Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

75K miles with half expiring and 52K miles from a transfer...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

75K miles with half expiring and 52K miles from a transfer...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance, One World, Qatar Airways Priveledge Club
Smile 75K miles with half expiring and 52K miles from a transfer...

Alright so I'm completely new at this so please be gentle on me guys. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize in advance. Alright, so I've got roughly 75,000 miles with 26,000 miles set to expire on the 31st of Dec. Similarly, my mom has roughly 52,000 miles with around 26,000 miles set to expire on the 31st of Dec. Is there any way I can book a trip from Vancouver (YVR) - Chennai (MAA) with cash or with the miles that I have? Can I do a combination of the two or is that not worth it? My mom can transfer me the miles as well so I could have a combined total of around 120K miles. What's the best usage of these miles? Should I make a booking and then upgrade or should i do a straight redemption? I am also a Silver member if that makes a difference. Also, if it is cheaper or better value, I could start my journey from an american city and make a separate booking between YVR and that city. Sorry I'm quite new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Breakdown:
My miles: 75,000
Expiring miles: 26,000

Mother's miles: 52,000
Expring miles: 26,000

Potential Total after Transfer: 125,000
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Can someone shed some light or point me in the right direction?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 2:48 am

Check online. They have the Qmiles calculator, how much miles you need for that segment and also the transfer fees. You can transfer the miles but the charges are high. Might as well just use it to redeem flights or duty free.

You can do cash plus miles too. You just need to log onto the PC website and play around.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Apparently I can fly from Philiedelphia to MAA for 115K miles but the dates are restricted. For that to happen I would have to pay $600 to transfer the miles to my account from my mom's account. What do you mean I might as well use it to redeem miles or duty free. This is an alternative to what? Also overtime I do try to make a booking it just tells me I have insufficient miles. I know this already, but it doesn't tell me how many I need or how much the ticket costs, which makes things a bit difficult for me.

Last edited by harusadu; Nov 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
I recommend sigining up for points.com or other points wallets. SImply having an acct with them will ensure ur balance does not expire.

Alternatively, spend on a branded credit card, which I am unsure if u can.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pstravels
I recommend sigining up for points.com or other points wallets. SImply having an acct with them will ensure ur balance does not expire.

Alternatively, spend on a branded credit card, which I am unsure if u can.
I'm pretty sure that my points with Krisflyer and Qatar Airways are set to expire regardless of any account activity. Rather, I am forced to use the miles on my account or face losing them. Please correct me if I am wrong. Qatar Airways is making it extremely difficult for me to redeem my miles though. I can't even tell if the class I am booking on will be upgradable on the QR website. All QR fares from YVR are easily $300-500 more than the competition.I also have an account with awardwallet.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.