Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:56 pm

QR are doing their very best to maintain the schedule to all unaffected destinations. However during Ramadan demand on many routes is very low resulting in flight cancellations especially from/to Muslim countries.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by remdk
QR are doing their very best to maintain the schedule to all unaffected destinations. However during Ramadan demand on many routes is very low resulting in flight cancellations especially from/to Muslim countries.
Why do you think QR826 is canceled june 7,8,9 and today 12th. Its DOH-BKK?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Hyattdiamant
Why do you think QR826 is canceled june 7,8,9 and today 12th. Its DOH-BKK?
Hyattdiamant welcome to the QR forum.

There are a great many reasons for this such as:
- It is Ramadan and Qataris do not like to travel during Ramadan.
- The school holidays have not yet started.
- It is a very quiet period for air travel generally.
- QR826 has just been launched and is not as well known as the other flights and thus has a low seat occupancy.
- There is no demand for it at the moment and the aircraft could probably be put to better use elsewhere.

etc. etc.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, BA Gold, Sindbad Gold
Hyattdiamant welcome to the QR forum.

There are a great many reasons for this such as:
- It is Ramadan and Qataris do not like to travel during Ramadan.
- The school holidays have not yet started.
- It is a very quiet period for air travel generally.
- QR826 has just been launched and is not as well known as the other flights and thus has a low seat occupancy.
- There is no demand for it at the moment and the aircraft could probably be put to better use elsewhere.

etc. etc.
Thank you for your reply, i think they should not schedule it then and always saying its confirmed and then cancel the flight the same day. Id wish i could change it to the QR830 wich seems to operate normal.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:40 am

Hyattdiamant that may have to do with not losing the allocated slot at BKK!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I anticipate that this route will be maintained, although disrupted from time to time. It may be empty upstairs in the pax section but the cargo holds will be packed with non temperature sensitive packaged food and lots of vegetables and fruit. Thailand has no intention of missing out on a money making opportunity. A supply of fresh produce avoids a food shortage and will help maintain social peace in Qatar.

Last week the local Bangkok papers reported that Ms Pimchanok Vonkorpon, Director-General of the Trade Policy and Strategy Office, Ministry of Commerce, gave assurances that products such as gems and jewelry and fresh produce that are transported by air will not be affected. She cited the current food shortage in Qatar as a golden opportunity for Thai exporters of vegetables and fruits. (Her words, not mine, so don't slam me for the lack of sensitivity / diplomacy demonstrated by Thai government officials.)

Hence, my view that this route will be protected/maintained.
If freight becomes a priority then expect swaps to 77W, as the WhaleJet has barely enoguh cargo space to haul it's own luggage when full. The 77W has a lot more space for freight vs pax.

-A
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
If freight becomes a priority then expect swaps to 77W, as the WhaleJet has barely enoguh cargo space to haul it's own luggage when full. The 77W has a lot more space for freight vs pax.

-A
Thats seems to be the gradually the case. Was looking at my flights in October and there is only 787 and the rest of the daily flights is scheduled as 77W.

Don't know if this will change back to A380.

Hopefully they will have the new qsuites but I better expect them not to
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
I was pleasantly surprised to receive an op-up from J to F on DOH-BKK on their A380, no status with QR but OW Emerald. Don't know how many others were so fortunate but 7 of the 8 F seats were filled. Other than 2 glasses of Krug, didn't really take full advantage of it, as I was quite tired from the long previous flight and not that hungry. Very comfortable seat and very attentive service (my FA only served 3 passengers).
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I was pleasantly surprised to receive an op-up from J to F on DOH-BKK on their A380, no status with QR but OW Emerald. Don't know how many others were so fortunate but 7 of the 8 F seats were filled. Other than 2 glasses of Krug, didn't really take full advantage of it, as I was quite tired from the long previous flight and not that hungry. Very comfortable seat and very attentive service (my FA only served 3 passengers).
Lucky you! Was J overbooked? I (QR Plat) recently did the same flight in J with all 8 F seats empty and nobody was upgraded.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Originally Posted by toz100
Lucky you! Was J overbooked? I (QR Plat) recently did the same flight in J with all 8 F seats empty and nobody was upgraded.
We were upgraded a while back on this flight from business to first. Both of us are EXP/Emerald. I asssume business was full.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by toz100
I'm sure it was, but wasn't told that specifically. When my boarding pass was scanned at the gate, there was a prolonged beep, after which the agent paused a bit, then told me I had been upgraded to first class.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Just flew on the a380 from BKK-DOH on Monday the 22nd of June QR833 at 21:15. Load levels were super low first had 2 passengers (I used some Qcredits for my upgrade from biz to first) and business had like 14 passengers. Crew was also mentioning the low load levels.

When I got to the Al safwa lounge in Doha it was empty. I saw one other passenger that night. It was great though as I had a 7 hour layover until my next flight so I made use of the beds back in the quiet area. Really handy!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:13 pm

Is there a way of telling which 777-300 QR836 will be tomorrow? I'm trying to pick a seat and there's a difference between the 43 and 50-row planes, apparently. Right now I'm in 39D.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:42 pm

giblet If you use OnLine Check-In (OLCI) and look at the seatmap for seat selection you should be able to tell from the number of rows. And you can change from 39D to another seat if you wish.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:47 pm

giblet If you use OnLine Check-In (OLCI) and look at the seatmap for seat selection you should be able to tell from the number of rows. And you can change from 39D to another seat if you wish.
Thanks, remdk! Do you know when it would get updated if there is an operational change? My DOH-BKK flight was changed at the last minute and I'm hoping that won't happen this time, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.