Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
QR to and from Bangkok

What to expect
A recent trip report for this journey, can be found here:

Photos of the Cabin
You will find photos galore of the J cabin on the A380 and 777 which are some of the aircrafts QR use on the DOH-BKK-DOH route.

You will find photos galore of the F cabin on the A380 here.

Aircraft Layouts
A380: 1-2-1 layout in F and J, 3-4-3 (Lower deck) and 2-4-2 (Upper deck, only accessible for OneWorld status passengers unless the lower deck is full) in Y
787: 1-2-1 layout in J and 3-3-3 in Y
777: 2-2-2 layout in J, 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 (QR834 DOH-BKK-HAN, QR835 HAN-BKK-DOH) in Y
A340-600: 2-2-2 layout in J and 2-4-2 in Y

Which Lounge should I use at BKK?
There are multiple lounges to use in Bangkok, and the best option for you will likely be determined by the time of your flight, and the location of your departure gate.

QR are in the process of opening their own lounge in Bangkok, but as of April 2016, we know very little other than it will be located on Concourse D. Until then, QR recommend J and F passengers use the lounges provided by Thai Airways. These lounges are scattered throughout the airport.

For F passengers, you will get an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal First Lounge, which is located on Concourse E. It is a small area, but QR no longer have an Agreement to use the larger Thai Airways Royal First Lounge on Concourse D. The small area is roped off, and there is a small menu (no buffet), with a decent drinks selection.

For J passengers, and Y passengers with status (Silver and higher) you will receive an invitation to use the Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge. These are located on Concourse C, Concourse D, and Concourse E. A map of the lounges can be found here.

OneWorld Emerald or Sapphire card holders or F or J passengers have also access to two lounges situated on or near the 3rd floor, Concourse G: the recently-opened (2015) Cathay Pacific Lounge (04:00 to between 18:30 and 01:00), and the Japan Airlines lounge (05:45-09:55, 18:00-00:40). While the CX and JL lounges are quite close together, they can be a distance from the QR gates - so keep an eye on the time!

Connecting from Thai (TG) domestic
Thai will through check-in your bags and facilitate you as a "CIQ" passenger through an airside transfer at BKK. They will do this even if you are travelling to BKK on a completely separate TG ticket, but you will need to show evidence of the QR flight (ticket number or online check-in receipt). This is based on leaving from Chiang Mai, but should work for other Thai airports.

The process is particularly useful in avoiding security queues landside to airside at BKK, and gets neatly around QR's restrictions on check-in opening times at the airport.

CIQ stands for Customs Immigration and Quarantine: nothing to do with Chiquimula airport in Guatamala

Will I be given pyjamas and an amenity kit? Reports vary, but have a look at this thread before flying to prepare your expectations -

What meals are served? This is dependent on the timing of your flight and class of travel, but 1 or 2 full meals are usually offered by QR. Menus can be found via the QR Dashboard. F menus and Y menus are here.

Will I be offered Fast-Track through Immigration?
- Departure from BKK : you will get a Fast-Track (Premium Lane) voucher if travelling in J or F, or travelling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status.
- Arrival to BKK : if you are traveling in J or F, you will be provided with a Fast-Track voucher upon landing in Bangkok. Hold on to your boarding pass as you deplane, as the brown Fast Track vouchers are sometimes given out at the top of the gate rather than on the plane. If you are traveling in Y with Silver, Gold or Platinum status, you have to request the Fast-Track voucher at the QR agent at the gate.

What time does check-in open? Check in opens 3 hours before your departure time. QR police this quite strictly.
Print Wikipost

QR to and from Bangkok (BKK) - Non Lounge Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver
I am flying from OSL-BKK in J and was thinking of booking a return ticket in economy with Thai airways to get to Phuket.

I have two questions: firstly, can I check my bags for Phuket in Oslo? Do Qatar and Thai Airways have an agreement?

Secondly, can I use the lounge when I arrive in BKK from the biz flight from Osl? Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: SK Diamond, QR Platinum, AA Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by umbyboy
I am flying from OSL-BKK in J and was thinking of booking a return ticket in economy with Thai airways to get to Phuket.

I have two questions: firstly, can I check my bags for Phuket in Oslo? Do Qatar and Thai Airways have an agreement?

Secondly, can I use the lounge when I arrive in BKK from the biz flight from Osl? Thanks
QR is very restrictive when it comes to interlining bags with airlines in different alliances, so I can almost guarantee you you won't get it checked all the way unfortunately. I've tried the same with PG, from OSL.

Pretty sure you don't have any "arrival lounge" access.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by sexten
QR is very restrictive when it comes to interlining bags with airlines in different alliances, so I can almost guarantee you you won't get it checked all the way unfortunately. I've tried the same with PG, from OSL.

Pretty sure you don't have any "arrival lounge" access.
Thanks for the info, really appreciate!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)

QR and TG do interline, but I've not had success getting QR to check through bags on separate tickets (YMMV)

PG will definitely check through bags and issue boarding passes on separate tickets on your way back, and in fact they're set up to do so. I suspect TG is the same, but be careful not to book the Thai Smile-operated flights, as they operate like a quasi LCC (only interline to Thai)

There are no arrival lounges at BKK for any airline. If you fly PG to HKT, you can use their Y class departure lounge, but it's just a waiting room with free soft drinks and slow wifi - no showers if that's what you were after
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by kt74
QR and TG do interline, but I've not had success getting QR to check through bags on separate tickets (YMMV)

PG will definitely check through bags and issue boarding passes on separate tickets on your way back, and in fact they're set up to do so. I suspect TG is the same, but be careful not to book the Thai Smile-operated flights, as they operate like a quasi LCC (only interline to Thai)

There are no arrival lounges at BKK for any airline. If you fly PG to HKT, you can use their Y class departure lounge, but it's just a waiting room with free soft drinks and slow wifi - no showers if that's what you were after
PG=Bangkok Airways
TG=Thai Airways

And yeah, I forgot to say that, the other way around TG will most likely check the bags all the way for you. Have done with success in the past, on separate tickets. But remember this is not something the airline/check-in agent is required to do for you, so ask nicely for it
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:00 am

PG=Bangkok Airways
TG=Thai Airways

And yeah, I forgot to say that, the other way around TG will most likely check the bags all the way for you. Have done with success in the past, on separate tickets. But remember this is not something the airline/check-in agent is required to do for you, so ask nicely for it
Thank you for your help. At least I'll be able to buy loads of presents in Phuket and bring them back
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:07 am

Thank you for your help. At least I'll be able to buy loads of presents in Phuket and bring them back
When in Phuket and shopping, check out the Phuket Town Weekend Night Market
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...wn_Phuket.html
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:23 am

Phuket

When in Phuket and shopping, check out the Phuket Town Weekend Night Market
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...wn_Phuket.html
Thanks for the tip
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Two months ago I checked one bag in BKK QR to CPH, showed ticket CPH-BRU on SN, lady asked if SN was LCC , checked her computer and tagged my bag to BRU, saved me some hassle at CPH, did OLCI for SN flight.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by tartempion
Two months ago I checked one bag in BKK QR to CPH, showed ticket CPH-BRU on SN, lady asked if SN was LCC , checked her computer and tagged my bag to BRU, saved me some hassle at CPH, did OLCI for SN flight.
SN is part of OneWorld. QR will generally do this for airlines that is part of OneWorld, but never (not anymore) for airlines outside of the alliance.

Even with premium tickets, platinum and a smile
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
SN is part of OneWorld. QR will generally do this for airlines that is part of OneWorld, but never (not anymore) for airlines outside of the alliance.

Even with premium tickets, platinum and a smile
I thought that SN (Brussels Airlines) was part of Star Alliance?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
I thought that SN (Brussels Airlines) was part of Star Alliance?
Errrr... Sorry about that You're absolutely right.
The poster must have been incredibly lucky then, I've heard no (recent) stories of them ticketing all the way with a separate booking on a different alliance
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
1. Is there an arrivals lounge in BKK when arriving from DOH on QR, with BA Silver status?

2. And about the upstairs seating on the A380 -in the wiki it says only for sapphire status members - is this enforced?
Is there more space and legroom?
And How full does it get?

Thanks.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:08 am

Programs: The Embassy
Originally Posted by benberg2013
1. Is there an arrivals lounge in BKK when arriving from DOH on QR, with BA Silver status?
No
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013

2. And about the upstairs seating on the A380 -in the wiki it says only for sapphire status members - is this enforced?
Is there more space and legroom?
And How full does it get?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure this is enforced, yes.
I usually have a small peak behind the curtains when in the bar, and I've never seen it nowhere full. Last time I checked I couldn't see any pax at all (it was dark though).

About the leg-room I do not know. Just one thing to remember, these seats are right behind the bar, just separated by a (thick) curtain. If someone chooses to have a party in the bar, I would imagine it would be quite audible in this cabin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.