Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Security Checks When Transferring at Doha

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Security Checks When Transferring at Doha

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Banana4321
So they're trusted to originate passengers and fly people into Doha - but not out. How odd.
An airport is "trusted" if its security screenings are considered rigorous enough. If you are coming in from LHR, you've already been screened at LHR security. If you are going to LHR, you have not been screened by LHR security (but in this case by BOM security, which is apparently not trusted).

What on earth does "trusted to fly people into Doha - but not out" mean?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 5:14 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
An airport is "trusted" if its security screenings are considered rigorous enough. If you are coming in from LHR, you've already been screened at LHR security. If you are going to LHR, you have not been screened by LHR security (but in this case by BOM security, which is apparently not trusted).

What on earth does "trusted to fly people into Doha - but not out" mean?
Well...for example...if BOM security isn't trusted then why does DOH accept flights from that location?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Banana4321
Well...for example...if BOM security isn't trusted then why does DOH accept flights from that location?
Again, you seem confused. There is no reason not to "accept" a flight. By the time the flight has landed in DOH, there is no security threat to that flight, since the flight is over.

The point of "trusted" has to do with whether further security checks should be performed before incoming passengers from a given airport are allowed to transfer to another flight.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, you seem confused. There is no reason not to "accept" a flight. By the time the flight has landed in DOH, there is no security threat to that flight, since the flight is over.

The point of "trusted" has to do with whether further security checks should be performed before incoming passengers from a given airport are allowed to transfer to another flight.
Sorry I am confused. Are you suggesting that someone so inclined who successfully brought a forbidden item through another airport's security would forego a bad deed on the inbound flight and wait for his connecting flight?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Originally Posted by hillrider
Sorry I am confused. Are you suggesting that someone so inclined who successfully brought a forbidden item through another airport's security would forego a bad deed on the inbound flight and wait for his connecting flight?
Maybe a crazy scientist from a third world country bringing ebola to UK via Doha?

As the third world country airport is not trusted so everyone needs to be checked again in DOH

Well it makes sense theoretically but not practically...security in DOH is not serious anyway, its kind of like they do it because they have to according to some rules or whatever..
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Yes, of course, if (for example) the second flight is a bigger plane than those used for BOM-DOH, and thus a bigger story. Or maybe the second flight will be carrying a specific high-profile passenger. Or maybe the first flight is on QR but the second flight is on another carrier that is the real target. Or the crazy scientist scenario (although of course airport security doesn't actually test for Ebola, but never mind).

In any case, DOH is responsible for the actions of passengers boarding planes at DOH. if something happens, it can't just blame BOM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, of course, if (for example) the second flight is a bigger plane than those used for BOM-DOH, and thus a bigger story. Or maybe the second flight will be carrying a specific high-profile passenger. Or maybe the first flight is on QR but the second flight is on another carrier that is the real target. Or the crazy scientist scenario (although of course airport security doesn't actually test for Ebola, but never mind).

In any case, DOH is responsible for the actions of passengers boarding planes at DOH. if something happens, it can't just blame BOM.
Thanks. It all makes perfect sense; I guess I lack the imagination to carry out such deeds!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
In about a dozen transits since HIA opened, I can see no logic in this. I reckon 40% of the time we've bypassed security and been dumped directly into one of the concourses.

I've arrived at jetbridges and by bus, on wide body and narrow body, and at most of the concourses. I've arrived from AUH, DXB, SHJ, BAH, BKK and LHR.

I had put it down to ongoing construction works.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by sharp5flat9
In about a dozen transits since HIA opened, I can see no logic in this. I reckon 40% of the time we've bypassed security and been dumped directly into one of the concourses.

I've arrived at jetbridges and by bus, on wide body and narrow body, and at most of the concourses. I've arrived from AUH, DXB, SHJ, BAH, BKK and LHR.

I had put it down to ongoing construction works.
Correct it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

If (say) BOM is "trusted" to implement security enough allow people on a BA flight to London then why are those same passengers not "trusted" to get on a QR plane from Doha to London having been checked by the very same people at BOM?

"bigger plane, bigger story" - eh????

"DOH is responsible for the actions of passengers boarding planes at DOH. if something happens, it can't just blame BOM" - so you are saying that every airport that does not implement comprehensive security checking of transfer passengers is delinquent in their responsibilities wrt security????

"Again, you seem confused" - too right!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
It's also a matter of the destination accepting a particular flight. I know that a flight bound for the US must be screened by a security team vetted by US authorities. There was a brief period when Qatar security was not authorized by the US authorities and flights from Qatar to the US had to stop somewhere in Europe and have pax go through a security clearance before they could continue.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Enhanced security screening?

Anyone experienced this since 21 Dec 2014? Don't much like the idea of everyone having to take out electronics and liquids when I'm on a short connection!

http://qatarairways.zendesk.com/entr...ity-Procedures

Also, do QR PC members get to use the security screening fast-track when travelling in Y? Could be good to know in case this does significantly slow things down...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Anyone experienced this since 21 Dec 2014? Don't much like the idea of everyone having to take out electronics and liquids when I'm on a short connection!

http://qatarairways.zendesk.com/entr...ity-Procedures

Also, do QR PC members get to use the security screening fast-track when travelling in Y? Could be good to know in case this does significantly slow things down...
This has actually been the 'norm' for most other large international airports so HIA is just playing catch-up here.

I'm actually so used to taking out my iPhone/laptop/iPad at security and its funny because I always walk up to the security at HIA with my bag hanging to the side, ready to pop open the zipper so I can take these out and the security guy goes 'no need to take out electronics'.

Now with these 'enhancements' I won't have to look so weird when going through security at HIA.

As for the fast track lane, you should be able to use that as an PC/oneworld elite. I've certainly seen people take out their cards and showing them to the staff at the entrance to get in.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Yes you can use fast track,

I traveled in Jan this year and didn't need to take my laptop out
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:17 pm

What happens if you are transiting via Doha and you buy Duty Free in LHR? Say for example sun tan lotion/perfume - will it get through if it is in a sealed bag, or will it be confiscated? Thank you...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Should get through in a sealed bag, at least stuff I bought did (I even kept mine in my bag without any comments from them, DOH security seems more focused on speed...). But LHR don't necessarily even have security at DOH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.