Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making the most of F

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Making the most of F

I'm flying LHR to DOH tomorrow night in F. Other than getting some decent food, and some sleep (which is why I'm in F) is there anything else I should take advantage of?
I've never flown with Qatar before and never on LH First. Usually on BA in J or Y.

What's the food like in the lounge at LHR? Is it worth eating there instead of on the plane so I can get more sleep or will I be missing out?
Suggestions welcome.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Which aircraft are you flying on? This will make quite a difference!

The A340 F is a very average experience;

They serve Krug, the wine list is very good, the food is good but the hard product is somewhat lacking compared to the latest offerings. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent seat that goes horizontal & will be made into a bed (complete with mattress & PJ's) by the crew. But the IFE screen is small, the IFE selection on QR Airbus' isn't bad but not as good as the other QE aircraft & the toilets are cramped.

I haven't flown F on the A380 but it looks to be quite good & of course there's the onboard bar which I enjoyed very much as a J passenger! The A380 J offering is excellent by the way.

The LHR lounge is a 'Premium' lounge, used jointly by F & J passengers. Don't let this fool you as it's absolutely superb; top notch food & drink, waited service, deli & restaurant areas.

For me it would depend on what I'm doing the next day. If you're intending to work it might be better to enjoy the lounge, have some Krug after take off & then sleep. The flight time LHR-DOH isn't that long & so eating onboard will significantly deplete sleeping time.

YMMV...
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks. When I booked it said it would be an A330. I expect it's a bit dated but I don't plan to watch the IFE. I think I'll take your advice and eat in the lounge.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by ppp909

I think I'll take your advice and eat in the lounge.
Having flown QR J LHR-DOH overnight three times in the past 10 weeks or so (once on QR002, twice on QR016), the advice given by impeymac is also my strategy.

Best to 'fill your boots' with what QR has to offer in their LHR T4 lounge (the best at LHR, in my opinion) with their fine wines and food. Immediately upon boarding your flight, change into QR-supplied pyjamas and as soon as possible after take-off recline your seat as far as it will go and go to sleep - with an instruction to be woken 45-60 minutes before landing in DOH for breakfast. To reiterate what has been stated above, time spent eating and drinking in flight will severely erode the amount of time available for you to sleep.

For the overnight flight, paying for F over J probably isn't worth the extra cost.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
For the overnight flight, paying for F over J probably isn't worth the extra cost.
Probably, but as I was booking at the last (almost) minute I had a choice of a flexible J flight or a non-flexible F, which was cheaper. As I knew I wasn't going to change the booking I went for the latter.

Fine wine and a good night's kip is in order.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I agree with impeymac and Phil the Flyer and would take dinner in the lounge before maximising sleep time onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.