Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Help: middle name instead of first name on ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I really need your advice on this matter.

Friday night I booked tickets from Amsterdam to Bangkok for myself and my parents through the traveling website wtc.nl.
Upon confirmation I noticed that my father's ticket said John Lewis. 'John' represents the name he goes by, but the full name in his passport is Mike Sean John Lewis.

I immediately contacted Qatar airways, who said that they can't make any changes to the name and that I could try and cancel and see if I'm eligible for a refund (pretty certain I'm not). They also said that I have to check with the TA, because only they are allowed to make changes. The TA however, told me that they would inquire again with the airline, so it's basically going around in circles.

I understand that there is a small chance that any changes will be made, so my main question is, what are the odds that my father will still be able to board with this ticket?
I know that it should be First Name Last name, but since the name used on the ticket is also in his passport I'm still holding on to some hope..

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Shunz; Apr 25, 2015 at 8:19 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
You mean you noticed that you typed his middle name as hist first name when making reservation, right? 'coz TA doesn't make this stuff up

However I believe you should be fine with this as document has the name in it.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Yes I meant that I typed his middle name as his first name!

Thanks for your reply, I very much hope that we will be alright too!
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The TA is responsible for handling such a change. They may need QR's authorization, but it's for them to obtain, not you. They get a commission, override and/or the ability to charge the customer in exchange for certain obligations.

In any case, I am also in the camp that it shouldn't be a cause for concern. I'd advise your dad to 100% play dumb, yet arrive at the airport a tad earlier so if QR has any issues with it they have enough time to reissue the ticket.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply hillrider, I think that we'll indeed just go for it when the time comes.
Do you think we should also refrain from checking in online and try to fix everything at the airport? Or would that only draw more attention?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:16 am
R2

I don't think you will have any problems...I once mixed up my last name and first name ie they were reverse on the ticket...no questions asked. My mother has used her middle name all her life - that's what everyone calls her - and she always books tickets like that also; middle name, last name. I never heard she had any problems.

You'll be fine.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
You´ll be fine. Even with the miles if you collect them with the carrier you are flying with. Only problem with miles I could imagine is if you were flying with carrier A, but collect them with carrieer B in the same alliance. Happended to me several times.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:18 am
Suspended

I often fly with my middle name, only problem is crediting FF miles directly
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the comforting replies! I feel a lot more confident already (:
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Poster

TA's now telling me that is has to be changed and they're kindly willing to do that for me for €550..that's insane right?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by Shunz
TA's now telling me that is has to be changed and they're kindly willing to do that for me for €550..that's insane right?
That is one expensive mistake!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.