Have Qatar Airways standards dropped?

Old May 13, 2015, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Have Qatar Airways standards dropped?

I have been using QR on and off for about six years and prefer them to travel from LHR to DOH/DXB over other airlines.

I am trying to convince myself that they are still five star (more than just a label) but can not help but feel that their standards have dropped.

Customer service on the phone seems to be virtually non existent compared to some years ago.

The cabin crew, whilst smiling, appear to do the bare minimum to retain a five star service. I remember the days when they used to give a genuine welcome back greeting at the aircraft door, or be pleased to see you at the gate.

The meal service (in economy rather than other classes as I only travelled business twice this year), is slap dash with the card menu (which I think is always a nice touch) has been removed for a quick screen menu. The place setting has also disappeared, probably under the banner of sustainability.

These are small things, but are they losing touch? Any thoughts?
Old May 13, 2015, 5:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by eastflyer123
The cabin crew, whilst smiling, appear to do the bare minimum to retain a five star service. I remember the days when they used to give a genuine welcome back greeting at the aircraft door, or be pleased to see you at the gate.
It depends. I've had outstanding crews on recent flights, I had nonexistent crews on recent flights.
Rather consistently I've been welcomed with a "welcome back" when looking at my BP and seeing the FF number. They also used to say the name, that they've dropped..

On recent Y flights I also noticed that the candy-and-wet-tissues handout in the beginning was reduced to a wet-tissue handout. On the other hand they started snack runs with Twix/Mars/Chips (Crisps.)

So, in the end.. not so sure I'm entirely bothered by the "downfall in quality" .. there seem to be positives as well as negatives.

Agree on the food though, that has gone down a bit.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have only travelled Business class on Qatar so I can not comment on Economy.

I think over the years the quality and service has gotten better. Always been welcomed by last name. Crew is taking more time to chit-chat and even offer wine and champagne from the inbound Doha flights if they have them available.

Food has gotten better. It is still on demand and they proactively ask you if you would like a snack during the flight. Food seems a lot fresher and hold better quality than 2014.

Only complaint is that the coffee has always been bad and I wish they had soy milk or lactose free milk onboard.

Last edited by DreamTrip; May 13, 2015 at 8:55 am
Old May 13, 2015, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by DreamTrip
I have only travelled Business class on Qatar so I can not comment on Economy.

I think over the years the quality and service has gotten better. Always been welcomed by last name. Crew is taking more time to chit-chat and even offer wine and champagne from the inbound Doha flights if they have them available.

Food has gotten better. It is still on demand and they proactively ask you if you would like a snack during the flight. Food seems a lot fresher and hold better quality than 2014.
I would agree. Whilst some of the planes from LHR -> DOH are quite old, the service on board is the best I've ever received in J and the food is superb in both the lounges and on board.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: The Embassy
I feel like the food is getting worse, and the staff in lounges are getting surlier.

Probably has something to do with a lack of things to compare to - in the last year I've (almost) only flown long-haul in J or F on QR; one exception was J on Turkish, where the food was really special. Flying (very) long-haul on JAL in a few weeks, so I guess that will give a comparison point.

Suspect it's very easy to be fooled in to thinking things are getting worse when the service is normally such a high standard, and you only notice when things slip below. The odd stale bread roll from time to time is almost certainly not worth complaining about. If you have very high expectations, they can probably only be disappointed - I'm not quite sure what I'm expecting from Al-Safwa, but I'm not sure what they could do to make it the requisite step up from Al-Mourjan.
Old May 13, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
I flew QR in J last Dec. Crew was excellent. Special meals were outstanding.

repeating trip in Feb. Trying to incorporate A380 F ......hope it is even better .
Old May 14, 2015, 1:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
The odd stale bread roll from time to time is almost certainly not worth complaining about.
Now that you mention it....

I remember my first few J flights with QR about 2 years ago where the bread was generally outstanding (especially ex ZRH). THIS has definitely slipped a bit, haven't had any "good" bread baskets over the last 10 flights or so. But I'm really picky about bread
Old May 14, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
QR offers an excellent J product but over the years there has been a slip in standard. My observations are:

* no slippers in J
* poorer quality socks and eye masks
* no mattress pad on the 787 or A380
* the Al Moujarn lounge no where near as good as the premium terminal. When you enter, the area to the right stinks of smoke, tables are always unavailable, food from the menu takes forever to be served, seats much less comfortable, long queues for the showers
* service inflight is hit and miss. From the last 4 flights, 2 were excellent, one good, and one average.
* 5 out of my last 8 flights on NBO DOH route have had no individual in flight entertainment

However when compared to BA, KL, SA, KQ, EK I feel they are still better.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: NEXUS, UA Club
How would you compare QR J to TK J? I've flown TK but not QR and am considering flying QR PHL-DOH-BOM.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Only complaint I had with TK was that LHR IST doesn't constitute long haul, and ended up with an economy seat in J with the middle seat blocked out. Food was better than QR, lounge is very good in IST and seats on the long haul sector were excellent on plane I was on.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chiro1979
How would you compare QR J to TK J? I've flown TK but not QR and am considering flying QR PHL-DOH-BOM.
TK offers a far better standard of catering and more comfortable seating (in Business - I have not flown Economy on either carrier); some TK crews can be a little standoffish, but I have also experienced excellent crews.

QR's catering has DEFINITELY deteriorated, both in quantity as well as quality. Many of the female crew members, especially the man East European ones, appear to be disinterested.

BUT, QR goes to more places that I need to go to, hence I keep flying them - although I would much rather fly QR.

PS. While I have personally not experienced any problem, my gut feeling is that QR cockpit crews are better than TK ones.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:08 am

For what it's worth as a leisure traveller:

Flew for the first time in Business with the wife on honeymoon from LHR to BKK and return from Phuket. Observations as follows:

I don't think it can get any better than the business class lounge at LHR. Truly outstanding! Quiet, very personal service, great delhi. Just perfect!
The all business jet is such a w**ly waving jet. 8 rows and 1/3 full but it was excellent! Again very personal service and we had a turn down service for the only time for all legs. Wife observed that the new seats are a bit narrow but I liked it.
The 777 was my favourite. Nice 4 row cabin and very, very spacious. Slept perfectly.
The A340 is horrid. Really cramped and badly in need of updating. We have subsequently flown with BA on a 747 and it is the worst cabin of the lot in my opinion.
I thought the food was really good and staff excellent.
The lounge at Doha is bitterly, bitterly disappointing. Overcrowded, queues for ladies and men's toilets. The only quiet area when we went looked like it was male only but may well be wrong? It was more like a work canteen than a 5* business lounge.

I booked knowing the new airport wouldn't be a touch on the old but wonder whether things have improved? Definitely a major factor in deciding who to 'business' with next.

All that said - on a like for like route I would chose QR over BA for the service, LHR lounge (wow!) and food. We couldn't believe the food BA were trying to serve as Club World! But we're not comparing the same apples? I believe Turkish are the ones to watch though I'd love to try and fly with Oman.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: QR Plat
I've flown them regularly between Europe, East Africa and Asia for a good few years, and my thougts are:

* Catering has gone to he||, especially ex-DOH.

* Newer planes are more comfy, I love the 1-2-1 of the Dreamliner.

* The new airport is a nice "big airport", but I miss the old Premium Terminal.

* The new lounge in DOH is a zoo, the catering is two steps down from the PT.

* Customer service, as odd as it may sound, is slightly improving. I see less disempowerment of line employees.

* Cabin crews are generally good, but they used to be excellent. Now it's either a really good crew, or it's a really detached crew. Oddly enough, I've had a 6 month streak of meeting up crew I recognize from earlier flights.

* The plonk is very decent onboard, and most has been.

* There appears to be no mandatory flogging of people causing a smoking stink in half the new lounge.

* The website is fairly decent, but I wish for better apps for phones, integration with Passbook.

-A
Old May 20, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TinDrum
TK offers a far better standard of catering and more comfortable seating (in Business - I have not flown Economy on either carrier); some TK crews can be a little standoffish, but I have also experienced excellent crews.

QR's catering has DEFINITELY deteriorated, both in quantity as well as quality. Many of the female crew members, especially the man East European ones, appear to be disinterested.

BUT, QR goes to more places that I need to go to, hence I keep flying them - although I would much rather fly QR.

PS. While I have personally not experienced any problem, my gut feeling is that QR cockpit crews are better than TK ones.
I'm pleased you mentioned the Eastern European cabin crew. I have found them to have a completely different (poor) approach to service from the North African/Asian staff.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I've flown them regularly between Europe, East Africa and Asia for a good few years, and my thougts are:

* Catering has gone to he||, especially ex-DOH.

* Newer planes are more comfy, I love the 1-2-1 of the Dreamliner.

* The new airport is a nice "big airport", but I miss the old Premium Terminal.

* The new lounge in DOH is a zoo, the catering is two steps down from the PT.

* Customer service, as odd as it may sound, is slightly improving. I see less disempowerment of line employees.

* Cabin crews are generally good, but they used to be excellent. Now it's either a really good crew, or it's a really detached crew. Oddly enough, I've had a 6 month streak of meeting up crew I recognize from earlier flights.

* The plonk is very decent onboard, and most has been.

* There appears to be no mandatory flogging of people causing a smoking stink in half the new lounge.

* The website is fairly decent, but I wish for better apps for phones, integration with Passbook.

-A
Yeah I had real issues with the transfer at DOH especially the immigration nonsense. I mean LHR is better on that front! Are they any worse than Emirates or Ethiad though?

Qatar still just about my favourite pick for our LHR to Tokyo trip on account of trying out the A380 and being able to sit together and sleep very comfortably on the 777 to Tokyo. KLM are weighing in competitively with their new 747 product. I hear wildly different reviews on Ethiad but the chauffeur car and something different is tempting. Same issues with a horrid transfer at Abu Dhabi I'm guessing + A340 (Tokyo) is probably my least favourite piece of equipment. I've discounted Emirates on account of the fact in reality it's in reality an over marketed mediocre product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.