LHR-RGN in J: when to book?

Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
LHR-RGN in J: when to book?

I am flying from London to Yangon and back in November 2015 and am looking at Qatar Airways business class. Is it too early to book for best price, or can I rely on the fare coming down or a sale in the next few months? Does the usual rule of book three months ahead apply with this airline? Thanks.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My Mum and Dad took a holiday to Burma earlier this year and were faced with precisely the same dilemma. For peace of mind, they decided to book a package through a travel agent approximately six months ahead of travel, even though there may have been the possibility of a saving by waiting later.

Following their booking I monitored the fares out of interest. As it turned out, there would have been no particularly good time to buy. Burma is probably a high willingness to pay market due to it's particularly unique character and relatively closed status. Furthermore, QR does not deploy a large amount of capacity.

There were some promotions in business class, including 241, but by the time they materialised all the sale-applicable fare buckets for the days they needed to travel were closed.

All that said, you are looking at flights nearly a year ahead. I doubt that you would lose out by waiting another six months to see if anything favourable happens.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
In the meantime watch out and pray for another super RGN Mistake Fare !
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I will continue to monitor.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by londinense
Thanks, I will continue to monitor.
Have you considered flying via BKK? I know it means adding an extra-leg but it is much more likely you find good offers to that destination.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Yes I have considered BKK and am monitoring BA for upgrading from WTP to CW, since I have plenty of Avios points I can use. Availability not good though. CW fare is about the same as direct to RGN, and then one has to factor in stop over and flying onward. Thanks anyway.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Another option is KUL too, both BKK and KUL are not bad for RGN (I think KUL has the better J lounge)

I booked MAN > RGN about 7 months before i flew and i got a discounted ticket, but in Y - I am flying in March
Old Dec 9, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by londinense
I am flying from London to Yangon and back in November 2015 and am looking at Qatar Airways business class. Is it too early to book for best price, or can I rely on the fare coming down or a sale in the next few months? Does the usual rule of book three months ahead apply with this airline? Thanks.
What sort of 'best price' are you looking at?

Do you only want to depart from LHR? Cos you know the UK ADP tax alone will add over 200 quid to your ticket. Are you open to flying to say, BKK and then buy a separate ticket to RGN if it saves you money?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I originally booked the two of us in J for flights LHR/RGN last February for departure between Christmas & New Year. The price has hardly changed since we booked.
QR changed the aircraft(319LR to 330/200 2 class) and the timing which meant we arrived in Yangon at 04.45 after a five and a half hour flight. Sod that.
Cancelled,cost me £100, and rebooked EK with a day flight leaving DXB 09.30 and arriving,after a change to MAI in Bangkok, at 21.30 AND the flights were £375 cheaper plus no hotel bill for LHR and a short 25min chauffeur ride to BHX
SS
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Do you only want to depart from LHR? Cos you know the UK ADP tax alone will add over 200 quid to your ticket.
APD will be £142.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ft101
APD will be £142.
Or US$224. Sorry I meant US$
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:39 pm

Programs: LH, PG, BA, SPG, HH
Also remember November is the start of the Tourist high season in Myanmar so flights will be full

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.