Seat Dilema

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Red face Seat Dilema

Hi Guys

I am confused between 15H and 24H of Economy class. What do you guys think is a better pick?

This is the Seat guru link for the Qatar flight.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qat..._777-300ER.php

Thanks guys.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by La_Ila_Iley
Hi Guys

I am confused between 15H and 24H of Economy class. What do you guys think is a better pick?

This is the Seat guru link for the Qatar flight.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qat..._777-300ER.php

Thanks guys.
Welcome to FT!

What are you confused about? 15H is in a smaller cabin, apart from that...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks impeymac!
Yeah I was thinking that the smaller cabin would definitely be better .But would the proximity to the toilet be bothersome versus 24H ?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by La_Ila_Iley
Thanks impeymac!
Yeah I was thinking that the smaller cabin would definitely be better .But would the proximity to the toilet be bothersome versus 24H ?
Maybe, but how does this compare against being a long way from the toilets & in the middle of a large group of pax all trying to get past a trolley in the aisle when you're desperate?

Only you know how you feel about these things...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much impeymac
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:17 pm

Unhappy Row 17 or 24 in Coach Cabin on 777-300 Aircraft

I have flown a couple of long legs seated in row 17 in the 777-300 aircraft where that is the last row in the forward coach cabin. (Seats 17A, 17B, 17D, 17E, 17F, 17J & 17K.) My comments would also apply to row 24 in those "small business class" variants of the 777-300 where that was the last row in the forward coach cabin.

As the original poster notes, the seats in row 17 are very close to the lavatories. Very close indeed. Those facilities are used by everybody in the forward coach cabin, plus everybody in the forward part of the next coach cabin. In other words, those lavatories are *VERY* busy.

Usually the lavatory line extends aft and there is a little knot of people just behind the bulkhead and in front of the exit door. That wouldn't be so bad for the folks in row 17, but unfortunately people also tend to bunch up immediately outside the lavatory doors. I don't know why they think hovering 18 inches from the door will shorten the wait, but apparently they do. When that happens they end up hovering over your shoulder. If you have an aisle seat this is particularly annoying.

Moreover, on my legs between Doha and Bangkok I noticed there seemed to be a significant number of passengers who were less than familiar with standard lavatory operation. Some were baffled by the mechanism on the lavatory door that locked it and displayed an "occupied" message to those waiting. Several times the flight attendants had to assist passengers who had locked themselves in the lavatory and couldn't figure out how to unlock the door. There were also incidents where a passenger would enter the lavatory without locking the door, after which the next guy in line would try to enter too -- causing many colorful international hand gestures. Finally I saw quite a few parent/child pairings who seemed to take an inordinately long time in the lavatories. Again this caused people to congregate in the vicinity of the lavatories, to the detriment of those seated nearby.

Bottom line? I think Seatguru is correct. On the 777-300 those seated in the row just in front of the forward coach lavatories will definitely be bothered by the crowds.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Whoa!!!Thanks M70B50

I was thinking of 15 H versus 24. I was thinking that since it was a smaller cabin it would be better or something like the Premium economy cabin of BA (in size).

Also , people congregating around the toilet, would that be around seat 15 as well?

Yeah I have chosen aisle seat. I am very fidgety on long haul flights and have to keep moving and I just hate to bother the people seated next to me .
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:59 am

Question 777-300 -- Forward Coach Cabin Pros & Cons

I was thinking of 15 H versus 24. I was thinking that since it was a smaller cabin it would be better or something like the Premium economy cabin of BA (in size).

The forward coach cabin on the 777-300s has fewer seats than the coach cabin aft of the bulkhead where the exit doors are located, but that doesn't make it better. The seat pitch and width in the forward cabin is the same as in the rest of coach, so I don't think it's like the "premium economy" product offered by other carriers. As I noted above, the lavatories are closer to the forward cabin. But that's a mixed blessing.

When it comes to getting on and off the 777-300, the forward cabin can be good or bad. If you board through the first, second or third doors on the left side of the aircraft it's only a short walk to the forward coach cabin. But if you board through the door back near the tail you have to fight your way past most of the coach passengers to reach the forward coach cabin. The last time I connected in Doha, they were still using buses and boarding coach passengers through the tail door. This may have changed now that the new Hamad Intl Airport is open. Finally, if your destination is one where it's advantageous to beat the crowd to the immigration desk (Bangkok, for example) there is a small advantage to sitting in the forward coach cabin because you deplane earlier. I would recommend 10C, 11C or 12C for this purpose.

Also, people congregating around the toilet, would that be around seat 15 as well?

Row 15 in the forward coach cabin on the 777-300s is far enough away from the lavatories that you won't be bothered by the scrum that develops farther aft. I would caution that the families with infants are often seated in row 10, which is the very first row in that cabin. Sometimes the little tykes can get fussy during a long flight.

I am very fidgety on long haul flights and have to keep moving and I just hate to bother the people seated next to me.

Then I would recommend choosing one of the D seats or F seats. The E seats are in the center of the center row and they fill up last. If your flight is not totally full you might luck out and get an empty seat next to you. More room for your stuff and nobody asking to climb over you to reach the aisle.

Bunky

Last edited by M70B50; Oct 30, 2014 at 8:01 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much Bunky.Also anyone can pitch in about the the layout of ORD Airport T5 ?. Is it a quick walk to the immigration ?

Last edited by La_Ila_Iley; Oct 26, 2014 at 9:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.