Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

A380 BKK LHR, F & J comparative review, some thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: The Embassy

So I flew:

QR833 BKK->DOH A380 in J
QR007 DOH->LHR 777-ER in J

and return

QR004 LHR->DOH A380 upgraded J to F at the airport
QR836 DOH->BKK A380 in J

My first time in F, and my first time on an A380.

Some thoughts:
  • I was told no availability over and over, but once at the airport, the upgrade was no issue. This matches my experience on all other carriers...
  • J to F is only 25 QCredits for LHR->DOH; I was going to use miles, the agent suggested burning the QCredits instead, which was great as I'd forgotten I even had them
  • Didn't feel any real difference in food between F and J. When flying from Heathrow, stock up at the lounge, where the food is great
  • The bed is slightly more comfortable in F than J, but there's a real lack of storage space. There's a locker to hang your shirt and jacket, but the J seats in the A380 are full of useful cubbyholes, and there's an overhead locker. The only option in F was to shove stuff under my foot rest, and this was a pain.
  • Service much much more attentive in F, although it took me a while to find the service button (it's a pinhead-sized button on the TV)
  • The toilets are huge in F, but ... for what? I can't work out what you'd do with the long bench included. Also, I managed to flood the bathroom from the sink twice. There's something really odd about the design of the tap, and both times I had to use all the little towels to clear up after myself.
  • There's something odd about the locks on the doors. I walked in on three people this trip who had somehow forgotten to lock the door, including one air stewardess touching up her makeup in F; never had this happen before on any airline
  • Amenity kit seems pretty much identical, except the bag is a bit bigger in F; this is useful, because I reuse my amenity kit bags for all sorts of stuff, and I needed a slightly bigger one anyway :-P The pyjamas are marginally nicer in F, but with L/XL I was lost in the top, and the trousers were skin-tight. These are clearly designed for beer bellies who skip leg days ;-)
  • I was too hot in F and couldn't figure out it/how to use the air cooler. This was no problem in the J seats
  • Free wifi vouchers in F, and they're not shy about giving you several to connect all your devices (and, as it happens, to get a free connection on the subsequent flight)
  • Love the onboard lounge, and I realize this is a bit speciality, but a great range of mocktails, a non-alcoholic beer, and the same non-alcoholic champagne I've found elsewhere on QR. These may be available everywhere and I've just not asked for them before. The staff working the bar also have time to chat, which is really nice.
  • LHR->DOH a smattering of young Qatari guys with me in F. I poked my head in DOH->BKK and it seemed empty
  • I really like the J seat, but the J cabin feels crowded; I'm not sure why. I love that I don't have anyone next to me if I'm at the window though.
  • They woke me up to give me a mattress in F O_o. Didn't get back to sleep. Ooops.
  • Both at LHR and DOH, you go to try and board, and you get redirected to the _other_ gate 12 or whatever. No signs, no suggestion, you just rock up to board, and then have another 100m to go. Setup at BKK is much better.
  • I explored my options of BKK lounges rather than heading to the Thai one. CX was lovely and quiet, and JAL has sushi and also magical Japanese toilets with all sorts of buttons.

Sorry for the rambling stream of consciousness
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:02 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
That's very interesting, thanks for your thoughts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:21 am

very interesting.
did you take pyjama for memory's of F?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, ALL Accor Live Gold
I completely agree about the bathrooms, and the tap design is totally useless.

I also was too hot in F
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:20 am
Suspended

Good stuff!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
Thanks really nice sum up. Looking forward on trying QR soon. CPH-DOH-BKK
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
>I explored my options of BKK lounges rather than heading to the Thai one. CX was lovely and quiet, and JAL has sushi and also magical Japanese toilets with all sorts of buttons.

Thanks for that report.
Have not been flying QR for 7 years, will check how to get 25 QCredits to upgrade to F.

I have 4 segments booked in J for 2015 on QR A380 Bkk-DOH and can I choose between J lounge TH, CX or JAL???
I don't particularly like the Thai Orchid lounge in concourse E
Plan to have the Novotel buffet at 18.00 (costs 1000THB) for flight leaving 20.45.
Had many buffets in Thailand, Novotel BKK airport was the best.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: QR Gold, Skyteam Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Service F and J Doha-Europe: no proper meal?

This is a very interesting thread indeed and I share most of your views. Basically, there is a lack of differentiation between both classes..apart from the very spacy and elegant F cabin which I love.

I am curious to get views though on another service point. In both classes QR serves on their flights Doha-Europe a hot breakfast, to be followed by light bites later. In contrast, EK would start with a Continental breakfast and offer you later - on demand - a full, 5 course luxury meal, with caviar and all the bling bling. Personally, I very much prefer the EK concept. Starting from Doha I would have had breakfast in the lounge - same probably for flyers coming from Asia. So a continetal breakfast on board would be fine, allowing me to have a proper full First Class meal in the last third of the flight. Compared to an overboarding luxury table on EK, I found the table in Qatars A380 F with this little sándwich and some green over it very sad and not my idea of a First Class Service.

Curious whether I am the only one.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by homer3152
This is a very interesting thread indeed and I share most of your views. Basically, there is a lack of differentiation between both classes..apart from the very spacy and elegant F cabin which I love.

I am curious to get views though on another service point. In both classes QR serves on their flights Doha-Europe a hot breakfast, to be followed by light bites later. In contrast, EK would start with a Continental breakfast and offer you later - on demand - a full, 5 course luxury meal, with caviar and all the bling bling. Personally, I very much prefer the EK concept. Starting from Doha I would have had breakfast in the lounge - same probably for flyers coming from Asia. So a continetal breakfast on board would be fine, allowing me to have a proper full First Class meal in the last third of the flight. Compared to an overboarding luxury table on EK, I found the table in Qatars A380 F with this little sándwich and some green over it very sad and not my idea of a First Class Service.

Curious whether I am the only one.
I had a great time on my QR F service from DOH-LHR. I found I could order whatever I wanted, so I primarily ordered more brunch/lunch type items without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.