Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2014, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Flying BKK-DOH-BER this week. Does QR still use the TG lounge since joining one world? I assume I will have no trouble using the JL lounge since it is open in the morning as well.
Yes, or at least they did three weeks ago when I last flew QR from BKK. Its either the Royal Silk or Thai Orchid lounge. It depends on the time of your flight as one of them closes at midnight from what I recall.

Don't know about the JL lounge though.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
MH, for some reason, uses the TG lounge as well. I have no trouble using the CX lounge so I assume I can use the JL or CX lounge in paid C and OW emerald.

Last edited by Penguinmoon; Mar 18, 2014 at 6:22 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:07 am

So it is not possible to use the CX lounge with paid C? (I fare)

Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
I'm really confused about lounge access at BKK. If I am flying Business on Qatar to DOH, and I have Privilege Club Platinum, which lounge can I access? On Qatar's website, it states:

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi International Airport (BKK)
Royal First Class Lounge - First Class
Royal Orchid Lounge - Business Class

Is this right? As a Platinum member, would I be able to access the Royal First Lounge? Doesn't seem right.

Does access still alternate between Royal Silk/Orchid lounges in Concourse D/E depending on boarding gate?

Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 11:45 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
You would not be able to access the First Class side. I tried, and was told on a Business Class ticket, you only get access to the J class side. The Thai lounges get full very quickly, and are average at best. See if the Qantas or British Airways Lounges are open. I used the QF lounge and it was much better.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:30 am

According to the OW website, QR still uses the Thai Royal Orchid lounge.

However, there appears to be a wide choice of OW lounges (some with restricted times):
- British Airways Lounge (7:15-10:30)
- Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge, Concourse G (Mon/Wed: 05:30 - 19:30; Thu/Sun: 05:30 - 22:00; Tue/Fri/Sat: 05:30 - 00:30)
- Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge, Concourse D (05:30 - 18:30, closed between 12:00 - 13:00)
- Japan Airlines Sakura Lounge (05:45-08:30,18:00-23:30)
- Qantas Business Lounge (13:30 to 17:00 Mon / Wed / Fri / Sat 13:30 to 21:00 Tue/ Thur / Sun)
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
As mentioned, the TG lounges are utilised by QR; The bigger lounge at D pier seems the best bet though the lounge at E isn't too bad & overlooks the usual QR departure gates in E pier.

As for the OW lounges (when I departed on a Monday evening); The CX lounge seemed a bit on the small side for my liking. The QF lounge was a good size & had the best F&B offerings but was also the busiest. The BA lounge had a notice stating only open in the morning.

I settled on the Japan airlines lounge which opened at 6pm; medium sized with an OK selection of F&B. The big attraction for me was it was very quiet, Mrs IM & I were the only people in there for about 1 hours.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
MH, for some reason, uses the TG lounge as well. I have no trouble using the CX lounge so I assume I can use the JL or CX lounge in paid C and OW emerald.
MH uses the Louis Tavern Silver lounge now. With no OW status, can I still use JL Sakura and/or other OW lounges, flying MH business?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Yes. You can use JL, QF, CX, and BA. The JL has very limited hours though.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:38 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
QR to and from Bangkok (BKK)

Hi All,

I can't seem to find a clear answer to this anywhere and was hoping for some clarification.

According to the Qatar Airways site, the lounge for first class passengers in Bangkok is "Royal First Class Lounge- First Class".

It doesn't say the "Orchid" or "Silk" lounge.

Is this the main first class lounge used by Thai F passengers? And if so, considering that Thai is a star alliance member, does this even make sense?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:44 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
According to oneworld.com it is either the Royal Orchid or Silk Lounges.
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Note that you can also use any oneworld operated lounge as per oneworld rules.

Originally Posted by HB7
And if so, considering that Thai is a star alliance member, does this even make sense?
There are plenty of examples (not just limited to QR) of an operator having a contract with a third party lounge whose operator is in another alliance.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:13 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi All,

I can't seem to find a clear answer to this anywhere and was hoping for some clarification.

According to the Qatar Airways site, the lounge for first class passengers in Bangkok is "Royal First Class Lounge- First Class".

It doesn't say the "Orchid" or "Silk" lounge.

Is this the main first class lounge used by Thai F passengers? And if so, considering that Thai is a star alliance member, does this even make sense?
I was at BKK last week in F.

The F lounge, is, as you stated, the Royal First Silk Lounge.

At check-in, the staff will direct to you to the Orchid Lounge towards C3. However, ignore them.

Walk through the airport, past the miles of shops, towards C Gates. When you go down the escalator, look to the left and you will see a sign which says 'Royal First Lounge'. It is very comfortable with excellent staff and lovely private rooms.

For the record, the C3 lounge isn't great.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I was at BKK last week in F.

The F lounge, is, as you stated, the Royal First Silk Lounge.

At check-in, the staff will direct to you to the Orchid Lounge towards C3. However, ignore them.

Walk through the airport, past the miles of shops, towards C Gates. When you go down the escalator, look to the left and you will see a sign which says 'Royal First Lounge'. It is very comfortable with excellent staff and lovely private rooms.

For the record, the C3 lounge isn't great.
Do you think the ground staff do it because QR needs to pay more to TG if more passengers use the Royal First Lounge?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I am travelling in J, but as a OWE, can I use the Thai F lounge?

Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:52 pm

TravellerFrequently look at http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-a...ungeaccess/BKK for the answers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.