Wiki Posts
Search

Audio outlets on QR in Business

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Audio outlets on QR in Business

What are the outlets on QR in business class (77L, 77W, and A320 - old J)?

Reason asking is I am traveling with 5 year old and need to get her headset as her head is obviously smaller than adults and want to make sure I have correct jack.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by iztok
What are the outlets on QR in business class (77L, 77W, and A320 - old J)?
77W I was on a couple of days ago looked like a standard two prong. I know I've seen the tripod version recently, but think that was on the A380. Make sure whatever headphones you bring have some kind of noise cancelling (in ear ones with rubber sleeves work pretty well), or the whole exercise is moot anyway.

(also wouldn't a mini iPad loaded with Peppa Pig be a better choice than the IFE which is a huge pain in the ... to use?)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

100% of the airlines use either the
  • 2 x 3.5 mm mono
  • 3.5mm stereo or
  • 6.35 mm stereo (very rare)

If you travel with adapters for all you're covered 100%, but personally I encounter the last one only 0-5% a year.

The impedance is all over the map, and an audio transformer (impedance adaptor) may be required; thankfully my 2 x 3.5 mm mono to 1 3.55 mm stereo adaptor (which came with a pair of Sony NC in-ear headsets) also has a transformer, as with certain airlines' systems I would be blasted even at the lowest volume without it.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: CX Gold
The ones I flew had 3-hole audio outlets. Can we use ordinary earphone plugs here?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by boybi
The ones I flew had 3-hole audio outlets. Can we use ordinary earphone plugs here?
No, one prong if for left, one for right and i am guessing the other for power for the noise cancellation

Normal earphones will only get one side of audio / unless you use an adapter
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by hillrider
100% of the airlines use either the
  • 2 x 3.5 mm mono
  • 3.5mm stereo or
  • 6.35 mm stereo (very rare)

If you travel with adapters for all you're covered 100%, but personally I encounter the last one only 0-5% a year.

The impedance is all over the map, and an audio transformer (impedance adaptor) may be required; thankfully my 2 x 3.5 mm mono to 1 3.55 mm stereo adaptor (which came with a pair of Sony NC in-ear headsets) also has a transformer, as with certain airlines' systems I would be blasted even at the lowest volume without it.
I have a set but this time traveling with wife and kid and need smaller headset for kid. Trying to find any good NC headphone for 4-5 year old.

I tried to search for impedance adapter but no luck finding what you describe. Have a link?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iztok
I tried to search for impedance adapter but no luck finding what you describe. Have a link?
I'm afraid not. Mine came with a Sony headset and all I can find, as you can as well, is just plain dual 3.5 mm mono to single 3.5 mm stereo plug. Sorry!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The last pair of Bose headsets I bought has adapters for different types of connections in the pouch. I keep them there and carry all of them all the time.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cundall
No, one prong if for left, one for right and i am guessing the other for power for the noise cancellation

Normal earphones will only get one side of audio / unless you use an adapter
This is not correct

Recent flights on A350, A380 and B787 a single 3,5mm phono jack plugged into either socket had sound in both headphones, it may not have been stereo but it sounded fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.