.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Sorry, but you won't be able to upgrade at the airport in PNH. There is one QR floating Angel only, but the check in is done by Cambodian Airport team, not QR staff. If you are in PNH, I would suggest going to the QR office in PNH located in the newest tall building on Manivong if you have time. Face to face is always better than by phone, here. However, be also prepared for a polite smiling negative, as well as polite smiling positive if at all possible. But they could possibly help with complicated q-miles transfer - but not at the airport for sure, for q miles. Enjoy PNH by the way, i do...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zehbra
does just the stretch PNH-DOH count? or do they split it as PNH-SGN-DOH?
I know that even though the plane stops at pnh it is considered as one route !
What a mess to upgrade... And I dont want to waste my time in holidays ahah
So business will probably be for next time... Thanks very much for the help !!
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AVIATORPJ
Sorry, but you won't be able to upgrade at the airport in PNH. There is one QR floating Angel only, but the check in is done by Cambodian Airport team, not QR staff. If you are in PNH, I would suggest going to the QR office in PNH located in the newest tall building on Manivong if you have time. Face to face is always better than by phone, here. However, be also prepared for a polite smiling negative, as well as polite smiling positive if at all possible. But they could possibly help with complicated q-miles transfer - but not at the airport for sure, for q miles. Enjoy PNH by the way, i do...
Hello !
Ok yeah i thought of going to the office but such a struggle... I wish i had booked with qatar airways directly it probably would have been simpler... Thank you for the advice, if i have time i will try to go to their office
Yes phnom penh is amazing!
Thank you
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by AVIATORPJ
Clearly, you have personal experience of PNH and I have absolutely zilch, but the QR website does say this service is now available at PNH (and it has been regularly updated when new airports are included in the scheme).
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Yay i got upgraded for cheaper price ! Thanks for your help and i will enjoy business class
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by railways
Clearly, you have personal experience of PNH and I have absolutely zilch, but the QR website does say this service is now available at PNH (and it has been regularly updated when new airports are included in the scheme).
Thank you for pointing this out. Am very pleased to be corrected...wow. ^
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:31 am

Hi everyone,

I think a better way to upgrade now, instead of calling Privilege Club, is to use British Airway's website to check for award flights and award upgrades. As both airlines are members of oneworld, all you have to do is type in the DOH to CDG sector and it will tell you if any business or first class award tickets are available.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by bahrainiflyer
Hi everyone,

I think a better way to upgrade now, instead of calling Privilege Club, is to use British Airway's website to check for award flights and award upgrades. As both airlines are members of oneworld, all you have to do is type in the DOH to CDG sector and it will tell you if any business or first class award tickets are available.
Hi bahrainflyer. I'm not a member of BA. Tried yyur advice on the BA website and I couldn't find Cambodia as a pull down country on any menu. If you have a BA website link that shows Cambodia, appreciate if you could share it.. Tks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.