Validity of Qatar's 5 star rating?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:17 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Validity of Qatar's 5 star rating?

Good Evening All,

Apologies if this has been discussed previously or is another thread, however I would love to know what is the validity to Qatar's 5 star rating? I understand this rating has been given to them by Skytrax, but I struggle to understand how Qatar Airways is a 5 star airline?

Furthermore, Skytrax has recently awarded Qatar the No.1 airline in the world - based on what?

How is Qatar Airways superior to other airlines to be granted 5 star status and the No.1 rating?

Is it based on fleet? Because their fleet size, quality and variety is nothing compared to other airlines such as Emirates, Etihad, Singapore Airlines etc.

Is it based on their cabin? Because once again, does anyone here rate their first class seats to be as good as Emirates suites, Singapore Suites, Etihad Apartments OR suites?

Is it based on their business class seats? Because surely once again, their business class hard product isn't better than Singapore Air or Etihad's business studios?

Is it based on service? Because in my experience on Qatar Airways, as well as stories I have heard, never have I heard that their service is great.

Is it their airport? The same airport that was opened two years late? That still doesn't have a first class lounge open?

So maybe I'm out of line here - but I'd love someone to enlighten me as to how and why this airline is so "great"?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Skytrax's awards are based on surveys which have an unknown configuration and weighting for each section/question.
More discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ne-awards.html
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:24 am

Is based on user voting. I personally have flown several airlines and have loved QR the most.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:43 pm

Can't comment on any other Business product apart from BA Club World but I would say a little unfair...I'm also not in the position to comment on F other than accidentally passing it on the way to the wrong toilet on the A340. That really looked nothing special.

-Singapore, CX are already in the 5* ranking so have the same status.
- You comment on the variety of the other airline seating and I would agree that the Qatar fleet is very inconsistent. The A340 is horrid but I was amazed at how spacious the 777 was - couldn't fault it. That's if you're a couple.
- Ethiad's fleet looks very consistent so thumbs up to them.
- Apart from the A380, the Emirates fleets looks horrid. I've been so close to booking them because of their rep but put off everytime I look at that horrid fake wood panelling and 2-3-2 arrangement.
- Singapore look great.
- Yes the new airport is a disaster!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Well, it's all about opinions isn't it...

Not everyone likes the EK bling & as mentioned by wavery83 EK use a 2-3-2 layout in J which QR have never done (nor 3-4-3 in B777 economy for that matter). Not sure what variety in their fleet of aircraft has to do with how good they are.

Suites in F aren't to everyones taste & every airline has older & newer versions of their product.

Eithad have very mixed reviews wrt both their hard & soft products, as do CX.

Can't comment on Singapore airlines but agree they're reported as consistently good.

As you've probably guessed I like flying with QR. Over the past 10 years they haven't been perfect but have been very good, even on the ground & when problems have arisen (yes really!). The new airport is quite good, not as good as HKIA or Changi but certainly not a disaster.

Overall, based on my experiences with them, adding in things like Premium passenger experience not being diluted by overcrowded lounges full of Y pax plus guests & dining on demand onboard in J, I believe they're up with the best. That's my opinion of course, but that's what surveys are based on; passenger opinions. More passengers voted for QR than the others, probably based on their experiences compared to the others.

YMMV.

Last edited by impeymac; Jun 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by HB7
Furthermore, Skytrax has recently awarded Qatar the No.1 airline in the world - based on what?
Based on survey. Skytrax publishes the categories (41 in total) but didn't publish the weighting so one should take the term 'best' as relative - what Skytrax thinks is important maybe not be important to you at all. For example: I don't fully understand people's fascination with QR serving Krug in Al Mourjan (and how it is big news that they're going to remove it soon)

Originally Posted by HB7
Is it based on their cabin? Because once again, does anyone here rate their first class seats to be as good as Emirates suites, Singapore Suites, Etihad Apartments OR suites?
No and neither did Skytrax. If you actually look at the ratings (instead of just the headlines), you'll see that for first class seats QR is #6 behind SQ, EY, EK, NH and JL. So Skytrax agrees with you in that the 3 airlines you mentioned above are ahead of QR.

Originally Posted by HB7
Is it based on their business class seats? Because surely once again, their business class hard product isn't better than Singapore Air or Etihad's business studios?
For business class seats QR did come up on top. SQ #3 and EY #9.

IMO yes, QR J seats on A359/B787 is better than SQ or EY. Why? I like QR zodiac reverse herringbone. I also like that the cabin feels 'open' - no centre overhead bins and lower seat partition gives a more spacious feel. I'm not a fan of SQ leather seats or EY sogerma seats format.

As with all survey, it is subjective. I'm sure there are millions here on FT who would disagree with me and prefer stuffs like leather seats or a 'private' cabin feel (hmm, so they can do what I wonder? ).

Originally Posted by HB7
Is it based on service? Because in my experience on Qatar Airways, as well as stories I have heard, never have I heard that their service is great.
Once again, it is all subjective. Different airlines are different - SQ and CX take totally different approach when it comes to F cabin service and some folks prefer one over the other. Some may prefer EY approach while other didn't like the fact that it ran out of food quite frequently (or so the story goes).

Originally Posted by HB7
Is it their airport? The same airport that was opened two years late? That still doesn't have a first class lounge open?
Skytrax has a separate award for airports. DOH is #22, AUH is #29 while DXB is #39. Those who had to go through pre-clearance at AUH may wonder whether AUH should really be ahead of DXB with it's massive F lounge.

As for the lounges themselves, some may prefer the more 'egalitarian' approach where Y passengers (with status) can enter all lounges while others may prefer QR (SQ, LH, BA, etc.) approach of creating separate lounges for true J and/or F passengers. And as mentioned above, some also like the fact that QR serves Krug in J lounge. There's no right or wrong answer - just preference.

So yeah, not everyone will agree with Skytrax (I mean Jetstar Asia ahead of Brussels airlines?? really?? I love their beer and the Neuhaus chocolate gift!) but at the end of the day that's what their survey said. And let's not forget, they surveyed 18+ million passengers and I think majority of them are not on FT.

As for myself, well, almost all my long-haul flights are on either CX or QR so I would like to think I made the right call as CX was #1 last year And for full disclosure no, I didn't participate in any Skytrax survey.

Last edited by Rivarix; Jun 22, 2015 at 8:20 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:26 am

Haha. I like the Krug comment! I don't get that either but, as you say, subjective. I meant surely you don't fly around the world to be served Krug by a 'dry' country? I'm guessing it's the feeling of special?

It is entirely subjective which is why it makes the choice really hard. My priorities will be different from others including my wife:

1. A decent seat that goes to a flat bed. I didn't mention BA CW but I felt their seat was actually pretty decent (they are the pioneers though!). Food was terrible though!
2. Spaciousness and exclusiveness of cabin overall. The A380s (especially the wonderful Emirates) have put my off because the Business cabin is so vast! This is bound to impact service and make you feel a little less special. That's why I loved QR 777....4 aisles and huge space between seats. BA is clever but it's a none sense to be staring at your fellow pax and then having to climb over another.
3. Aircraft type. QR have some really exciting planes.
4. Transfer facility. This is a huge factor actually. Now HIA is not a disaster - that is an exaggeration. But it wasn't pleasant...very crowded, poor signage and this so called luxurious lounge was anything new but a sanctuary. That is a huge negative to QR in my book.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:06 am
R2

I don't know the background, nor am I familiar with Skytrax or similar surveys but I always thought the line 'The world's five star airline' was just a brand tag line i.e something that summarised what (the brand) Qatar airways aspires to deliver. I personally think it is one of the better ones in the airline business. A few others that come to mind:

BA - the world's favourite airline
Emirates - Hello tomorrow
Lufthansa - Nonstop you
SQ - The Singapore girl
Qantas - Spirit of Australia
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
As a person who pays for their own flight . Value for money is high on my agenda and as such , of the ME 3 , I have only had the chance to appreciate Qatar as a J passenger ( Well CAI-DOH is classed as first ) .

I thought the whole Qatar J experience was excellent . Paticularly the A380 . The lounge at DOH is a bit impersonal but I found nothing to really moan about.

Would I try EK or EY in J ? Hell yes but when I search the same fares for my trip they are usually twice the price of QR despite EK's massive use of A380 aircraft . Maybe that's because I fly from CAI and QR fares are good ? Or Maybe the others are just too expensive ?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:50 am

I do love the flexibility of anytime dining on QR. it serves me very well especially if I have very good meal just prior to departure and just want to sleep in before dining. Provision of amenity kit and pajamas for business are great, SQ and CX do not provide them, especy pajamas.

Food wise, they have very good playing although I prefer SQ food with its variety. Slightly better than QR though subjective.

QR lounge selection is very poorly designed. CX wins me over with its variety of lounges at its home hub. Expect QR to do much better but this is one area which it has disappointed me.

Price wise, ex Asia, QR beats all for their promotional fares. I think value for money, that's where QR wins for all categories.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tboons
QR lounge selection is very poorly designed. CX wins me over with its variety of lounges at its home hub. Expect QR to do much better but this is one area which it has disappointed me.

Price wise, ex Asia, QR beats all for their promotional fares. I think value for money, that's where QR wins for all categories.
Yes, there are some long walks at the moment in HIA! Weren't there supposed to be additional lounges opening near D & E piers? Haven't heard anything about that in a while.

Agree about QR fares though, affordability Vs standard of product is an important point.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:54 am

impeymac,

Yes there will be more lounges at the North Node and 100 more hotel rooms. Expected by the end of next year. Plus the automated people mover trains have already started their test runs, they will take you from the main Duty Free/Lounges area to the North Node.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:17 am

Exactly. The Delta CEO has a point but what choice do we have when the commercial airlines charge often double for an inferior product? That's state subsidies for you! All part of the ME publicity drive
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by N1Rotate
impeymac,

Yes there will be more lounges at the North Node and 100 more hotel rooms. Expected by the end of next year. Plus the automated people mover trains have already started their test runs, they will take you from the main Duty Free/Lounges area to the North Node.
I wonder just how much testing is necessary ? They've been testing since March
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I am a FT but in the past 12 months only flown about six different airlines - mainly BA and QR. The latter were by far the best so they got my vote on the Skytrax survey.

As several posters have mentioned everyone has their own criteria. Not every QR J flight I have flown has a fully flat bed, but that is not my number one priority, the F&B offereing and good IFE is more important to me - I do appreciate the Krug, five course in-flight meal, excellent lounge dinning at LHR and DOH and dine on demand offerred by QR - that's why QR beats BA for my Skytrax vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.