Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by more4less
For me the main difference between J and F is the service. Probaby as Qatar's service in J is so good, this difference is not so noticiable as on other airlines, but still loved the expirience to and from BKK, only pity was that the flights were too short
Agreed... I would add, love the Krug in first.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
On 836 tomorrow to BKK but MMB now saying seat map not available. Any experience of this?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:08 am

ExpatSomchai OLCI is open and the flight is now under airport control and MMB cannot be used since it no longer controls the flight. This is standard procedure.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thank you Sir
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly
Seat is a lot bigger (and comfortable), IFE screen is bigger too, cabin is smaller with a more attentive & personal service.
I don't know which pijamas they use in J now, but the new one in F were more comfortable and soft than what I had in J in November.

My other F experiences were all on BA (2 times on 747, 1 time on 380). QR cabin was way better...

Al Safwa lounge... sincerely I prefer the look of Al Mourjan. Ok, Al Safwa a la carte restaurant is good (only food tried there so far), but to me it's too cold, like a bank or museum hall.
I flew BA in F twice a long time ago (2001 LAX-LHR and 2006 LHR-NRT (both 747s)) and I flew on a Concorde scheduled LHR-JFK service in March 2003.

I'm flying Cathay on a redemption ticket in first in May but only as I had Avios to burn. Apart from that, I think that J has got so good on airlines that I have no real compulsion to fly F unless someone else is paying :-)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Guys I'm booked on 1st May on BKK-DOH on QR833 in F any chance (besides usually risk of equipment sub) of an aircraft change ?

I realise 388 on the BKK run is not as common as it used to be ?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nizar
Guys I'm booked on 1st May on BKK-DOH on QR833 in F any chance (besides usually risk of equipment sub) of an aircraft change ?

Currently... slim chance it will be swapped. A quick search shows they have not sub'd out the A388 in the recent past.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:49 pm

Nizar there are a number of equipment changes scheduled for later this year. See the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...es-2017-a.html thread for details.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by remdk
Nizar there are a number of equipment changes scheduled for later this year. See the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...es-2017-a.html thread for details.
remdk, I think this is good news (or maybe no news) for Nizar, correct, considering he is flying in ~ 2 weeks?

Doha – Bangkok A380 operation increases to up to 2 daily. Operational schedule remains subject to change as schedule update for this route is on-going
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by Nizar

I was flying on QR 830 late March and it was subbed from A380 to high-density B77W. I think a few pax were bumped and my 77W flight was full. It was F2 when I checked in so 6 pax must have been bumped to QR 836. I was in J and remained in J (overheard of some downgrades as well).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:07 am

A fifth daily flight, and the 787 flying to BKK .... but, yikes, what awful times!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by railways
A fifth daily flight, and the 787 flying to BKK .... but, yikes, what awful times!
At least you beat the morning rush hour traffic in Bangkok!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by railways
No, it's a very funny time... 05.55... 555... hahaha. Okay, Qatar have a sense of humour. Numbers aren't lost on Qatar, who of course also have flight 888 to Shanghai.

(For those not familiar with Thai, an explanation can be found here)
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: The Embassy
If the new times bring a J seat to/from LHR under 80k again, I'll happily arrive and depart that early. FinnAir doing the route for cheap-as-chips has basically priced me out of justifying flying on QR.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Originally Posted by zebrametalevel
If the new times bring a J seat to/from LHR under 80k again, I'll happily arrive and depart that early. FinnAir doing the route for cheap-as-chips has basically priced me out of justifying flying on QR.
There is a 77k promotion to AMS right now
Book your tickets by 3 May 2017 and save on Economy and Business Class fares for travel between 26 April and 21 June 2017*.

But I am looking for a sept trip with my 6 year girl and checked Finnair, would come to 4500 eur, 500 above my budget. Might even consider Y at 1500 for both of us.
I might wait for a 2 for 1 QR promotion to Europe (AMS, BRU, FRA,CDG°

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.