Wiki Posts
Search

Is QR F worth it - my view

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Is QR F worth it - my view

Yesterday my wife and I used a combination of Q Credits and Q miles to upgrade to F from J on QR 3 from DOH to LHR on the A380. Having flown QR J for years, my thoughts were:

* the seat was much wider and bigger but did not afford loads of privacy like EK does.

* the menu was not that extensive. Same crockery and cutlery used as J

* bathroom was bigger but not anymore luxurious then J

* amenity kit slightly kore enhance. I prefer the J pajamas

* wine list was slightly more enhanced

* service was the same, had to constantly use the call button to get attention

* screen was bigger. But the control not that easy to use

I personally would not pay or use miles to upgrade to F on QR long haul. On airlines like EK, LH, QF there is a remarkable difference but not on QR. The QR J experience is very close to their F experience IMHO.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:57 am

Programs: The Embassy
The big question is going to be is Al Safwa worth dropping the points on for BKK <-> LHR/CDG. I didn't find F on the A380 a significant step up from the excellent J, and I appear to be one of the few people content with Al Mourjan.
Old May 2, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
Yesterday my wife and I used a combination of Q Credits and Q miles to upgrade to F from J on QR 3 from DOH to LHR on the A380. Having flown QR J for years, my thoughts were:

* the seat was much wider and bigger but did not afford loads of privacy like EK does.

* the menu was not that extensive. Same crockery and cutlery used as J

* bathroom was bigger but not anymore luxurious then J

* amenity kit slightly kore enhance. I prefer the J pajamas

* wine list was slightly more enhanced

* service was the same, had to constantly use the call button to get attention

* screen was bigger. But the control not that easy to use

I personally would not pay or use miles to upgrade to F on QR long haul. On airlines like EK, LH, QF there is a remarkable difference but not on QR. The QR J experience is very close to their F experience IMHO.
Did they serve you caviar in F?
Old May 2, 2015, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Guava
Did they serve you caviar in F?
No. It was a breakfast flight. I was disappointed.
Old May 3, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
Originally Posted by roadwarriorafrica
No. It was a breakfast flight. I was disappointed.
They served caviar on the CDG-DOH afternoon flight. It wasn't a very good caviar though. I have never had good caviar on any F flight.

Italian caviar is a heresy for Iranians.

I also agree with OP. QR F was not quite a step up from J. I liked the Missoni Pjs, but I think the amenity kit is terrible. Looks like something I'd pick up at Walmart.

I think they pay to win those prizes for "best amenity kit" and so on.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:12 am

QR appear to be a victim of their apparent drive to "make their J as good as others' F" - they seem to be making people question the value of F on the few routes where they have it!

However, I don't know how anyone can really argue against the hard product. I didn't think the 787 J was so revolutionary as to affecting my decision on whether to fly F or not. In some ways (e.g. TV and table being above leg space) I actually preferred the CX seat over QR.

Personally I like both closed and open F seat designs, and feel they both have their own merits. For an open seat, I think QR's looks absolutely stunningly and very much looking forward to trying it in about 3 weeks.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I agree with you all..although I also like open cabins and found the QR cabin particularly well designed and tasteful - simple elegance, rather than bling bling. And when I walked back through the C cabin I really felt what a difference in space the F cabin makes - although I am a big fan of the QR new C seats. I was also very disappointed by the breakfast concept of the DOH-London route and the lack of pro-active service.

If you dont know it yet: have a look at my video of this flight on youtube.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:14 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm fortunate to usually travel F on longhaul. Over the past 2 months, I have taken 6 F flights on QR, 2 J flights on QR, and 2 F flights on BA.

I found QR F to be absolutely fantastic (in comparison to BA F).

For me, the main difference between QR F and J was the wider seat, and thus a wider bed to sleep. I greatly appreciated sleeping well for once! Furthermore, I preferred the smaller F cabin opposed to the larger J cabin.

QR J is excellent, don't get me wrong. However, for me, the small upgrades between new J and new F are worthwhile benefits.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA
I agree with you in terms of the comparison to J but QR F is not worse than other carriers F. For example, your comparison of F and J for LH and QF is reasonable. But who flies LH business? LH business is arguably one of the world J out there. If you compare QR F to LH or QF F, some might say QR is better. However, QR's J is much better than QF or LH, so doesn't make much sense to evaluate airlines by the marginal differences.

Yet, I still hope QR steps up their F. Compared to EY's first class, it is kinda a shame...
Old May 3, 2015, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I'm fortunate to usually travel F on longhaul. Over the past 2 months, I have taken 6 F flights on QR, 2 J flights on QR, and 2 F flights on BA.

For me, the main difference between QR F and J was the wider seat, and thus a wider bed to sleep. I greatly appreciated sleeping well for once! Furthermore, I preferred the smaller F cabin opposed to the larger J cabin.

QR J is excellent, don't get me wrong. However, for me, the small upgrades between new J and new F are worthwhile benefits.
BA F is a pretty low bar. I for one really enjoyed my QR F A380 flight. Food and service were fantastic.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I've taken the A380 a few times in F, and not sampled other varieties of F for QR.

My verdict is that as a bed its real nice, and as a seat its real nice.

Privacy isn't really an issue for me, I've been in 2A on my flights, and being in the back corner it's always been enough to raise the privacy screen.

The big difference to the J seats is the increased space, and just finer materials and finishing. The J seat on 787 and A380 is very functional and practical, but the F seat is much more elegant, yet provides pretty much the same space and storage.

Catering in J is a let down as it is from most stations, and F is basically J food on slightly different plates I found. The wines are more than good enough in J and F is a step up.

The amenity kits are OK for both classes, I barely use them.

The difference in size of the bog is marked from J to F, the only better throne in the sky I've had would be the SAS A340 before their previous refit, where it would be the only be the only bog in the sky to get 10 out of 10 marks.

The only minor detraction I found is that the galley located between J and F is a really busy space, and that can make for a fair bit of noise sometimes.

-A
Old May 3, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msm2000uk

Let's just say beating BA F is not a very hard task given that BA F is nicknamed as "the best Business Class in the sky". There are very few airlines these days that still have a true First Class product in the air and BA surely isn't one of them. I can pretty much count on my two hands the number of airlines that still have true F cabin and service, notwithstanding what they like to call themselves or how they market it.

This thread is an eye opener about QR F. I have been thinking about trying QR's new F on A380 for some time since an opportunity may come up soon to travel to the gulf region to visit a friend of mine who works in Dubai and I have been debating whether to buy F or J. The feedback here isn't encouraging. I knew that QR's CEO has been talking about getting rid of F and replacing them with all J, I guess this will happen sooner or later. It seems like QR F is just a Business class in a nicer seat. Plus, the schedule of these A380 flights are really awkward, most of them are either red-eye / overnight flights or early morning with breakfast as the only service, two of the least desirable times to fly.

If upgrade to QR F is cheap, it could still be worthwhile but as it stands, QR F has a steep premium vs. QR J in: Cash cost, mileage cost, upgrade award that makes it an overpriced product.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:33 pm

Has QR not been quite open in their quest to push J as their main premium cabin, and make F a small offering for upgraders/more money than sense types?

Once they get rid of the A330s it will be tough to find a better J product in the market.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phol
Has QR not been quite open in their quest to push J as their main premium cabin, and make F a small offering for upgraders/more money than sense types?

Once they get rid of the A330s it will be tough to find a better J product in the market.
The Business class market is highly competitive, far more so than the First class market. The GCC region airlines have strong competition from Asian carriers. So the Europe-Asia traffic is going to be tough for QR to crack since QR wont' able to offer direct flights to/from Europe and major Asian cities like HKG, NRT/HND and SIN. North American carriers tend to have very solid Business Class seats, looking at AA's new Business and as well as AC, who will start flying YYZ-DXB shortly. The North American carriers will have a connection advantage in that most of the companies will have contract with home carriers so QR will need to offer lots of discounts to lure customers away, especially for Transpacific traffic, given that it's faster to get Asia via the Pacific than the Atlantic. For me, due to the awkward times of QR flights, all these midnight or 2AM flights is a major disincentive. I think there is a reason why QR J pax can have Krug at the A380 bar, at this time, QR kinds of need to do more to attract pax.
Old May 3, 2015, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Guava
The Business class market is highly competitive, far more so than the First class market. The GCC region airlines have strong competition from Asian carriers. So the Europe-Asia traffic is going to be tough for QR to crack since QR wont' able to offer direct flights to/from Europe and major Asian cities like HKG, NRT/HND and SIN. North American carriers tend to have very solid Business Class seats, looking at AA's new Business and as well as AC, who will start flying YYZ-DXB shortly. The North American carriers will have a connection advantage in that most of the companies will have contract with home carriers so QR will need to offer lots of discounts to lure customers away, especially for Transpacific traffic, given that it's faster to get Asia via the Pacific than the Atlantic. For me, due to the awkward times of QR flights, all these midnight or 2AM flights is a major disincentive. I think there is a reason why QR J pax can have Krug at the A380 bar, at this time, QR kinds of need to do more to attract pax.
The ME3 have already cracked the Europe-Asia market. QR/EK/EY are decimating the businesses of all the European carriers on product and price, and making a dent on the equally good Asian airlines for those who prefer price over a direct flight.

North American carriers struggle against the European airlines let alone the ME3. If you're going to the Far East yes you're better off on CX/JL etc, but for anything towards Africa or West/Central Asia why would you ever consider AA/DL/UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.