Wiki Posts
Search

Why does QR need payment verification?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,, Hilton HHonors Gold
Why does QR need payment verification?

I booked my first ever ticket with QR yesterday for AMS-DOH-BKK-DOH-LHR-AMS. I live in the UK and used a UK based credit card. I checked with card issuer and the transaction has already been processed. I received the booking confirmation and e-ticket by email. This morning however, I get an email from QR asking me to verify my payment information. They would like a copy of my passport and most annoyingly a copy of my credit card statement. I find this a bit uncomfortable to be honest. I did submit it anyway and it says that my ticket isn't confirmed until I receive an e-ticket. But I already received an e-ticket yesterday before I got the payment verification email. From what I can gather, this payment verification email and the form on the website appear to be genuine. Anyone know what's going on here?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
A similar situation happened to me. A while ago while in Qatar I used a Canadian CC. I telephoned QR and they send a note to IT. It was sorted out eventually. I had my e-ticket and nothing ever happened again.

Do you have a local number to call QR to discuss this issue? If so, try calling.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Qatar Airways: 5-star airline, 1-star IT
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
I booked a AMS-DOH-BKK-DOH-AMS using a UK based credit card and they want to see the credit card at check in. I have flown with Qatar before but didn't need the card for UK departures.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is an anti-fraud mechanism which should only be triggered when there are fraud indicators. Those usually have to do with purchases in high-fraud areas or CC's from other jurisdiction. Neither the case here.

The passport is one thing (as they will see that and could well take and store a copy at check-in), but the CC statement is another.

This is more than likely an error. Call before sending anything. If there is some other odd trigger, perhaps you can explain that on a call as well.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Often1
This is an anti-fraud mechanism which should only be triggered when there are fraud indicators. Those usually have to do with purchases in high-fraud areas or CC's from other jurisdiction. Neither the case here.

The passport is one thing (as they will see that and could well take and store a copy at check-in), but the CC statement is another.

This is more than likely an error. Call before sending anything. If there is some other odd trigger, perhaps you can explain that on a call as well.
Seems to be more common on QR than other airlines.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24484682-post11.html

They even have a website to do it:
https://www.qatarairways.com/global/...ification.page

Last edited by skunker; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:26 am
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andy49
I booked a AMS-DOH-BKK-DOH-AMS using a UK based credit card and they want to see the credit card at check in. I have flown with Qatar before but didn't need the card for UK departures.
I can understand if they want to see my credit card before I fly. That is common practice and I have no problem with that. But asking for a credit card statement seems like an extreme measure. I will call QR to see what they say.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blindy
They would like a copy of my passport and most annoyingly a copy of my credit card statement.
I'd appreciate understanding what is meant by "a copy of my credit card statement".

I've never scanned/photocopied an entire (3 - 8+ page) credit card statement received in the mail, nor ever forwarded one that I can download online, and I therefore suspect that I don't really understand what is meant by "statement" here.

What if you're travelling and haven't got access to a hardcopy statement?

Are they asking to see an online screen print where you (and they) can observe the pending QR charge?

TIA for insights!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I'd appreciate understanding what is meant by "a copy of my credit card statement".

I've never scanned/photocopied an entire (3 - 8+ page) credit card statement received in the mail, nor ever forwarded one that I can download online, and I therefore suspect that I don't really understand what is meant by "statement" here.

What if you're travelling and haven't got access to a hardcopy statement?

Are they asking to see an online screen print where you (and they) can observe the pending QR charge?

TIA for insights!
You are required to present your credit card statement at check-in with some other airlines in Asia. The request for credit card statement is probably due to third country booking- have been asked and provided this through a secure case link to QR. I believe the verification is necessary considering the amount of cc fraud- but this is a clear glitch- as the credit card owner is part of the travelling party, unless of-course someone in fraud verification dept needs to keep his KPIs...

Last edited by ashkale; Mar 17, 2015 at 6:54 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:59 am

Hello,

It is fraud prevention measure applied by fraud screening department in Doha.

One may be asked to complete online verification or visit local QR city office or airport office (always make sure that offices are open for public beforehand) due to some fraud indicators and/or third party payment involved .

In general the card pay be presented at the airport at the moment of check-in and this way verified by the airport staff.

If that option is not advised by the email received, one may contact QR and ask if may action verification at the airport.

As for the form available online:

Did qr explain what kind of card statement they need actually?

Perhaps what they are asking for is a scan of the cc with the first 6 numbers visible middle ones covered and 4 last visible. But please note that on qatarairways.com/cardpayment the card statement option is not marked with an asterisk * meaning not obligatory unless asked explicite by QR in a separate mail / conversation.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Been there done that, and for the same route on next November. If I recall correctly, the CC statement was optional, not mandatory as the passport scan.

In my case I sent them both, because I realized later that the request for the statement was optional. I just scanned the first page of the last statement. As result, I received an e-mail saying was no longer necessary to have the CC at check-in, after this verification.

P.S.
The whole process it's a bit of a PITA, in my opinion.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

There is a conclusion

I received the email asking for payment verification on Tuesday morning. I called QR Tuesday late afternoon. The lady on the phone was of the opinion that I shouldn't have been asked to verify my credit card as the traveler and the person buying the ticket is one and the same. She could either take up the case with the payment verification team or I could send the required documents. I opted to send a scanned copy of my passport as I thought this would clear up the matter once for all. She also suggested that I include a PDF of my credit card statement downloaded from my online card account. I was reluctant to do this but I did it eventually. I received an email confirming that all the documents have been received and that I should hear from them soon.
But this morning (Wednesday), I got another reminder email saying that if I don't do my payment verification in the next 24 hours, they will cancel my ticket. This got me really pissed off. I gave them a call again and it turns out the payment verification team hasn't gotten to looking at my documents yet. That's why I received the reminder email again. She told me that she talked to the team and they will approve the ticket ASAP. I also tweeted Qatar unflatteringly about this.
I finally have a confirmation email saying that payment verification has been completed. The email says that I now don't need to show my credit card to the checkin staff. But I would have been happy to show my credit card if it saved me all this trouble.
I also realized that QR actually picked up a lot of information about me from my British Airways Executive Club account such as my passport number and expiry date. Couldn't they have realized that I am a regular traveler because of OW Emerald status? Agreed that they wouldn't be getting my credit card details from my BAEC account.
If they are doing this just so that I don't have to show my card to checkin staff, I think a complete waste of time. It doesn't create any sort of good impression on someone wanting to try QR the first time. They better make up with some good service. Or else I won't be returning. British Airways are becoming crazier by the day but at least once you buy a ticket from them, they usually don't turn you around in cricles and certainly don't ask for credit card statements anyway. Is it even legal to ask for credit card statements in Europe? The entire process sucks IMO.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:25 pm

Anyone know how long is the usual verification process? I sent mine about a week ago but still no reply.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by blindy
I got another reminder email saying that if I don't do my payment verification in the next 24 hours, they will cancel my ticket. This got me really pissed off.
I begin to think it's a "standard" that also.

I got the same reminder e-mail after all stuff was sent. I didn't call, I just replied stating that I had already submitted all information and that I also had a case number after that.
Next mail was the one saying that everything was (finally!) in order.

I'm wondering if I will have the same procedure the next ticket I will buy on the website...
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
I begin to think it's a "standard" that also.

I got the same reminder e-mail after all stuff was sent. I didn't call, I just replied stating that I had already submitted all information and that I also had a case number after that.
Next mail was the one saying that everything was (finally!) in order.

I'm wondering if I will have the same procedure the next ticket I will buy on the website...
If you use the same credit card for the next booking, logically they shouldn't ask you to go through the same process again. Asking you to verify the same card again is rather pointless. But who knows. Logic doesn't seem to figure too much in their thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.