Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is QR F worth it - my view

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by Guava
North American carriers tend to have very solid Business Class seats, looking at AA's new Business and as well as AC, who will start flying YYZ-DXB shortly.
Perhaps unfairly I always feel it's a bit hit and miss on US carriers. Delta Business Elite was a great seat last time I flew, but departing LON I know that no amount of equipment changes, misbookings, whatever is going to lead to me having an 80's style seat if I choose to fly VS, much like I know I need to get pretty unlucky to get a bad QR J seat.
Old May 4, 2015, 6:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Guava
Let's just say beating BA F is not a very hard task given that BA F is nicknamed as "the best Business Class in the sky". There are very few airlines these days that still have a true First Class product in the air and BA surely isn't one of them. I can pretty much count on my two hands the number of airlines that still have true F cabin and service, notwithstanding what they like to call themselves or how they market it.

This thread is an eye opener about QR F. I have been thinking about trying QR's new F on A380 for some time since an opportunity may come up soon to travel to the gulf region to visit a friend of mine who works in Dubai and I have been debating whether to buy F or J. The feedback here isn't encouraging. I knew that QR's CEO has been talking about getting rid of F and replacing them with all J, I guess this will happen sooner or later. It seems like QR F is just a Business class in a nicer seat. Plus, the schedule of these A380 flights are really awkward, most of them are either red-eye / overnight flights or early morning with breakfast as the only service, two of the least desirable times to fly.

If upgrade to QR F is cheap, it could still be worthwhile but as it stands, QR F has a steep premium vs. QR J in: Cash cost, mileage cost, upgrade award that makes it an overpriced product.
I flew into BKK earlier today from CDG. The price was about half of what it would have been from LHR, and the short hop and terminal change wasnt difficult.

I take note that FTers have commented on my comparison to BA F. I do not disagree with those comments, but I would add that I mentioned it, as it is the only way to travel East, in a true F cabin.

Furthermore, and to add to my praise of the QR product, I had two magnificent flights in F today. On both, the CC were brilliant, and happy to converse freely (including one of the CCs talking to me for 25mins about the ruling family and their journeys on QR). Additionally, when I landed at DOH, the A380 was on C concourse. This meant, for some reason, that I had to go back through security.

However, upon disembarking the aircraft, I was met by a member of QR ground staff and her golf-buggy+driver. They took me to security, took me to the front of the queue, and arranged for a room in the Quiet Zone in the Al Mourjan (impressive as the Quiet Zone concierge was turning people away as they were full). This benefit is for F only, and was very worthwhile as even the Premium Class line at security was lengthy.

So, the gap between J and F has just got widened further for me. QR J is a very good product; but QR F is even better and, on this occassion, it was cheaper than J.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by phol
..If you're going to the Far East yes you're better off on CX/JL etc...
Service on CX / JL F is over-rated IMO, though the seats are good. For instance, CX serves the same Italian caviar that QR does (and about which an Iranian passenger commented earlier in the thread) and JL serves no caviar at all. For that matter, QF also serves no caviar. And the F product of US carriers? Fuhgettaboutit.
Old May 15, 2015, 2:56 am

Im sure the review between J and F is going to be bias if one who pay the ticket from his own pocket compare to those corporate traveller. It is really about the expectation of the return from the money you spent. Higher the expectation and there will be greater chance of disappointment.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:32 am

Programs: The Embassy
Or those who use miles to go from J to F. I'm starting to even wonder if the F experience is worth the extra miles. Suspect treating my wife to the occasional business class flight is going to be a better return on investment... Curious to try the Al-Safwa lounge, but after that, hard to see the benefit, especially if you're on the A380.
Old May 15, 2015, 7:33 am

QR F needs to be placed on longer haul flights; the DOH-BKK, DOH-LHR and DOH-CDG routes are all pretty short, on the order of 6-7 hours. They need an A380F DOH-SYD route like Etihad.
Old May 18, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I just flew DOH-CDG in F a couple of days ago on the A380 for the first time. I was very impressed by the hard product, and to me well worth the difference in price. The elegance, tasteful fittings and superior comfort are way better than in J, and better than on many QR competitors.
The bathrooms are extremely spacious and comfortable, always available since there are two for only 8 pax.

The only disappointment was the meal, except for the wines. But not too many airlines have exceptional meals in F, except for Air France, which has top quality and refined haute cuisine served both in the F lounge and on board.

The experience was very positive and provided one flies on the A380, worth the value for money. On the A340 definitely not on the other hand.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by TinDrum
Service on CX / JL F is over-rated IMO, though the seats are good. For instance, CX serves the same Italian caviar that QR does (and about which an Iranian passenger commented earlier in the thread) and JL serves no caviar at all. For that matter, QF also serves no caviar. And the F product of US carriers? Fuhgettaboutit.
I couldn't care less what caviar is served though ^. F for me is about the seat and the quality of the crew. I'd rather they absolutely nailed a cheeseburger than faffed around with haute cuisine that will never fully work at 35,000ft.
Old May 21, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
Originally Posted by phol
The ME3 have already cracked the Europe-Asia market. QR/EK/EY are decimating the businesses of all the European carriers on product and price, and making a dent on the equally good Asian airlines for those who prefer price over a direct flight.

North American carriers struggle against the European airlines let alone the ME3. If you're going to the Far East yes you're better off on CX/JL etc, but for anything towards Africa or West/Central Asia why would you ever consider AA/DL/UA?
I think you are positively right, from my point of view, we are seeing J-class fares practically anywhere in Africa, ME, South-East Asia in line with expensive monkey-fares with SK (Scandinavian), however, they have not yet let us use DOH/DXB as hubs for the US-market. I know it is a .ell of a detour flying OSL-DXB-DFW, but as a geek to this system (depending on connection time etc.) I would consider it.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TinDrum
and JL serves no caviar at all.
um...what?

It doesn't look like you have actually flown JL in First because if you did, you wouldn't be making such false statement. All the pictures above are taken in 2015, with the exception of the 1st picture, which is just a plain caviar, photos #2 to #4 are all prepared and created by either a Michelin 3 Stars or 2 Stars chef. All of the above always come with Salon 2002 Champagne limited to some 60,000 bottles worldwide in its vintage, which is about $500 USD / bottle vs. the $150 USD / bottle Krug that QR serves.

Sorry, you just can't possibly compare QR to JL in terms of catering, it's not in the same league at all. But they don't have much of a overlap in terms of route so they are not really competitors.

Here are some additional pics of various Michelin 3 Stars and 2 Stars cuisine served on board JL:

Old May 24, 2015, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by thierry
I just flew DOH-CDG in F a couple of days ago on the A380 for the first time. I was very impressed by the hard product, and to me well worth the difference in price. The elegance, tasteful fittings and superior comfort are way better than in J, and better than on many QR competitors.
The bathrooms are extremely spacious and comfortable, always available since there are two for only 8 pax.

The only disappointment was the meal, except for the wines. But not too many airlines have exceptional meals in F, except for Air France, which has top quality and refined haute cuisine served both in the F lounge and on board.

The experience was very positive and provided one flies on the A380, worth the value for money. On the A340 definitely not on the other hand.
AF haute cuisine ? Seriously in F ? They are nowhere near Far East products honestly
Old May 26, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soonyeap
AF haute cuisine ? Seriously in F ? They are nowhere near Far East products honestly
Have you experienced it? If you had you would know better.
The only F meals close to AF quality would be JL and NH. I have flown SQ, CX, QF, EY, QR, EK, TG, MH in F just to mention Asian airlines, and none of them come even close.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The only F meals close to AF quality would be JL and NH. I have flown SQ, CX, QF, EY, QR, EK, TG, MH in F just to mention Asian airlines, and none of them come even close.
I respectfully disagree with you regarding AF F.

Their onboard food/wine is quite disappointing in F.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:55 am

I wont have written that comment if i dont, would i? Maybe i have fat tongue ...
Old May 29, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
The F cabin on the A380 looked really nice: classy and spacious. Would like to try if there was a F sale.

However, J is very good, especially for the price in J promotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.