Search

Upgrade at airport using Q-credits/miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, KL/AF Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Upgrade at airport using Q-credits/miles

Hi,

Has anybody tried this yet? I don't seem to find any threads on this.
I am debating booking Y and using some credits or miles on either of the DOH to Germany routes next week.
J shows 2 available revenue seats on most flights, so I am wondering this:
Is the upgrade at airport service based on available redemption seats (which means 1 or 2 seats a flight only), or is QR actually filling the empty J seats prior to flight?
If they are, then this would be excellent. If they are merely filling those redemption award seats, there is hardly a chance to be successful ever.

Please anybody who has experience with this....let us know!

Many thanks and happy travels!!
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: QR Plat
I treid it exiting the business class lounge at HIA, since the qmiles.com email hadn't answered this question for weeks.

It took all of 30 seconds filling in a form, a few keystrokes and I was upgraded with a smile.

As much as it has been discussed in here regarding QR being inconsistent at best, every now and then one hits an outlier on the upside of the curve.

-A
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ph-ndr
I treid it exiting the business class lounge at HIA, since the qmiles.com email hadn't answered this question for weeks.

It took all of 30 seconds filling in a form, a few keystrokes and I was upgraded with a smile.

As much as it has been discussed in here regarding QR being inconsistent at best, every now and then one hits an outlier on the upside of the curve.

-A
That is good news! Thanks!
Remains the question: are they filling any open seats or just the mileage redemption allocation.....
Old Dec 12, 2014, 3:44 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have also upgraded at the lounge. I was denied upgrade request made online (despite the website showing award availability) and then again when I phoned the PC priority line a week later to check if any seats had since opened up. I was told the availability I could see online was for full award bookings only, not upgrades. No problem at the Al Mourjan lounge though - I was upgraded straight away and qcredits taken from my account accordingly.

Can't answer your question as to which inventory the seat came from though, as I'm not really sure why the award inventory I could see online
wasn't extended to upgrades in the first place.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: QR Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by T7ER
Hi,

Has anybody tried this yet? I don't seem to find any threads on this.
I am debating booking Y and using some credits or miles on either of the DOH to Germany routes next week.
J shows 2 available revenue seats on most flights, so I am wondering this:
Is the upgrade at airport service based on available redemption seats (which means 1 or 2 seats a flight only), or is QR actually filling the empty J seats prior to flight?
If they are, then this would be excellent. If they are merely filling those redemption award seats, there is hardly a chance to be successful ever.

Please anybody who has experience with this....let us know!

Many thanks and happy travels!!
Your best bet get get an upgrade is to call QR's call center. All other options (airport, online, email, etc), will yield little to no success.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold. Skywards Silver, Etihad, China Airlines, Thai, Flying Blue, BA.
Had success in doing so three times in the last six weeks. Twice whilst in transit in the Doha lounge and once at Heathrow on the A380. Used miles twice and Q credits once. No problems at all great service and about time as well.

Regards
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:37 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: QR Privilege Club Gold; Accor LeClub Platinum
It seems this service is being expanded to other airports rather swiftly. On top of the airports listed here, it also works at ZRH and I'm sure at many others. It was introduced at ZRH 2 weeks ago, so far only for one-segment upgrades though. Hope this gets changed so the whole itinerary can be upgraded.

Definitely not bound to redemption seats, C is pretty much full, seems like i got the last available seat ^

Last edited by zehbra; Jan 8, 2015 at 5:42 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zehbra
Definitely not bound to redemption seats, C is pretty much full, seems like i got the last available seat ^
Woo hoo - your upgrade came through in the end!! Yay ^
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:53 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by purple1addict
Woo hoo - your upgrade came through in the end!! Yay ^
Indeed! Even though short term gain once again won over possible longer-ish term gain.. I accepted the upgrade on one sector (25 qcredits), rather than gamble on getting a 2-sector upgrade (40 qcredits) at a later point in time. So once again I'm probably left with 15 unusable credits but oh well
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:11 am

Question

Hi all!

First time posting to this forum and reviving this thread in case things have changed! Hoping to leverage on your collective wisdom here!

I'll be flying SIN-DOH-AMS on 21 September (QR945/QR275). Hoping to upgrade DOH-AMS with Qmiles. Should I bother submitting a request via phone / online, or ask at DOH when I get there and just hope for the best?

Thank you!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
Hi all!

First time posting to this forum and reviving this thread in case things have changed! Hoping to leverage on your collective wisdom here!

I'll be flying SIN-DOH-AMS on 21 September (QR945/QR275). Hoping to upgrade DOH-AMS with Qmiles. Should I bother submitting a request via phone / online, or ask at DOH when I get there and just hope for the best?

Thank you!
Well you don't lose anything by submitting the request online in addition to asking at DOH, it takes less than five minutes to do...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Since starting this post I have now upgraded 3 times with miles and credits. Twice at Mourjan lounge and most recently at MAD for 2 pax. It works well and they ARE filling any seats available this way. Great!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Since starting this post I have now upgraded 3 times with miles and credits. Twice at Mourjan lounge and most recently at MAD for 2 pax. It works well and they ARE filling any seats available this way. Great!
Yup, it works like a charm - it would just be great to be able to upgrade A-DOH-B instead of just A-DOH. Anyone know of any developments in this direction?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:21 am

That sounds promising! Thanks for the update!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
Following on from this, does anyone know if it is possible to swap the frequent flyer programme associated with a booking part way through a journey? I have QR Gold (and 40 Q credits to burn) but if upgrade availability remains elusive, I would rather credit the flights to BA Executive Club. I anticipate checking for upgrade availability before the flights and at the airport but would appreciate any feedback on the flexibility of changing the earning partner at short notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.