Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Optimism - QR815 to DOH connecting through to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!

Hey all,

With a considerable price gap and the ability to earn OW points on QR; my family have elected that flying QR and the CX codeshare on the return is the most cost-effective manner in which we can get back for the summer in J.

Conscious of the fantastic hard & soft products QR provide, I immediately assumed a well-equipped aircraft would serve HKG, especially considering the calibre which CX push for the route, and I'm sure feeder market share is competitive from a fast-emerging Asian market?!

Anyway, having recently gone onto MMB to input numbers, I was astounded to find that an A332 serves the route. Seriously?! Singapore, Seoul and Bangkok all are fine with a 777 or A359, and they're sending A332's to HKG?

Anyway, I was confused. My question here really is, is there any way to predict whether we'll get a refurbed flat-bed aircraft, or perhaps by June we might see an overall equipment upgrade to the route itself?! Is this wishful thinking?!

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm fine with the A346 to LHR that we're connecting onward, it's a day flight and I expect it'll be perfectly adequate. Just surprised you wouldn't offer a flat bed for HKG!?

Many, many thanks in advance. Excuse the hint of HKG-based DYKWIA Snobbery!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Its impossible to predict whether the A332 would be refurbished or not, but the answer is usually yes.

I think CX limits the aircraft size of QR815 to maintain their own flight to DOH as a condition of letting QR to joing OW.

And also QR is not a popular airline in HK, the European flight market is dominated by other South Eastern and European carrier and EK for some reason. Also 卡塔爾 is so small and unpopular, it also sounds like a scary and chaotic African country in Cantonese lol

I highly recommend you to switch to the 1 hour later A380 flight if possible, the hard product is so much better and it allows you to take a shower in the lounge. I usually sleep for 2 to 3 hours on the second leg despite its a day flight because the first leg is not long enough for a full night sleep.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:06 pm

I would certainly try to swap on to the CX codeshare if you can.

It's been mentioned that CX are stopping them swapping to a larger aircraft, but the 787 has less capacity than the 2 class A332 that usually gets sent to HKG. There must be another consideration. It may simply be that CX mandate QR must use the same aircraft type as them.

I have my fingers crossed that once Singapore goes to the A350, that spare 787 will come our way.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:38 pm

I really don't want 787 to fly to HKG, it's THE worst aircraft in the fleet

The A332 is usually refurbished so I can't see any problem with it
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by QRisthebest
I really don't want 787 to fly to HKG, it's THE worst aircraft in the fleet...

That's an unusual commment and certainly not my experience. Any particular reason or justification for this?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult

That's an unusual commment and certainly not my experience. Any particular reason or justification for this?
Yes - the 787 is so much better than the A330s and even 777s. Unless you have a peculiar hatred for diagonal seats i cant think of any reason to think otherwise?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult

I guess it comes down to which class you're flying... I've flown the 787 in J class (one of the best layouts alongside the A380 and A350) and in Y class, which I definitely consider the worst layout of the entire fleet.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:08 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
I guess it comes down to which class you're flying... I've flown the 787 in J class (one of the best layouts alongside the A380 and A350) and in Y class, which I definitely consider the worst layout of the entire fleet.
Its such a pleasure to have Mr purple1addict on my side.

To justify, B787 has the smallest Y class seats across the whole fleet. Y class is in 3-3-3 layout so window seats are less desirable whereas it's fine on 330/340
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum

To justify, B787 has the smallest Y class seats across the whole fleet. Y class is in 3-3-3 layout so window seats are less desirable whereas it's fine on 330/340
Completely agree (apart from the "Mr" ), it seems they wanted to go all out in J, but with heavy cost for Y PAX...
there was a time when QR was quite proud to also offer a good hard-product in Y (777 comes to mind..), but i guess even-more-cramped layouts are the way to go for Y, not just for QR.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:35 pm

well...I would choose to blame Boeing because 787 is generally crap no matter on which airline

777 is designed to be about 9.3-seat-wide so only a minority of airlines would choose to round the number of seats up (AF,EK,MU). Leaving QR to round it down which makes the seats wider

787 is designed to be 8.8-seat-wide so only JAL and ANA(I think) chose to put 8 seats across each row, which is quite expensive, the layout encourages airlines to try to round the number of seats up rather than down.

btw I made up the '9.3' and '8.8' but thats close to the truth
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by purple1addict
I suppose many on here do tend to forget about Y sometimes, obviously myself included
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
^

Originally Posted by zehbra
Completely agree (apart from the "Mr" )

Originally Posted by phol
I suppose many on here do tend to forget about Y sometimes, obviously myself included
Haha - I wish I had the luxury to forget about Y

I wonder if QR has realised the brand damage caused though (terrible reviews on Skytrax etc about the 787 Y cabin) as they seem to be heavily promoting the "Xtra Comfort" of the A350 Y cabin... Obviously (apart from FT of course ) the travelling public will normally fly Y and 3-3-3 on the 787 is not a 5 star product!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:07 am

I would be really surprised if purple1addict is female, with top tier with two airlines and actively engage on a travelers' forum...

Can somebody tell me the truth?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.